May 22, 2019, 06:06:01 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Eyes only finds » Rock Hopping

Author Topic: Rock Hopping  (Read 3531 times)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
Rock Hopping
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »
EJ, M and I shot off to Yorkshire for the school break intentions to have a beach holiday with some detecting, Fossiling and game fishing sessions.
The CTX and Deus were never unpacked despite permissions in the area and the rods stayed in their tubes even with game fishing rights on the Esk.

Spent all our time mucking about on the sand and full on Fossil collecting this is somthing we have on and off dabbled in over the years. This was our first full on search with geological hammers and rock chisels. Found several different types of fossils after many hours of searching, frankly for me it was more productive than detecting in addition to which EJ found a chunk of Jet about £120+ worth which was a great find considering the time of the year for beach and weather conditions.

Thought I would start posting up our finds over the next few days or so. Over a 10 day period we walked miles and investigated hundreds of concretions/nodules mostly containing nothing but rock with the odd fossil some of which sadly broke  :'( others are still to be opened and sit here at home waiting for that expectant moment 8)

First post up is a hard nodule which was hit just the once that produced this complete Ammonite, really nice fossil from the upper Jurassic strata its yet to be fully identified after cleaning it up.
Great holiday with just for a change eyes only finds and no detectors involved.

This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

FergalThang

• Dig Attendee
  • Team T2
Re: Rock Hopping
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »
That's stunning mate!!  :o ;D

Something I have always fancied but never had the chance to get round to it...  Cue childhood story....

I first saw someone doing it on a beach near Oban, I must have been about 10, I don't recall him finding anything but remember him cracking stones with his tools. After he departed I decided to look for some myself. Not knowing what to look for I picked up a reasonable sized stone and threw it against a rock face, sadly it didn't break but flew straight back and caught me square on the forehead! Not don it since... :laugh: :laugh:
Friendship is like wetting yourself, everyone can see it, but only you feel the warmth that it brings.

2014 Hammy x 7 :)
2015 Hammy x 16 ;D
2016 Hammy x 2

GCC

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »
Wow !  thats a superb find Robin.   8)      Looking forward to seeing more pics, and hopefully seeing the fossils in the flesh sometime soon.  :)
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

MagicMark

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
That's brilliant, would love to find a fossil like that
TEAM MINELAB

CTX3030
Garrett Propointer

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »
Nice one
4 coin hoards.

DartmoorRanger

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • TEAM MINELAB, TEAM XP
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
Excellent find Robin, very impressive indeed. I look forward to seeing your other finds. :)
Minelab Etrac, RNB Innovations ML3100, SEF 15x12 Coil, GOG Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, JR Stainless 'V' Blade, JR Stainless Ultimate Digger.
XP Deus

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 06:49:39 PM »
Me too 8)

P0k3Rman

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »
...cracking find mate, and if you both enjoyed yourselves then that is all that matters!!!

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
Brilliant finds but how do you identify one particular stone that might have a fossil inside?
Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Nokta RS Pinpointer

s60tty

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »
Very nice Robin , I`ve seen folk up near Kilt rock doing that fossiling .maybe head up there this "summer"  8) 8)
The trust of the innocent is the liars most useful tool .

wayoutwest

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
Thats different Robin,.. sounds like a happy afternoon

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 10:32:52 PM »
Cheers for comments guys and nice story Gordon. In answer to which rock to pick depends on: 1) is there a hint of a fossil showing 2) Does the shape give a clue 3) Or perhaps given the local conditions perhaps rock colour.

We were inland and Erica scaled 40ft up a steep shale slope and spotted a tiny bit of that nodule which she dug out with the chisel tip of the hammer, I was lucky with the hit.

Frankly just like detecting Luck is important and getting your eye zoned in. loads of rocks were split most were just rock (concretion) which is an object perhaps a pebble trapped in the surrounding forming sediment that has chemicals attracted to it which rapidly harden becoming much harder than the surrounding bedrock these can be smaller than your fist or up to many tons in weight some form perfect balls called cannonballs.

The process is similar for a fossil only it has to be the right conditions of sediment burial at the right pressure with chemicals present that are attracted to the dead animal in a manner to form a hard rock shell around it, often these chemicals precipitate through its body effectively mummifying it. Many tons of pressure build up under sediment or perhaps water pressure as well turning everything into rock. If the above process is flawed the creature is crushed and may just leave a ghost of its passing.

So that was the long answer to the short question of which rock?

EJ M and I have a long long way to go on a steep learning curve just trying to grasp the basics.

I think the hook is when you open the nodule you are the first living person to see it, so like detecting hooks all of us for many similar reasons I guess its the unknown that attracts all of us.

If I have not yet bored the arses off all of you I will post some other bits soon.

This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

Thorfinn

• Dig Attendee
  • Keep on diggin' on - T2 se with SEF Coil
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 06:00:25 PM »
That's a beauty, I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's Dactylioceras?  ;)
Ross County FC 2 Hibs 1
My name is Chris.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorfinn_the_Mighty

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 07:13:11 AM »
I tend to agree with you, once prepared which one of the family should be more clearer

Gracie cobbler

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 10:20:10 PM »
How cool is that! I've loved collecting stones since I was a kid, don't know why lol. I smashed a geodite which I found when doing my mums garden. It had a kinda rough rusty outer and I was banging it off the slabs (I was 9) and it smashed open to reveal wee purple (if my mind serves correctly) glass things, I thought cool little cristals and found its away as I badly smashed it. In retrospect I wish I knew just exactly what I had :( , however I've found out about an area that's worth searching if I ever get around to it
I've been running digs since blah blah blah, I'm a professional ;)