August 18, 2019, 10:40:30 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Eyes only finds » Something Fishy

Author Topic: Something Fishy  (Read 1544 times)

Acoustic

• Dig Attendee
  • Junk clearance expert
Something Fishy
« on: May 22, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
Here is another one of the Fossils Erica and I found on our trip Sarf in April.
Identified as possible teeth of a Pycnodus fish by the Natural History Museum, on our next trip down we are going to let a Geologist in the area it was found in handle it and see if the underlying matrix is all fossil. We remain to be convinced off its full ID.

The Fossil is water worn.

The known whole fossils of Pycnodus have a superficial resemblance to angelfish or butterflyfish. The animals, as typical of all other pycnodontids, had many knob-like teeth, forming pavements in the jaws with which to break and crush hard food substances, probably mollusks and echinoderms.

This is what this fish looked like, sadly we did not find this one

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:38:47 PM by Acoustic »
This hobby brings the worst out in the ODD individual, however thankfully brings out the best in the majority of individuals.......Learnt by experience

DartmoorRanger

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • TEAM MINELAB, TEAM XP
Re: Something Fishy
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
Excellent find Robin, and thank you for all the interesting information also.  :)
Minelab Etrac, RNB Innovations ML3100, SEF 15x12 Coil, GOG Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, JR Stainless 'V' Blade, JR Stainless Ultimate Digger.
XP Deus

P0k3Rman

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
...nice find and I hope the ID works out for you!!

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:00:27 PM »
A very interesting find Robin, I wonder what those teeth last feasted on  :)    I thought for a minute the second pic was the remains of last nights dinner  :D

When I get back from my hols I will need to pop down for a closer look at the fossils,  :)
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 07:56:57 PM »
There's a more-than-superficial resemblance to what my local fish-and-chip emporium dishes up... they could probably identify it for you... Good and interesting find! Let's see what it is for sure... Talking of echinoderms, we used to hand-feed sea-urchins to Ballan wrasse (very inquisitive fish) who would come by for a look-see when we were reef-diving. Good post! Cheers!  :)