May 19, 2019, 05:54:16 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Dumbarton foreshore location

Author Topic: Dumbarton foreshore location  (Read 7101 times)

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
Dumbarton foreshore location
« on: July 28, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
Hi all, I'm very keen to try a bit of detecting at Dumbarton foreshore. i didn't want to put this message in the middle of the important current discussion. Could someone tell me where to go for the best chance of finding shell cases or musket balls, where to park and the best time of day to go?
I would appreciate any advice  :)
Thanks
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
Re: Dumbarton foreshore location
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »
I live in Dumbarton and have detected the River Leven foreshore in the town but not on the River Clyde foreshore which is where I think the guys have been getting all the bullets etc recently. There is plenty of parking for the Clyde shore, either down at the Castle ( straight down Victoria street) or if on the opposite side of the Leven then parking is available all the way down woodyard road.

I assume a low tide is best for the bullet gathering and would advise going down on an outgoing tide near the time of low tide. Tide times can be found here.

http://tides.willyweather.co.uk/strathclyde/renfrewshire/river-clyde----erskine-bridge.html

Although that is for Erskine Bridge they are identical to Dumbarton  for all practical purposes
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
Thank you crepitis, I'll give it a go  :)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:08:24 PM »
When were you thinking of going ? I might take a wander down  :)
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
I plan to go on Thursday. I finish at 3pm and will get there about 4pm. Low tide is 6.36pm on your link. Do you think that time is ok?
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 07:22:51 PM »
Should be fine, the tide will have gone out quite a distance by 4 pm, and it gives you a couple of hours before you need to start thinking about the incoming tide. There are some areas of soft sand/mud on the foreshore, just be careful where you are treading !   
Hopefully one of the guys who has been down for the bullets recently can help you with a more precise location.
Mark Twain

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
I was thinking of going Thursday with alexio is so will see yours there.

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 08:35:01 PM »
At least the weather should be ok the forecast is dry for Thursday  :) best of luck guys
Alba Gu Bra'th

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »
Sounds like a mini DS dig lol

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »
The old maps have the targets marked.

Marc27519

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »
Sounds like a mini DS dig lol

ha ha i was actually thinking of going down thursday as well since it was the only day this week the weather wont be awful :) I have heard there is a better place to park next to the old water works or something and walk down to the foreshore from there. Saves you walking from the castle...

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:42:19 AM »
To get to the water works go down Castlegreen street,  if you are driving in from the Glasgow direction turn left at the traffic lights at the fire station. Continue down Castlegreen street until you go under a low railway bridge, the waterworks are just to the left almost immediately after the bridge.

There are various wee paths that go down to the shore from there, and you can easily park in Castlegreen street itself.
Mark Twain

Marc27519

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »
To get to the water works go down Castlegreen street,  if you are driving in from the Glasgow direction turn left at the traffic lights at the fire station. Continue down Castlegreen street until you go under a low railway bridge, the waterworks are just to the left almost immediately after the bridge.

There are various wee paths that go down to the shore from there, and you can easily park in Castlegreen street itself.

thanks crepitis :)

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
No problem.  :)
Mark Twain

Sinky

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:42:16 PM »
Walking from the castle side follow the path over a foot bridge, walk until you see a small path / clearing to your right and then head towards water. We were detecting mainly the area before the metal pipe which you will see runs down towards the water. Don't go all the way down to waters edge as it gets a bit boggy the closer you get.
You can feel the difference under foot if you get a soft area --- best avoided.

I'm sure the others heading down on Thursday will have favourite patches where they normally get plenty of good targets  ;D

Good luck with the hunt for musket balls and bullets  ;D

2017 :-  Hammered x 10, Milled silver x 18, Roman Brooch x 1, Saxon stirrup mount x 1, silver thimble x 1