November 15, 2019, 11:51:11 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Archaeology run Events & Digs » Archaeology run Digs Sign up & info (Moderators: Lucky LIFE MEMBER, TashaTTU) » Killiecrankie Survey Volunteers Required

Author Topic: Killiecrankie Survey Volunteers Required  (Read 7233 times)

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
Killiecrankie Survey Volunteers Required
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:49:23 PM »
The actual excavations take place between 12th-13th-14th-15th-16th August. During 3 to 4 days of the excavation period a metal detecting survey will take place on the Killiecrankie battlefield site. Eight volunteers are required for each of the 3 to 4 days of the survey. A £30 fee will be given to each volunteer to help with expenses. Could anyone interested in taking part in the survey please make me aware by posting below please. Those who can attend all 3 or 4 days will be given priority over those who can attend only one or so days.  Jim Crombie

wayoutwest

• Dig Attendee
Re: Killiecrankie Survey Volunteers Required
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
The actual excavations take place between 12th-13th-14th-15th-16th August. During 3 to 4 days of the excavation period a metal detecting survey will take place on the Killiecrankie battlefield site. Eight volunteers are required for each of the 3 to 4 days of the survey. A £30 fee will be given to each volunteer to help with expenses. Could anyone interested in taking part in the survey please make me aware by posting below please. Those who can attend all 3 or 4 days will be given priority over those who can attend only one or so days.  Jim Crombie

I would like to put my name down for the 15th and 16th please Jim

...... although I am a little disapionted that I seem to have failed,... I have been trying to get DS [ as a group ] onto this metal detecting survey for a while now,.... and thought that I was going to be successfull after the last couple of Emails,.. it seems I havent been though

Dear Mr Gardner,
Thank you for your email of 16 June to Derek Mackay, Minister for Transport and Islands
concerning your interest in the metal detector survey work being done as part of the A9 dualling.
As this is a matter for which Transport Scotland has responsibility, the Minister has asked me to
thank you for your letter and to reply on his behalf.
The survey work at the Battle of Killiecrankie site is being organised on behalf of Transport
Scotland by Jacobs Engineering and we feel that your knowledge and expertise will complement
the work being undertaken.
The contract for the survey work is currently being tendered but if you could please contact Mr
Jonathan Dempsey of Jacobs he will ensure that you details are passed on to those carrying out
the work and hopefully we can ensure Detecting Scotland’s involvement:
Jonathan Dempsey
Divisional Director Sustainable Solutions
Phone: 0131 659 1500
Email: Jonathan.dempsey@jacobs.com
I hope you find this information useful.
Yours sincerely,
Nick Groom
A9 Dualling Project Administrator

Dear Stuart

Thank you for your email. Please accept my apologies for the late reply but I didn’t receive your earlier email  of 22nd June.

As you are aware, we are not undertaking the metal detecting ourselves but have approached four archaeological companies (CFA, GUARD,   Headland and Rubicon) who will undertake the archaeological metal detecting survey at Killiecrankie on our behalf. 
We are currently undertaking an assessment of the submissions received from these companies and I will be more than happy to provide the successful tenderer with your details. 

Regards

Jonathan Dempsey | Jacobs UK 

Divisional Director | Sustainable Solutions

0131 659 1500 | DD 0131 6591567 | M 07932426447

Jonathan.dempsey@jacobs.com | www.jacobs.com

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:12:28 PM by wayoutwest »

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:25 PM »
Those wishing to attend please add your name below and provide me with the dates you can attend between 12th to 16th August.Could you also "PM" me your e-mail address so Warren Ballie can send out to you all the information you will require to attend--directions clothing to wear etc----thank you ! Could Admin add other volunteers to this list please.

(1) Wayoutwest     15th - 16th August
(2) Lucky                 All 3 or 4 days
(4) MarkA              15th - 16th
(5) garethj             14th - 15th - 16th
(6) Marcos1           12th - 16th
(7) Metalist            12th - 15th
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:57:46 PM by wayoutwest »

MarkA

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
I can do 15th and 16th.

garethj

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
Great opportunity.
Please put me down for the 14th/15th/16th please

Gareth

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:16:56 PM »
Would just like to add that Dr Tony Pollard will be in attendance from the 12th August until the project ends on the 16th August. Most people are aware that the "Two Men In A Trench" series surveyed this battlefield site a good number of years ago. They were helped by a few of our DS members who at the time were members of the Edinburgh Club, Sandy Lyon for example. (Known as "Bagolead" on the DS forum).  Metal detectors used in this first survey were not nearly as good as today's versions are. The person in charge of us metal detectorists will be Mr Warren Ballie the Guard Archaeology Manager. Those who attended the Bannockburn battlefield survey will know Warren well. For those that have never attended these types of surveys you follow the following procedure .

(1) On arrival you complete the appropriate paperwork given to you by Warren.
(2) You will be issued with flags and plastic finds bags.
(3) When carrying out the survey in all metal mode. Each signal you dig up the find is put in a plastic finds bag.Leaving the find in it's plastic bag at it's findspot with a flag highlightening a find has been recovered at that particular spot.
(4) Members of the Guard Archaelogical team at the end of each days survey collect your flags and the find beside it. Take a GPS reading at the findspot of your find and record it on the plastic bag.
(5) All finds recovered are plotted on a map then analysed to see if any patterns can be spotted.
(6) All finds recovered belong to Guard Archaeology .They will be added to those already recovered from the previous survey.
(7) If you have any questions on the day then Warren Baillie is the person who will address them.

Marcos1

• Dig Attendee
  • Team At Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 07:24:48 PM »
I could attend the  12th to 15th  4 day :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:43:31 PM by Marcos1 »
Marcos1 I'e  Mark Urquhart

Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
CP3 TT Headphones

2014 Hammys x 1
2015 Hammys x 7 ,Silver Ring x 1
2016 Hammys x 3
2017 Hammys 5
2018 Hammys 18

Metalist

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 07:39:13 PM »
Dear Jim, I can do all 3 or 4 days but prefer not to do the sun if possible. Regards

Shug100

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:47 PM »
Hi Jim I could do sat sun if any good my friend

Lucky LIFE MEMBER

• Exalted Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:04:38 PM »
12th august--6 so far require another two-- marcos1--lucky--Metalist--budge1--Grant---teejay36uk----

13th august-- full                       ==marcos1--lucky--Metalist--budge1----Grant---teejay36uk---techdoc ---Sireadh

14th august--full         --marcos1--lucky--garethj--Metalist--budge1--Grant---teejay36uk---techdoc

15th august--Saturday Full--marcos1---wayoutwest--MarkA--Metalist--garethj--shug100--budge1--Danny465 

16th august--Sunday full   --wayoutwest--budge1--MarkA--shug100--Lucky--Danny465---teejay36uk---Sireadh
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:07:12 PM by wayoutwest »

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
Hi Jim, I can do all days if you let me know ASAP.
Thanks Budge.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

Danny465

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
Hi Jim I could do the 15th & 16th

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 09:49:21 PM »
Looking forward to doing the old beep and bag again!!

I kinda like not having to lug the funds around  :)

I've added my name to the 12,13&14th but realise one or more of these days may be SARG is that right?
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Danny465

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 09:51:43 PM »
Just talking to teejay36uk he's unable to get online at the moment but asked me to put his name down for the 4 days

wayoutwest

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
Just talking to teejay36uk he's unable to get online at the moment but asked me to put his name down for the 4 days

Which ones Danny, there are five days?,... I added Tommy for the five, I will remove the one day when you find out which day he cant do