March 23, 2019, 01:35:26 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » 2nd DS Rally

Author Topic: 2nd DS Rally  (Read 2994 times)

reiver

• Dig Attendee
  • Etrac user
2nd DS Rally
« on: February 14, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
.Before I start,I have to apologize about not having all the details as yet.So members whose names are not mentioned with some of the finds,please feel free to fill in the blanks ;).
  Arriving at the site at the back of 8 and there were already a couple of cars there.(Keen as mustard this lot).By 9 o'clock there were 30 members,which was good going considering it was kind of short notice and the weather didn't help.It was a pretty damp start to the day :'(.Everyone was keen to get started.so it was ready steady go.
   There were 3 pasture fields and a large stubble field to chose from.I think most folk headed for the stubble.They were easy to spot at lunchtime.It was a bit on the muddy side ::).
    I'm not sure who made the first really good find?.But just before lunch,i came across 2digornot Who showed me 2 cracking hammereds.Charles Ist Shilling and Elizabeth Ist sixpence.Really good condition as well.Then Green found another Lizzy Sixpence in the same area.It was starting to look like a purse loss but there was about 50 years between the dates,so the jury is still out on that one.As you can imagine,that area looked like a Swiss cheese in no time.
 Fisherman came across a strange one.A thick copper coin that had us all guessing.I heard last night.He found it was 3 Turners all stick together.I'm not sure of the condition but I'm sure he'll post a pic later.A few Vicky silver came off the stubble field and I think it was Heart Of Midlothian who found a William III Sixpence.Also well done to Slider and partner.It was there first time out and I'm sure they had a Vicky thrupence  Briso will post pics later on.If i have any of the details wrong,please let me know and I'll amend them.Also feel free to post your own pics,or tell us about your finds.
  Many thanks to all who attended and made it a great day out.Especially when the rain stopped at lunch time

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:22:26 PM by reiver »
Beep Beep.What's it going to be this time.

shug

• Dig Attendee
    • Up yer kilt Magazine
Re: 2nd DS Rally
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:36:29 PM »
sorry riever but it was fisherman that got the three turners stuck together wish it was me just to rub grants face in it  :D :D :D
Jack The Ripper would be a great name for a fitness trainer.

reiver

• Dig Attendee
  • Etrac user
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »
So it was :).He was with Solas.Grant would have been spitting feathers if it was you ;D

green

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
Stuart (username?) found the first two hammered and was heading away when I found my Lizzy sixpence, it was within about ten feet of the spot where he found his. After a bit of cleaning I'm sure it is dated 1566.

I have given it a bit of go with the tin foil but it didn't make much difference. It's my first hammered coin and my best find to date.

reiver

• Dig Attendee
  • Etrac user
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »
Nice one.1566 looks right.A great coin for your first hammered.Well done.Hope it's your first of many.

shug

• Dig Attendee
    • Up yer kilt Magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
nice hammered mate
Jack The Ripper would be a great name for a fitness trainer.

Neil

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
Well done guys on the second Detecting Scotland - looks like a few decent finds came up. Great report - I enjoyed reading it Reiver.

More always appear on the site after a day or two.

Congratulations to Green on his first hammered - they'll start raining in now mate!

A consortium will be heading up to you from DW for a future rally! Namely me, roman Ray, TaffLaff and Chef!

Keep the faith our Celtic cousins

Neil

A link to Sundays Detecting Wales Rally in chepstow.

http://www.detectingwales.com/index.php?topic=9798.0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:40:42 PM by Neil »
There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure.

Mark Twain 1835 - 1910

Always interested in buying Guineas, Sovereigns, Half Sovereigns and Crowns. Drop me a PM for a price please.

Briso

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »
A great day out yet again even the torrential rain in the morning didn't put off the DS diehards ! I was over on the high stubble field at around 11 o'clock and realised something was going on over on Hammie Hill !!! There were 20 detectorist going over the area like bees to the honey pot  ;D. Well done to Stuart who pulled up the two hammies first - a Charles 1st Shilling and Lizzie sixpence. The charles has a wee anchor mintmark so hopefully someone can help with an ID. Green (Ben) then also dug another Lizzie sixpence. I have attached the photos I took on the day - Ben couldnt stop shaking and its a bit fuzzy  ;)- only joking Ben. I also saw quite a few early vicky sixpences & threepences Well done to everyone and heres to the next one.  ;D ;D ;D    

Briso

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:32:58 PM »
Ben's Lizzie as dug.... ;)

green

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
You want to get rid of that Iphone and get a proper camera - I wasn't shaking.    :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:58:20 PM by green »

hangova

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
great to see some nice finds coming up well done everyone

liathich

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:59 PM »
Well done folks, great finds despite the wetness.  ;D

morayhunter

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »
well done on the dig guys and a a big well done to the guys with the hammies

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 04:16:19 PM »
So it was :).He was with Solas.Grant would have been spitting feathers if it was you ;D

Get it right roond the pair of yese ;D

I'm going to bribe the Welshies to take youse back with them when they come up :D

It'll be great getting a dig with the welsh boys up, need to plan that one in good time though!!
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Tommys

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
sounds like a gid day folk well done to you all..hope can make the next one..not easy when you work shifts.. :-[ :-[
Come on the well