August 18, 2019, 10:42:05 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Buffer zone

Author Topic: Buffer zone  (Read 2273 times)

RobertF

• Dig Attendee
Buffer zone
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
Hi guy's, I got a permission for a stubble field, but I can't get my head round the World heritage site buffer zone. The field is in the buffer zone but the farmer said I was ok to detect on it. What I want to know is, is it ok to detect in the buffer zone? 
Remember!...The bad times make the good times...Great times!!

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
Re: Buffer zone
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
Sorry, can't help you with that. Not heard of that maself but i'll check it out for future reference, cheers.

Marc27519

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »
Sorry, can't help you with that. Not heard of that maself but i'll check it out for future reference, cheers.

i dont think you can detect in the buffer zone of a WHS. I think their is an exclusion limit 20 metres outside the buffer as well. Seem to remember reading it but i am sure someone here will know.

P0k3Rman

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 07:53:47 PM »
...the only WH Buffer Zone I know of is that around Hadrian's Wall and detecting is not allowed, see below:

Metal Detecting
Objective 5: To protect the World Heritage Site and Buffer Zone from damage as a result of inappropriate metal detecting.

Policy 5a: Metal detecting within the World Heritage Site and its Buffer Zone will not be permitted except in line with Historic England guidelines and as part of a recognised and properly resourced research project

http://www.visithadrianswall.co.uk/world-heritage-management/hadrians-wall-management-plan/policies-and-actions

...this is a policy that is in place in England, but I am sure it will be just the same in Scotland. You can always contact Historic Environment Scotland and ask them?

chrisb1985

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
It is ok to detect in or on a whs, I have loads of land in a whs and I checked with our local archeologists before hand,

His name is Martin brann if you want his phone number pm me,
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:17:12 PM by chrisb1985 »

Sam

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 08:08:03 PM »
Right. Personally RobertF I'd stay well clear of any restricted zones, keep yourself outta trouble. Unless you go out at night with a head torch like. Woh woh woh i'm joking...

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »
It is ok to detect in or on a whs, I have loads of land in a whs and I checked with our local archeologists before hand,
I thought that the buffer zone was to ensure that no inappropriate building was allowed in these areas. Like Chris we have permissions in buffer zones and according to the farmer we can detect. I hope this is right or i will be off to the big hoose for a stretch :-\ :-\.

Indiana ;).

chrisb1985

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:23:01 PM »
Personally I would just phone Martin he is a senior heritage management officer for our area, he is not going to tell you, you can detect somewhere your not suppose to,

Like I said if you want his number to check for yourself pm me,

P0k3Rman

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »
...Chris is making sense and if you can call someone to find out for sure, it keeps you and the farmer in the right - best of luck mate!!

chrisb1985

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »
I thought that the buffer zone was to ensure that no inappropriate building was allowed in these areas.

Indiana ;).

That's basically what Martin told me so your fine mate, but if you want to double check just phone your local archeologists,  ;)

Sam

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »
Yup, someone like that could give you the yae or nae.

Doodles the Flatback

• Dig Attendee
  • Well only started this hobbie nov 2012 (newbie)
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
I have a who's on one of my sites I emailed them a while back and I was same as Chris and was told I was aloud to detect there. I had been advised that if I found anything that might be of interest to basically record it which I am pleased to do.
CTX 3030 user

RobertF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 09:23:58 PM »
Thanks guy's, I felt like a bit of a twit to ask. I was on the field today and some dog walker's asked about the area being in the buffer zone and I didn't feel very well armed although I felt sure I was ok, just that niggling feeling that I just wanted to know for sure. Cheers  ;D I'll get that number Chris, Cheers  :D
Remember!...The bad times make the good times...Great times!!