May 21, 2019, 06:04:45 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » Garrett » ATpro vs AT gold

Author Topic: ATpro vs AT gold  (Read 1479 times)

kim

ATpro vs AT gold
« on: November 07, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
Hi all, just wondering which is the better machine, AT pro international or AT gold ? I've been told to pick one for christmas but am struggling to make my choice between the two, I have the ace 250 at present but as my ground is pasture I am just looking to get a bit more depth from a machine now. Any opinions would be much appreciated. Cheers :-\
Ace 250
SEF 15x12 coil
AT pro international
Garret AT pro pointer
No decent finds-(ever hopeful)

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
Re: ATpro vs AT gold
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 11:54:55 AM »
Hi Kim, I use the at gold and my brother uses the at pro, I would suggest getting the at pro as it is a much quieter machine to use and can also be used to sucess on the beach. The at pro runs at a slightly lower frequency than the at gold so will get a little more depth on larger targets. The at gold on the other hand runs at a higher frequency than the pro so you will pluck out the tiny objects a little better but is no good on the beach. Both machines are great and are amongst the best producers in the club  ;)
You have to be over it to find it

Tommy

• Dig Attendee
  • if in doubt dig it out
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:55:19 AM »
Can't really say much about the gold but the pro is certainly a good machine there's loads of members use them.
XP Deus
Garrett carrot pointer

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »
Ohh, have a look on metal-detectors.org as I don't think they will be beaten on price, I have ordered 4 machines from them in the past and never had any bother  :)
You have to be over it to find it

Danny465

• Dig Attendee
  • AT Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
Hi Kim here's a chart of the differences, I went from the 250 to the AT Pro & wouldn't look back I think the AT Gold was made for gold prospectors finding small gold nuggets still a good machine but for coins & relics I would say AT Pro
If in doubt dig it out
2015  10.5 x  Hammys
          30 x Milled Silvers

2016 5 x  Hammys  1 x  Gold hammy
          16 x Milled Silver

kim

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 12:42:54 PM »
Thanks guys,I was kind of leaning toward the AT pro anyway, after reading about your experiences with the machine I now know the this would be the right one for me. It's going to be a very merry christmas for me this year !!
Ace 250
SEF 15x12 coil
AT pro international
Garret AT pro pointer
No decent finds-(ever hopeful)

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
Good choice   --- I was going to recommend that too, having used one for a year and a half before being seduced by the French XP Deus...  In all honesty, much as I like the Deus and good as it is, I still miss the AT Pro (especially like the wee coil!) and although the Deus is enormously flexible and upgradeable via software, and I like the wirelessness and lightness, I don't know that I've found much more with it than I did with the Garrett.

Comments re depth, frequency etc are correct, and with the Pro you also get the 'Euroace' for free (!) as the 'standard' settings are the same as the Euroace. 

The extra notches and discrim settings on the Gold make little difference in practice, as you will gradually learn to use your ears more than your eyes and won't need them.

Greta wee machine  .. Enjoy, and good luck!

Bob.