July 22, 2019, 11:48:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » Winter 2015 Newsletter

Author Topic: Winter 2015 Newsletter  (Read 1752 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Winter 2015 Newsletter
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:17:42 PM »
Winter Newsletter!
Well boys and girls it’s newsletter time again!
Periodic Newsletter (Winter 2015)

Hi Ladies, Gents and Spectra

The immediate future:
This Sunday 25th October DS129 see’s us visit St Andrews strathkinnes which is an area that has seen some spectacular finds for our members in recent years and this landowner we have been to before however as you’ve come to expect from DS we will be on NEW FIELDS.  I think Bob has good reason to remember this area ;-)
http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?topic=11748.0

Next Sunday 01st November will be in The Glasgow area on fields we have not done before with excellent views ;-)
http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?topic=11849.0

Sunday 08th November will either be ANOTHER NEW SITE near Edinburgh or Fife with final decision taken soon!
SO unless you want to keep flogging the same old fields, DS is the place to be! 

THE BIGGEST EVER SCOTTISH DETECTING DIG AND PARTY WILL TOOK PLACE  on 25th-27th September at Kingsbarns with 130-140 detectorists per day:
Some Great Hangovers were created! And a pair of brothers lost the power in their legs, no names no pack drills ;-)
A Hall, a great live band, cheap beer, great company and thank you all for making it the event it was! And for welcoming my Girlfriend to her first dig including the nice flowers from Robin (old smoothie)
UncleBob kicked the actual digging off with the first Hammy in something like 10 mins lol!! So many were found even I got one which is now with TT. There were too many highlights to name but special mention must go to John Macdonald’s excellent venison burgers, GarethJs ventriloquist act on the Friday night by the fire and the EXCELLENT Carloways who entertained us all so well on the Saturday Night!
Using all the land we have been offered is a task just now so we are likely to be spoilt for choice in the coming months, so let’s hope the weather holds out!! The New Midweek club will be starting in November by popular request so this will help use up some of the smaller fields and will go ahead subject to enough interest.

Occasionally we are asked how we manage things at detectingscotland.com and we do like to be honest and upfront with the way we operate hence this newsletter.

Since the site was built in 2009 we have tried to keep things as cheap as possible for our members, so from DS1 (Bannockburn) (when there were no other digs being held in Scotland) the cost of a day out has remained at the princely sum of £7 despite obvious price rises by other organisers throughout the whole UK.

Outgoings:

We always pay our farmers/landowners the minimum payment of £100-£150 per day even if that means making a net loss after expenses.
We award an Organisers bonus of minimum £30 to any person who puts up land and does the running around making arrangements with the landowner and checking the land.
Hosting fees & Band-with costs which are 5x what they were 3 years ago!
Server upgrades when necessary. (notice how quickly DS pages change compared to other forums) Sorry for the pots that disappeared on the last upgrade (late evening)

Miscellaneous consumables such as flags, booze hic! , fuel, awards, running around constantly arranging land.
Now following an incident at a recent DS supported event I’ve purchased two UHF/VHF radios for emergencies and we have been upgrading our Medical emergency equipment including collapsible stretcher, pyrotechnics for signalling an air ambulance etc we have thought of everything! and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) No other dig organiser in the UK goes to these lengths to look after you’re safety.
The AED is well on it’s way to being purchased with the Bonus ball kicking us off last week and Tommy (Teejay) is taking this onward! I’ve already bought a ‘training AED’ and the staff will all be getting trained in the use of the AED.

Since I’m yet to get that elusive lottery win due to not buying tickets:

How do we do this?

1.   Any money left over from dig fees after costs as above we reinvest in our future events and expenses which includes running round land a lot, buy equipment as mentioned above.
2.   Any time you click on a targeted advertisement on the forum we get a couple of pence which we allow to accumulate till it’s worth collecting from Google.
3.   We have tried merchandising branded items as you have seen, however we are never comfortable charging enough to profit from those so you tend to get those at cost or in the case of the Yellow DS tee shirts just under cost.!! We do now have Hoodies available If enough want to order them and the quality is excellent!
http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?topic=11847.msg125815#msg125815

4.   The hot drinks urn has been back for a couple of weeks! All profits pre rally were set aside so all drinks at the rally were free and the same will happen with XMAS dig this year.

Our pledge to you:

1.   We will not raise dig prices again this coming year so these will remain at £7 till 2017 unless there’s a specific need such as the church hall & facilities hire we occasionally have for the day or if the general consensus want to adopt an extra £ per head policy with a decent price for best find after each dig voted on by the members. (sorry I can’t remember which people suggested this to give credit lol)
2.   We will arrange at least two weekender overnighters per year which will again only cost £7 per day. Large events including toilet hire, bands etc are excluded and will be charged differently.
3.   You will always have full access to all areas of the forum whether you attend digs or not at NO additional cost, your contribution to the discussions is good enough for us.
4.   You will never be asked to contribute money for technical or hardware costs as these are met as described above.
5.   You will never be asked to pay in advance or sign up to any scheme designed to tie you in to attending our events leaving you free to chop and change your plans as locations and dates suit you.
6.   Any equipment loaned or technical assistance given will always be free. (when AED is paid for we will be upgrading loan kit to Garret AT Pro’s)
7.   We will never create or allow any sort of class division of membership within the club, all dig members are of equal standing regards to costs and attendances.
8.   We will only ever limit dig no’s if field size or parking limitations force this.
9.   We will only ever cancel a dig due to unforeseen circumstances which could include the following: (Dangerous conditions, Very adverse weather, sudden non availability of the planned land without suitable alternative) NEVER due to lack of numbers signed up we’ve taken the hit before and we will take it again. (Excluding Midweek Wanderers which will have a minimum no)
10.   We will continue to source new and varied land maintaining our position as Britain’s premier detecting club.

So how can you help?

That’s the easy bit!

1.   Contribute to the forum discussions with photos of your finds, detecting stories, intelligent conversation, mirth and witty banter ;-)
http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?action=forum

2.   Attend our organised days if they suit your plans we don’t take your attendance for granted.
http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?board=6.0

3.   Click on the odd advertisement on the site (it costs nothing to look)

http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?action=forum

4.   Develop a hot drinks addiction in winter;-)

http://www.detectingscotland.com/index.php?topic=8632.0

All in all we have had a great year so far with detectingscotland.com with loads hammered coins recovered including a beautiful big Gold hammered of Richard III, countless milled silver, several milled gold, several gold rings at least four heraldic pendants a cheeky few bronze axes the list is endless! Where else can you get that value? There are quite a number of other artefacts going through the treasure process as we speak and I’m sure the lucky finders will bring you up to speed in due course Including or course the SUPERB seal Matrix Abbey got up by St Andrews this year!
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

GizSam786

Re: Winter 2015 Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »
Gutted..... I can't make the Oct dig and 1 Nov due to being in England and I also can't make the 8th becuase I'll be on parade for Remembrance Sunday.  I'll have to be nice to the wife is there is one on 15th Nov because it's her b/day - maybe a day out to the fields with a promised picnic and a coffee from the 'urn' will be a good b/day pressie?

Mike

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »
Gutted..... I can't make the Oct dig and 1 Nov due to being in England and I also can't make the 8th becuase I'll be on parade for Remembrance Sunday.  I'll have to be nice to the wife is there is one on 15th Nov because it's her b/day - maybe a day out to the fields with a promised picnic and a coffee from the 'urn' will be a good b/day pressie?

Mike

Tell her she can have a coffee or tea on me  ;D
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

chris3030

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
I'm only clicking on the hot Russian chic advertising because it helps the site.. :-* :) :blank: