August 20, 2019, 04:27:20 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Looking for a ring in an iron stack!!! Help!

Author Topic: Looking for a ring in an iron stack!!! Help!  (Read 2257 times)

Gracie cobbler

Looking for a ring in an iron stack!!! Help!
« on: November 25, 2015, 06:16:03 PM »
Hi guys, so I got the Euro Ace, I've been on the beach, pleasantly surprised! Even if it was just ancient bits of boats that probably have not seen daylight in 100 years, about 2' down on the stoney bed. Just lumps of iron girders, big cup washers and a large chain and shackle. The boats used to beach there for repairs over 100 years ago.

So we have a gold ring that was lost at the top of our garden, unfortunately our garden is full and I mean full of rusty metal!
I dug hole after hole. I tried relic setting, jewlery setting, I wound off the sensitivity etc and just keep pulling out metal scraps.
I bought a pinpointer from a site I seen that posted on here, deteknix, have to say its pretty good and depth is great, nice easy to use set up with reverse parking type sensor alarm so you can gauge depth.
Anyway needless to say I've not found the ring. I did find a Dr Schollers glass bottle, its tiny and the top of the neck is broken sadly.

Other than that I found a fossil in a limestone lump and also need advice on opening it up as I've got as near to it as possible without breaking bits of the fossil off

So that's pretty much it, a newby with newby problems lol

Atb
Cobbler

Shug100

Re: Looking for a ring in an iron stack!!! Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 06:20:34 PM »
Get a shot of a ctx you'll find it in no time

Thorfinn

• Dig Attendee
  • Keep on diggin' on - T2 se with SEF Coil
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 07:52:42 PM »
Hi cobbler. Best thing to do is do a wee experiment- set up a area of trash and put another gold ring near it. Then look for the signals and try to get your ear tuned to the signals.

Also if you post a pic of the fossil I'll try to help.

Cheers, Chris
Ross County FC 2 Hibs 1
My name is Chris.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorfinn_the_Mighty

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »
Sometimes a site is so full of junk that you just have to bite the bullet and dig out all the crap before you can detect the good stuff.
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 12:13:53 AM »
Are you planning on going to any digs?
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
It's possible that a sniper coil (DD or concentric) might help, as these are precise and can pick out tiny non-ferrous targets amongst iron trash. Trouble is, being small they don't reach as deep, so if the ring's been buried a long time it might be out of range. It's a £90 - £120 gamble if you can't borrow one. On the other hand, it's a useful coil for tight and trashy places (and rape stubble). The Aces also have a fairly slow recovery time so you have to proceed slowly and quite possibly have to cover the ground from 2 directions. It might just be easier to borrow a more precise machine. Or do a lot if digging. Hope this helps! :). PS: I own a EuroAce (backup machine).

Gracie cobbler

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 01:04:18 AM »

Thorfinn the fossil is those lines, I have reduced the stone (maybe too much) however I've stopped as I don't know how to progress it from there. I do have a dremil and lots and lots of diamond bits all shapes and sizes.

Molly, I'm not planning to attend digs at the moment, still recovering from a bad injury and too close to Christmas with the kids and all but no doubt after the new year I will pop along.

I have flung my chain and ring down hear the sound amongst the other metals, will just have to persevere! LoL

whigsvolt

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
The Problem is Cobbler that Big iron can give a great diggable tone sometimes, so makes this ring finding challenge very awkward indeed and as you may or may not know Big lumps of iron will give a perfectly good audio tone.

I would personally get a very small coil like the 5 inch coil i use occasionally on my Fisher f75 and start in the all metal mode on your detector then increase the discrimination in 3 stages and increasing each time , after you have covered the whole area with each set of discrimination settings. Also and if possible mark all the ferrous targets somehow so that you know what it was you uncovered.

Dont also be fooled in to thinking you will loose too much depth with the smaller coils as this is not always the case especially in all metal mode but by increasing the discrimination in stages then there will some form of degrading or a slight loss of depth.
Hope you get is Cobbler and dont give up.
 8)

wulliebad

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 10:35:41 AM »
Don't know how big the garden is or how many signals we are talking about but if it was me i would break the garden up into sections and just dig and clear everything.

Filternozzle

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »
While the iron mass is there, there is a good chance it will mask the signal of a ring, especially if the ring has ended up under iron or very close to two or more bits.   As has been suggested, mark the area out and work methodically removing all large iron.  If the ring is there you will eventually find it, be patient and don't expect it to happen in five minutes.

Thorfinn

• Dig Attendee
  • Keep on diggin' on - T2 se with SEF Coil
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 06:13:09 PM »
I'm afraid I'm not too sure about the fossils. It looks like limestone so they may not be fossils  but veins of the mineral calcite.  If they are fossils the extraction will likely not be worth the end product.  :(
Ross County FC 2 Hibs 1
My name is Chris.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorfinn_the_Mighty

Gracie cobbler

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 02:20:29 AM »
Aye, I've dug a lot of holes and a lot of nails, screws, brass pullys, tacks, bits of old toys, wire, cast iron guttering and so on lol.
metal I've no idea what type. It's been molten, reminds me of zinc weights but its flat molten metal with a black/greeny tinge, scratched it with the spade a little when digging and its silver colour underneath.
Any ideas how I go about  testing what type of metal it is?

This was day three looking. Some of the holes have 6 or 7 bits, maybe more. I use the pinpointer an awful lot

Gracie cobbler

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 02:23:02 AM »
I'm afraid I'm not too sure about the fossils. It looks like limestone so they may not be fossils  but veins of the mineral calcite.  If they are fossils the extraction will likely not be worth the end product.  :(

Cheers Thorfinn, I will crack away at it with the dremel nice and slow. Like you say its probably nothing but I'm curious and like tinkering, the weather is rubbish just now so I can do that and make a mess with the kids  ;D

Gracie cobbler

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 11:34:58 PM »
OK guys, I started with the dremel removing in flat lairs as much as possible and followed the line, its definitely looking like a fossil, its complexed and what material I've removed has revealed what is looking very much like a bird foot. I've not got the skill to do this job, I may well hand it in to the local museum as from what I'm seeing I'm scared I ruin it