August 25, 2019, 12:49:54 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » We only dig dump sites? apparently....

Author Topic: We only dig dump sites? apparently....  (Read 8091 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
We only dig dump sites? apparently....
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:05:42 PM »
Hey all

I've had a few messages from well intentioned individuals directing me towards remarks directed at the land we search over the last 48 hours .

I see the author of these remarks as yesterday's news and a self serving non entity, however I suppose its a disservice to just ignore the feelings of those who feel compelled to bring these things to my attention.
so:
I won't allow myself to drawn into a slagging match about it but in Detectingscotlands defence, I think our success over the last few years speaks for itself.

The aforementioned individual has stated that field at "Renfrew, Paisley, Glasgow & Ratho" are just dump fields and only result in night soil, alien finds and such sits are beneath them....That our fields are ok for beginners but not for good detectorists etc etc

This is a clear dig at DS with yesterdays midweek dig being in Ratho (fields beside where the aforementioned author has held a dig....the irony) and this Sunday's being in Renfrew.

Well my instant reaction is to ask you the members, do you think the finds that came up yesterday justified the choice of 'Ratho' several hammered, a gold half sovvy, lots of milled silver etc between only 28 detectorists? Dumpsite?

the best single coin finds this year you could argue were Dereks Hammered Gold Half rider and Tommy's unique hammered early William I penny, BOTH were found in??? Ratho

As for Renfrew, in the last 12 months we have had several hammered William the lions from Renfrew as well as Stephens gold hammered, Gregor's bronze age socketed axe, Bartosz Quarter dollar, Stans first hammy lol sorry GORDON RUSSELL and multiple other great finds, sorry if I didn't mention your particular claim to fame in these areas.

I take the excellent attendance rates at our digs and rallies as confirmation that we are doing things in the way that you detectorists want us to do, am I wrong?

You'll never be threatened with rising prices by DS to short term bully you into attending digs, in fact I'm saying now despite feedback saying 'a small rise would be ok' that prices for ALL of 2016 sunday digs will remain at only £7 and when overnight (non rally) camping will remain free even though we at DS pay the landowner extra for this. (this would be in the end of year newsletter anyway) but you have it early as DS pledge to you.

The £7 you pay allows us the pay the landowner, and also organisers fees, travel expenses for staff etc etc so any rise on those prices would be simple greed, which is something you won't see while I run YOUR DS.
 I believe DS will be there long after I've gone so I see myself as 'looking after it' for now and my long term goal is to hand it over some day to someone who will continue with it in the spirit it has been looked after.

Its fairly well known that it's myself who choses the fields in the Glasgow/Renfrew/Edinburgh areas so I take responsibility if there is any unhappiness in respect of that, and my little recce 10 hole visits I mention from time to time are to guard against us visiting a green waste or extremely trashy site.

So if anyone wants to make any points about the sites we choose, then we are all ears.

On another note, Alastair Hacket and Myself represented all you guys today at the reference group meeting in Edinburgh this morning and are both very positive about the outcome of that meting and the conduct of the study as it commences.
As we suspected there's no real cause for concern at the study and like the ones before it will help us to educate the new detectorist and foster good links between ourselves and the heritage sector.

I mention this now while the meeting is fresh in my mind because All of you will be invited to give your opinions on all of the aspects covered by the study in the near future through Guard archaeology who have been contracted to conduct the study so please keep your powder dry for now rather than comment on this matter here. (Guard archaeology are the company we already enjoy a good relationship with as we provide the detectorists who assist them in their planning application surveys)

Anyway that's quite enough from me, I'll look forward to seeing you at our latest 'dump site' on sunday lol  ;D

Over to you

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:22:04 PM by Grant »
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Re: We only dig dump sites? apparently....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »
I will do a dump site long before I ever go back to turnip's dig. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:32:54 PM by budge1 »
45%, Cheated not defeated.

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
Love a good dump             Site.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 07:32:02 PM »
I will do a dump site long before I ever go back to turnips dig.

LOL I think I must be a beginner as I prefer dumped on with a chance of ancient rather than QUIET QUIET fields with a chance of ancient.

Maybe I just love using my spade lol
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

chris3030

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:34:55 PM »
Long post man hang on I'll put the kettle on  :) iv never been to a dig but from what iv seen on here in a few days its crystal clear ye are certainly not diging trash and the members are extremely nolagable about what's what.
Unless the reason ye get such a big trun out each week is the urn and the free refills  :)

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »
To be honest i dont think you need to keep explaining yourself mate as we all know what this guy is like, and if you dont you wont have to wait long to find out. Let the children argue whilst the adults go to work and bring home the goodies. This is by far the best site in scotland, doing a great job for us detectorists, which should be at the top of all clubs lists but clearly isnt. Well done guys keep up the good work  ;)
You have to be over it to find it

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »
I think Lee has it, well said Lee.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »
Maybe I took the mention of only the dig sites I've picked too personal lol

rsi

• digdigdigdig
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
^ stig o the dump
Getting along with most is probibly a weakness but I'm only here to dig the dirt !

Shug100

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 07:47:48 PM »
Take no notice grant I enjoy the sites we go to and as you said the results speak for them selfs gold seals gold hammered Roman hoards countless hammys even though I've only had 1 lol gold rings sovereigns  and on and on so f#ck the haters

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »
That's another story Brian  ::) ::) :o
Alba Gu Bra'th

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 07:58:32 PM »
That's another story Brian  ::) ::) :o

One best not disgust(ing)  ;D

FergalThang

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »
Arf!! Thanks GRANT MAXWELL.  ;D

Stan67

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 08:01:43 PM »
My farms must be medieval dump sites then. Imagine dumping all those hammys in Fife  :o
Teknetiks T2 se :D
Sef 12x10 coil silver sniffer :)
Garrett Pinpoint Probe :)
Garrett Pinpoint ll Probe :D
Makro Pointer  :/

2014  Hammy x 4  Gold Ring x 1
2015   Hammy x 11 (wooooo)
2016  Hammy x 9

Quest-- to get more hammies than Fergal  :D this year again best of 3 wins ;) 1-0 Fergal :)

Shug100

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 08:04:01 PM »
My farms must be medieval dump sites then. Imagine dumping all those hammys in Fife  :o
. Away u go u lucky git u and your hammy streak lol