May 27, 2019, 02:35:03 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » We only dig dump sites? apparently....

Author Topic: We only dig dump sites? apparently....  (Read 7407 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Re: We only dig dump sites? apparently....
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 08:06:03 PM »
My farms must be medieval dump sites then. Imagine dumping all those hammys in Fife  :o

Fife wasn't slagged mate just the areas I sort out  :P

Probably why I took it a wee bit personal  :-[
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
Some of my most enjoyable day's have been on digs around the Glasgow area. Busy fields and plenty of finds. Can't wait till DS133. The DS Team are doing a great job, keep it up.

Indiana ;).

David

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »
all fits together now... ::) ::) some people just talk rubbish. bit of a biased point of view  ;D ;D but DS is the top detecting club in Scotland, despite what  other people ??? say!!!!!
GCC
Hammy x 4
Roman brooch
Roman bronze
Roman silver hoard

To dig or not to dig.

What a silly question. :) :) :)

beepbeep

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27:24 PM »
even the trooth teller coudnt have put it better!!

Daz1210

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »
My very first hammered coin came from a dig in Glasgow... And I have encountered many a great find coming from ds digs so to say they are dump fields is a joke (sounds like a bit of jealousy to me) for those of us who love detecting but find it hard to find the time to go out searching for permissions etc this is perfect. And the mods in here do a great job of finding land and organising digs every week which takes up a lot of time and effort. And I can honestly say I have never met a more welcoming bunch of people than those I have met through going on these digs and everyone is always willing to help out with any questions you have. So I wouldn't bother what some jealous people have to say about ds as the numbers at digs every week speak for themselves. Keep up the good work guys.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
The warm fuzzy feeling is coming back lol.

Feel a little silly for even mentioning it now buy hey ho!
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
Much as I'd like to sit this one out - I can't!  It's not my nature to let others fight the fight and for me just to watch on, so here's my happeny worth  :-

I like both Digs.  I attend both Digs, and have found good stuff (and lots of rubbish!) at each. I like the people I meet at both Digs, and have found them all to be generally helpful, friendly, and good humoured.

Both Forums (Owners, Staff, and attendees) have been personally very good to me, and I have no 'personal' axe to grind or reason to dislike either.

BUT .....  I acknowledge the strength of feeling based on the past experiences of many individuals, which I have no reason to doubt or dispute, and I well recognise the justification for the obvious bad feeling which exists and manifests itself on each Forum.

I acknowledge the sheer number and the authenticity of the many 'stories' and experiences of other people and it would be wrong of me to pretend that I don't know about them, am happy about them, or condone them.

Have you noticed how successfully I have stayed on the fence so far?  

As a Digs attendee I genuinely value the opportunity to attend, get my head down, and detect.  I don't overly care whether a field is categorised as a Viccy Dump or not as long as I can get to it, enjoy the company, and attempt to find something of interest.

I also genuinely appreciate the time, expense, and effort that the organisers put in to making it all happen, and for their support via the forum and elsewhere.  It makes me feel valued and part of the team, and THAT is something much more valuable than you might realise.

I do not enjoy the aggro but neither could I expect the 'outrageous arrows' to go undeflected and my sympathy goes out to those involved.

I'm still on the fence do you see?  What will the outcome be??

It's this.

Tempted as I am to take sides, I won't - until and unless I am personally affected. 

I'm not afraid to take sides...  I just prefer to leave things to settle down and wait for the normal good humour and general bonhomie to resume so we can all - attendees, staff, and organisers - enjoy the detecting for it's own sake... whenever, wherever, and with whomever.

I absolutely do not blame anyone for defending their corner, and if it was me I would do EXACTLY the same ... but it ISN'T me, so I'll keep out of it meantime.

I just wanna DIG!

I make these remarks because I suspect some others might agree with me and it might give a voice to folk other than those who DO have reason to feel aggrieved and get involved.

Having said all that ! --  I know fine well that any organisation is only as good as the support it enjoys and gets from it's members, and I would not want anything in this post to be construed as a criticism, or as a rejection of the very much appreciated welcome I have received from DS staff and members.

If you will excuse the naval terms  - I have nailed my colours to the mast.  Don't make me walk the plank!

Final word....  I may be perched on the fence, but I appreciate honesty, professionalism and integrity, and those are the things which would make me jump one way or the other.

Bob.

Doodles the Flatback

• Dig Attendee
  • Well only started this hobbie nov 2012 (newbie)
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 08:49:35 PM »
Look all I can say is I don't dig any dump site I dig a DS dump site
CTX 3030 user

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 08:51:18 PM »
Haha great post Bob and your right of course!

Maybe I'm hormonal today and just took the commens about the sites I've chosen to heart when I should ignore it like I generally do. It's not here say they are still there for all to see.

Anyway onwards and upwards lol

And thanks doodles I'll pick a special kind of dump site and call it doodles dig ;-)

Davie Deus

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 09:00:39 PM »
Not been here for long but thoroughly enjoyed all the digs I have attended met loads of interesting people and found some stuff :) Please keep up the good work I appreciate all the effort the staff put in prior to these digs. Now if you could just do something with the weather this would be a world beater of a club  :P

Marcos1

• Dig Attendee
  • Team At Pro
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 09:13:07 PM »
My farms must be medieval dump sites then. Imagine dumping all those hammys in Fife  :o

Liked that one mate  ;D ;D
Marcos1 I'e  Mark Urquhart

Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
CP3 TT Headphones

2014 Hammys x 1
2015 Hammys x 7 ,Silver Ring x 1
2016 Hammys x 3
2017 Hammys 5
2018 Hammys 18

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
Well said Bob  :) I feel the same way you do  :) all I want to do is dig and have a wee blether wotever dig I choose to attend I just wish all the negative stuff would stop as its not nice to keep hearing it all the time
Alba Gu Bra'th

P0k3Rman

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 09:32:47 PM »
...well said Bob, it is all about the digging, finding some history and camaraderie - a detectorist, man or woman, is nothing without their word, which is all about honesty, integrity, support and friendship especially at the toughest of times when greed or jealousy come calling - extremely few succumb to these bed fellows and for this I am thankful, and as such happy to be digging with like minded people regardless which dig it is on or not!

...onward and upwards, don't look back only forward!!

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
You must be raging at all the silver, gold , hammys , brooches etc that have been dumped all over your chosen fields Grant  ;D ;D  ;D  Its as well you have great members to dig it all out. Bloody nuisance....  ;D ;D ;D  hold your head up guys, 99 problems, but your club aint one.....  Elly x

Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

John

• Dig Attendee
  • Scribbler
    • John's Blog
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »
I'd always look favourably on publishing an article about your digs if anyone would like to supply one for my perusal ...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:45:25 PM by Grant »