July 23, 2019, 02:45:03 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Waterproofs

Author Topic: Waterproofs  (Read 5739 times)

Davie Deus

• Dig Attendee
Re: Waterproofs
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »
Thanks guys loads of info for me to ponder over, Will see what Santa brings you never know :)

Amadeus

• Dig Attendee
  • Am Rockin
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 11:00:37 AM »
To my mind the best waterproofs are  the rubber jacket and troos, cheap and will keep you dry. Goretex is a waste of money unless you are into sports where you perspire a lot as you need to work to drive any moisture through the membrane, it is also prone to de lamination of the membrane and becomes useless.
Rain will wick its way down you collar, up your cuffs etc. so wear a wide brimmed hat or hood to protect your neck.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
AT Pro
Sea Hunter Mk 11
https://youtu.be/XlAUj91QNmo

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 11:40:16 AM »
I have a Goretex  jacket and overtrousers by McBean which I bought years ago at their  factory shop. They  manufactured for the armed forces and police and once a year they used to have a sale to clear out all the overproduction lines at knock down prices. As a fisherman, I've been out in all weathers and they have kept me bone dry. I reproof them every once in a while using Fabsil which you can get at any camping shop and it works fine.  I also use the same spray to waterproof my bunnets and it works a treat.
Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Nokta RS Pinpointer

feelau

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 12:56:04 PM »
Good waterproofs are something i am totally in need of so checking out your recommendations above, had actually though about asking the question myself  ;D
Plenty enthusiasm, plenty rubbish and lots of bits and pieces
Gold Roman Coin

Amadeus

• Dig Attendee
  • Am Rockin
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »
No doubt about it, Goretex is a great material and will keep you dry and is comfortable to wear but it is expensive and really comes into its own if your body is working hard. For me it is a waste of money for just walking down the street or even detecting. If you have the dosh then why not but you never need to reproof a rubber mac.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
AT Pro
Sea Hunter Mk 11

Amadeus

• Dig Attendee
  • Am Rockin
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 01:03:44 PM »
Just bought a pair of  Goretex lined walking shoes, really comfy and dry but will they outlast my Le Chamois wellies  I have used for years, No chance.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
AT Pro
Sea Hunter Mk 11

whigsvolt

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »
I have a Goretex  jacket and overtrousers by McBean which I bought years ago at their  factory shop. They  manufactured for the armed forces and police and once a year they used to have a sale to clear out all the overproduction lines at knock down prices. As a fisherman, I've been out in all weathers and they have kept me bone dry. I reproof them every once in a while using Fabsil which you can get at any camping shop and it works fine.  I also use the same spray to waterproof my bunnets and it works a treat.

I totally agree withe the above and Gore-tex in my opinion is the way to go.

The Army Issue Gore-tex is obviously the same as the Gore-tex on the Branded Hill walking jackets and trousers like Beghaus,Rab,Mountain equipment etc, but at a Fraction of the price and is harder wearing all be it a little heavier.

Delamination on Gore-tex products will happen in time if they are NOT washed properly ie washed in the washing machine in a very high temprature and with normal soap powder which destroys the taped seems.

If my Army Gore-tex trousers gets dirty which is mainly around the lower leg ankle areas i usually give it a quick scrubb with a nylon brush then clean out the washing machine soap dispenser and load it up with a measure of Gore-tex Nikwax Tech wash and wash the Trousers on a cold wash.

I then add a measure of the proofing agent Nikwax Tx Direct which is liquid Teflon that re proofs the Gore-tex or any breathable material like sempatex etc.

I then stick them in the tumble dryer on a warm Cycle and this brings the Gore-tex back to new condition.Thankfully i only do this once a season.

There are lots of very good quality Jackets and materials out their and if you are happy with what you use and it does the job then fine you should stick with this but i have found that wearing a two or 3 layer Gore-tex Jacket on top of two other thin layers of Fleece you can through out the day if you get too warm remove one of those layers and still stay comfortable and you can take the Gore-tex jacket off, roll it up and stick it in your rucksack.
If you wear one relatively heavy or thick jacket you cannot always do this.
I generally detect as light as possible these days due to my aging and aching Bones.Lol
 ;D ;D

stewart

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »
Just bought this to try it out after the day's weather so I see how this pans out it got a comical factor too.
Good gear for the nighthawkers lol :angel:

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 05:14:06 PM »
I like my Vass-Tex waterproof gear.  Vass-Tex have an online video showing someone standing being blasted by a power washer. 
Howard.

Soldier John

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 10:38:37 PM »
Im an ex soldier and been fisherman all my days.  I'm new to detecting but I'm not new to keeping dry.  I've tried them all and the best stuff to keep dry in is the german army's Flectarn gortex bib and braces and jacket.  Here is a link to both items just for ref.  You can get them lots of places.  Wash them with no soap on a short 15/20 min cold wash cycle and tumble dry low heat to get them at their best. No tumble drier then just let them air dry but not near a radiator.  At £75 a set if you get 2 seasons out them (which is unlikely) then its a no brainer. Everything wears out at some point so for £32 a season you can't go wrong.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/german/goretex-flecktarn-genuine-german-851968.html

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/german/flecktarn-goretex-unlined-bib-294011.htmlGood luck

John

Soldier John
Motherwell
Garrett AT Pro
Mars Pin Pointer
Iron, Coke, Tin, Lead, Copper :)

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 01:59:30 PM »
I have just been to the GOARMY surplus shop/store in the Cumbernauld area after reading a post from a member of the forum who bought some kit there. . As far as I can see it has a massive stock of kit at very reasonable prices. It will clothe you from head to toe. Bought a pair of goretex cam waterproof trousers and a waterproof backpack for £18. Bring on the weather. They have a website but it does not do the selection of kit they sell justice it is worth a visit:  http://www.goarmy.co.uk/

Indiana ;).

chris3030

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »
I need leggings the "waterproof" ones I got last week at aldi  are a total joke I got soaked first time out with them.

Hughmackay

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »
Ive just bought 5mm neoprene chest wadders. Ill be trying them out this weekend hope thay work

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 06:19:24 PM »
Ive just bought 5mm neoprene chest wadders. Ill be trying them out this weekend hope thay work

Going fishing are we ??? ::) :D.

Indiana ;)

broondigger61

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:20 PM »

Just the job dry and warm