October 15, 2019, 05:10:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Collector's Corner » I found a wotsit, do you want it? » African carved wood

Author Topic: African carved wood  (Read 2319 times)

David

• Dig Attendee
African carved wood
« on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »
Hi guys, I was in a charity shop in Dumfries and found two wooden( ebony) African figures on in the shape of a tall, old African man holding a staff and the other is what looks to be some kind of hyena or feline with what looks like a bowl at the bottom, it also has "iastre" carved into the bottom. The third item is a very intricately carved coconut with females with Zoomorphic heads carved into it. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. And as I bought them all for £5 I would be interested to know. Thanks

David
GCC
Hammy x 4
Roman brooch
Roman bronze
Roman silver hoard

To dig or not to dig.

What a silly question. :) :) :)

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
Re: African carved wood
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:48:49 PM »
These type of carved wooden figures seem to be fairly common in charity shops David and were in the main originally produced for the tourist trade.

Thats no to say that many of them arent nice items in their own right, and no doubt there may well be some very rare and highly collectible pieces out there just waiting for a keen eyed bargain hunter.  ;)

Did you buy them to display them ?
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

David

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:54:39 PM »
These type of carved wooden figures seem to be fairly common in charity shops David and were in the main originally produced for the tourist trade.

Thats no to say that many of them arent nice items in their own right, and no doubt there may well be some very rare and highly collectible pieces out there just waiting for a keen eyed bargain hunter.  ;)

Did you buy them to display them ?

Yes I have some other genuine african things brough back from mawawi so I have made an African shelf in my room ;D ;D
GCC
Hammy x 4
Roman brooch
Roman bronze
Roman silver hoard

To dig or not to dig.

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »
You should post a couple of pics of your collection David, let us have a look.  :)
Mark Twain

David

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 02:06:16 PM »
You should post a couple of pics of your collection David, let us have a look.  :)

Yeah, I'll post some pics when I get home, I collect anything lol, stamps, coins,tins, Guinness book of records, taxidermy, typewriters and dust lol ;D ;D
GCC
Hammy x 4
Roman brooch
Roman bronze
Roman silver hoard

To dig or not to dig.

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 02:16:44 PM »
Ive been collecting a lot of dust lately myself  ;D
Mark Twain

whigsvolt

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 05:40:09 PM »
Hi guys, I was in a charity shop in Dumfries and found two wooden( ebony) African figures on in the shape of a tall, old African man holding a staff and the other is what looks to be some kind of hyena or feline with what looks like a bowl at the bottom, it also has "iastre" carved into the bottom. The third item is a very intricately carved coconut with females with Zoomorphic heads carved into it. Any idea would be greatly appreciated. And as I bought them all for £5 I would be interested to know. Thanks

David

Hi David.
Just a Guess.
The Carving of the letters "Iastre" may have originally read Piastre which may have worn off the carving but was a unit of currency used in various countries and may have an Indonesian connection.
Here is a link and see what you think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piastre

Thanks
Keith

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 11:41:06 AM »
Nice thing to collect David!

When alongside in Africa we would get the "looky looky men" come to us in little boats and want to sell or swap their wooden carved items with members of the ships company lol

Tins of food, spare boots and overalls were often traded for some very impressive items which were obviously original and hand carved only trouble is many of them would split when taken to a different climate lol like the UK!
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Northonian

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • 11" XP Deus Garrett Pointer Bazads spade
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »
David
Be very careful with these figures as they could be fertility charms.
Wrap them in tinfoil and put them in the shed.
You have been warned.
TT claims
Georgian forging tool
Charles 1st forgery
14th C Ring
LBA Axe Head
15th C Matrix Seal
WW1 Propaganda medal
Eddie 1st Penny
Lizzie 1st Sixpence

James VI Shilling
Eddie 1st Penny
Henry VII Groat
Charles II 40 pence
Robert III Groat
Vicky gold half sov
Love Token
Bawbee
Spindle Whorl

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »
Could I borrow them in that case? My vegetable garden could do with a boost!

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 10:29:46 PM »
Could I borrow them in that case? My vegetable garden could do with a boost!

;D

Post of the week
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)