May 27, 2019, 02:36:35 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Xp Deus or Minelab Safari

Author Topic: Xp Deus or Minelab Safari  (Read 4669 times)

Daveo

Xp Deus or Minelab Safari
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »
Hi guys. Really stuck with which machine to go with. Currently have a xterra 305 and looking to upgrade. Looking at either the safari or the Deus without a control unit, both around £750. Any advice please?

General......Waste

• Dig Attendee
Re: Xp Deus or Minelab Safari
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:47:31 PM »
Iv heard plenty of good things about both them machines Dave plenty guys  will advise you.but my advice would be to look for a good second hand one if you don't like it you will most likely sell it on for next to the price you pay.
CTX
Wader pointer
Evolution river scoop.
Gold rings.2016. 4
 Silver rings.2016. 5
 if pull tabs were worth a penny I'd be rich.

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
  • Xp Deus.Full set up.Fisher F75 ltd Dst.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 07:49:52 PM »
That's an easy one.
The Deus all the way and is in a different league from the safari.
I'd push the boat out though and get the control box, but you can allways get that at a later date.
The Safari is an Ok machine but the Deus is far better and have used the Safari too all be it on a dig down in England when my E trac packed up.
Good luck with what ever you decide.
 :)

Daveo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
Thanks chris3030, will have a look to see what's availible secondhand. It's a hard choice to make as there are pros and cons for both. Do like the idea of such a lightweight machine as the Deus though.
Limited to budget at the moment to get the control unit just now whigsvolt. Is it still a god machine without it until I can afford one?

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
Thanks chris3030, will have a look to see what's availible secondhand. It's a hard choice to make as there are pros and cons for both. Do like the idea of such a lightweight machine as the Deus though.
Limited to budget at the moment to get the control unit just now whigsvolt. Is it still a god machine without it until I can afford one?

Yes of course you can use the a Deus light no problem and as I said you can allways buy a control box when your budget permits.
Another point is that the Deus loves coke and the Safari will not go near it with its multi frequency technology.
 You can use it with ease on the beach too unlike the Deus until that is when the new coil comes out for the Deus in 2016 .
The biggest  issues for me with Minelab is the weight of their detectors and the safari is not a light machine by any standards .
The second issue is Recover speed and a hugely delayed numeric reset after going over a target and its poor performance in dry and or plough soil and Minelabs do not do well compared to The Xp range of detectors on ploughed field s generaly speaking.
like you say there are arguments for and against.  The Safari is also a Mid range detector unlike the Deus which is a top end machine.
 8)

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 08:11:57 PM »
Yes the Deus is still a good machine without the control unit and as Whigsvolt says, you can add the control unit at your leisure in the future.  I found a Scottish groat recently using mine although I have the control unit too.  Until you get a control unit you really have to rely on the quality of the audio signal, otherwise you would be taking off the headphones all the time to see what number is showing.  Many Deus experts say the control unit is not needed at all, except to update the programs when new ones come out.
Howard
xp deus

General......Waste

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:15:40 PM »
This might sound stupid  :) :)  but
My first machine was v light a lb or 2 at the most I could swing it but I would know it the following day .iv a machine now that's more than double the weight and I can swing it and no ache the ffollowing day.its all in the ballance of how the machine is set up im convinced.that's with shop coils not talking about the satellite dishes some put on after. :)
CTX
Wader pointer
Evolution river scoop.
Gold rings.2016. 4
 Silver rings.2016. 5
 if pull tabs were worth a penny I'd be rich.

Daveo

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice guys. Good to hear from people using these machines.

s60tty

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »
If you upgrading from a 305 ,stick with Minelab & you`ll get a good deal on a Etrac for that kind of cash  8)
Good luck on whatever you choose  :)
The trust of the innocent is the liars most useful tool .

stewart

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:32:02 PM »
Personally like scotty suggests there is a lot of e tracs out there within your price range because of folk upgrading to the ctx  and they are fantastic machines if set up correctly,far better than the safari.As for the deus without control box ,i would suggest you borrow one before buying one as it really all depends on your hearing.I can hear the lowest and highest signals but tones is somewhat different.I wasted my time with a goldmax power for about 6months as i couldnt tell lumps of iron or coke from good signals although others where picking up loads with it.The deus is similar without control box.So be carefull,i dont want you to go through what i went through.I now have a ctx and a deus with control box.The deus i use in stubble,ploughed or dry and with the control box,for me anyway is a pure hammy and silver machine and a joy to use.There is used deuses out there with control boxes at your price range.Hope this helps.If you catch me at a dig in the future and you are still undecided i will happily loan you my deus for the dig and you can decide. :)

Daveo

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 07:57:58 AM »
Thanks Stewart

jagsteve

• Dig Attendee
  • CTX-3030
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 11:35:38 AM »
I'm with Scotty.
I've owned the Deus and the Etrac and I would definitely favour the Etrac
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself..

crepitis

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Fisher F75 LTD DST .
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
I currently own a Deus and an E Trac, and they compliment each other well, but if I had to choose just one of them to keep it would be the E Trac.
A lot depends on what type of ground you will be detecting though, if you're mainly on stubble or ploughed land the Deus edges it, but on pasture the ETrac wins hands down.

Most of my own permissions are pasture land hence my choice of the Minelab machine if restricted to just one detector.
"When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."
Mark Twain

foundit

• Rising Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »
Never owned or tried the Deus but have been using the Safari for a couple of years now, the stock coil that comes with the machine is very good but I upgraded to the 13" Ultimate coil and it`s been on the machine ever since. The Safari is quite heavy and you do need to stop every now and then to stretch your joints. I search in all metal when possible and the machine is noisy but I think not as much is missed as you hear every grunt and bleep. Also you can say goodbye to digging coke, the Garretts I used in the past loved it.
Whatever machine you choose have fun and happy hunting  :)

Alan

whigsvolt

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 10:27:09 PM »
Never owned or tried the Deus but have been using the Safari for a couple of years now, the stock coil that comes with the machine is very good but I upgraded to the 13" Ultimate coil and it`s been on the machine ever since. The Safari is quite heavy and you do need to stop every now and then to stretch your joints. I search in all metal when possible and the machine is noisy but I think not as much is missed as you hear every grunt and bleep. Also you can say goodbye to digging coke, the Garretts I used in the past loved it.
Whatever machine you choose have fun and happy hunting  :)

You hit the nail on the proverbial head and if you are confident with the detector you are using then that's all that matters.
Around 5 years ago I was at a dig down in England using  the E trac and I had 3 hammered coins and around 15 roman bronzes and to my amazement I met an old guy who was using an old Fisher 12.66 and ha had 4 hammered and around 25 Roman coins with some Roman grots too and his machine was at least 25 years older  than my Etrac. His detector was one of the very first detectors that I owned over 25years ago at that time. I was amazed.
Their you go .
Has the technology really changed or is it because we don't keep our detectors long enough.
lol lol.
 ;D ;D
Alan
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:30:47 PM by whigsvolt »