August 22, 2019, 07:39:41 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Detector for daughter, any advice?

Author Topic: Detector for daughter, any advice?  (Read 2312 times)

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
Detector for daughter, any advice?
« on: December 26, 2015, 09:41:04 PM »
Looking to get the elf her first detector all of her own. She is getting there using mine (Euroace) and has my old first one (Maplin cheapo) but would love one all her own, and I can permanently fix it at length to suit her etc.
Im currently torn between the Ace150 and the GoFind20. (She is 7)
I know the garretts, know she'd be fine with it, but who wouldnt want the new shiny shiny Minelab?
Anyone got any advice on this at all? Got a few weeks b4 her birthday to decide, and Regtons have some sale discounts just now.
Any advice welcome
Help lol..... ;D :) :) :)  Elly
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • XP ORX
Re: Detector for daughter, any advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 09:44:23 PM »
Minelab   8) 8)

David

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »
I would speak to boza.. He has/had one he was giving away. It was for cos and when cos grew out of it it has just been in the cupboard, I'm sure he'll be able to help ;D
GCC
Hammy x 4
Roman brooch
Roman bronze
Roman silver hoard

To dig or not to dig.

What a silly question. :) :) :)

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 09:58:11 PM »
Cheers Eddy, I fear im asking a silly question here lol, think it has to be the Minelab eh? . My worry is I "accidentally" buy the 40 or 60 and want to keep it for myself  ;D ;D ;D
David, thanks mucho , but im not on the scrounge  ;D (makes a change  for me lol) going to get her a new one as she is already aware her current one is second hand, and really wants a new one just for herself.  X
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

David

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 10:07:14 PM »
Oh okay sorry.., in that case I would go for the ace 150
GCC
Hammy x 4
Roman brooch
Roman bronze
Roman silver hoard

To dig or not to dig.

What a silly question. :) :) :)

martin cdo

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 10:33:56 PM »
What about the minelab  xterra 305 ive found roman , silver, not gold yet but i will very good machines ;) ;)

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 10:40:52 PM »
Martin, mostly because im hoping to spend about £150 and not £350  :) shes my daughter, but I dont like her THAT much haha... If im buying one of them, it would be for me ,  sounds like you are doing well with yours , well jel .... :) :) :)
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Stan67

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »
Teknetics Digitek :) sent a link :)
Teknetiks T2 se :D
Sef 12x10 coil silver sniffer :)
Garrett Pinpoint Probe :)
Garrett Pinpoint ll Probe :D
Makro Pointer  :/

2014  Hammy x 4  Gold Ring x 1
2015   Hammy x 11 (wooooo)
2016  Hammy x 9

Quest-- to get more hammies than Fergal  :D this year again best of 3 wins ;) 1-0 Fergal :)

whigsvolt

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
Hi Eleanor.
The Garretts are the most successful beginner detectors of all time as you will probably know, and because you also use it i would stick with getting that one for your daughter as it makes perfect sense.

The Go find is relatively new on the market and a tad lighter than the Garrett ace 150 at 1kg with the Standard 8 inch coil but then youd have to learn the machine your self before you could show your daughter but in all likely hood would be easy to use anyway.
Good luck.

Maclaird

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
Hello Eleanor
what you want to spend ? I can only speak for Tesoro Detectors. They are nice Mashines for beginners and for Provis and are easily.
You have more fun with this Detector and the Disc is better as from Garret Detectors. Looking for cheap or used.
I hope you understand me my english oh sorry scottish is not so good :)
So I had Garrett 150,250 and 350 AT, Tesoro and XP GMP and XP Deus and my favorites are Tesoro.Tesoro Detectors not look beautiful or innovative but the performance is important.
Regard
Mac

P0k3Rman

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
...got to be the Gofind.  Fully adjustable for height, light, modern components, technology, cool user interface (not complicated) and a great price. You can get them pretty cheap online. We have a couple of the 40's and the elf can have a shot of one at a dig before you buy?

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
This post is from last December ! The elf's birthday is well past  :) So wit did she get then ??
Alba Gu Bra'th

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »
Lol, yep this is an old post, seems to have been resurrected, but I appreciate the advice guys xx
Mummy bought her a teknetics digitek from Unearthed (Stans advice) as the reviews were amazing, and got to admit its a cracker. Great performance for the price . She has struggled a bit with the numerical target id, (MUMMYYY, DO I DIG A 76?? Mummy doesnt bloody know lol  ;D ) and will come back to it in a year or so..
Meantime , Haggy/ Niall  really kindly passed on a Garrett 150 (and as ive got the Garrett EuroAce we are now all matchy-matchy lol  ;D ;D aaawww) and she is really finding stuff with it (when not eating the picnic at side of field  ;D) less frustrating for her.
Thanks for comments and help , its always appreciated. X

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 03:39:49 PM by EleanorF »
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Haggy

• Dig Attendee
  • Niall
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 01:37:07 AM »
Good to hear shes finding stuff with it, if she gets a hammy before me im taking it back ;)
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
2015 3 Silvers
2016 1 Silver watch case. 4 coins