October 23, 2019, 03:48:46 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Military Badges and buttons for ID and show » Found answer to something that had been annoying me about buttons.

Author Topic: Found answer to something that had been annoying me about buttons.  (Read 1271 times)

Haggy

• Dig Attendee
  • Niall
When out on Sunday at the DS dig at Kinross I found another "strange" button, this is one of about 4 I have found recently. They are generally plain on the front but usually have a shank on the back and several I have found have gilding and a shank on the back.
I was thinking to myself why so much wear on one side and not the back. I then had a brainwave, if these were military buttons why would a manufacturer go about the bother of making mounds or whatever for every different regiment when they could make the back pieces in bulk and the separate fronts which could be attached, using a process I liken to a milk bottle top being attached to the bottle.
I asked my father who had collect some militaria in the past and he thought no but then I remember our good friend Mr Google. And hey presto http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/buttons.shtml
type 2 of those in the link.
A bit long and convoluted but my question has been answered, it may be that I am the only person who didn't know this but am happy to have a resolution to my query.
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
2015 3 Silvers
2016 1 Silver watch case. 4 coins

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
Re: Found answer to something that had been annoying me about buttons.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:39:24 PM »
Glad you got an answer, I remember you saying about this on Sunday... I like something I need to go home and google lol... :) wee bit investigation is half the fun!
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:01:47 PM »
Good research and good link, well done and thanks for sharing.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »
Good bit of info, thanks   :D
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
Persistence pays off... Respect!!  :)