August 25, 2019, 05:01:20 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » Garrett » Wet and dry sand settings for Garrett AT Pro ?

Author Topic: Wet and dry sand settings for Garrett AT Pro ?  (Read 2358 times)

davy1234

Wet and dry sand settings for Garrett AT Pro ?
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:04:22 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a newb to metal detecting and after lengthy research I have ordered a
Garrett AT Pro.

Initially I'll be mostly doing beach detecting as I'm not too far away from
several beach areas. (may do land later to expand skills and experience)

Was wondering if I can pick any beach detectors brains who use the AT Pro,
and inquire  what settings you use for dry and wet beach ?

Any info greatly appreciated

David

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Re: Wet and dry sand settings for Garrett AT Pro ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »
Found this on you tube for you, I think the AT Pro isn't the best for beach hunting but I only used it on the beach once and forgot to ground balance it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZq8iAXnWTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpgnacYzkWU
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:17:02 PM by budge1 »
45%, Cheated not defeated.

davy1234

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Budge1,

That link is a good help - actually tells the numbers/settings

Much obliged sir

whigsvolt

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:01 PM »
Hi Davy.
I think you would be better if you learned your craft on inland areas as opposed to the beach.
The beach can present all kinds of problems especially with a detector that is extremely sensitive and the fact that the beach is full of zillions of fragments of Aluminium and other tiny bits of non ferrous crap.

The At pro is a great detector too that you have taken ownership of and going to the digs with other At pro users will benefit you no end and will pick up some good tips and trick with this very good detector.

Of course try the beach but i feel you may become frustrated very quickly which pay put you off detecting for life, but by all means give the beach a try.
Thanks
Keith
 ;D
 8)

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
No problems, hope it helps but as Keith said the beach can be hard going. Good luck. 
45%, Cheated not defeated.

davy1234

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »
Thanks whigsvolt and budge1 for your advice, and I'm sure you are speaking wisely but...

Here's my reasoning for favouring beaches initially :

1 I absolutely love being near the sea/coast
2 I have miles and miles of great beach areas on my doorstep (I live on West Coast of Scotland)
3 I can park right on the seafront or even at the top of some beaches
4 I only need a permit to access all beaches
5 I need no permissions
6 I can go there and detect anytime I chose (in accordance with tides)
7 I can be on a beach and detecting within 20 minutes 
8 30 minutes drive north or south coast will give me around 20-30 miles of beach  area
9 I can take my wife - she'd be quite happy sitting the car reading her book or taking in the seascape or in
good weather she can sit on the beach (and she could nip away to get the coffees in :) )

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely will be doing land detecting but given the above, I really can't see past
giving the beaches a try in the first instance

Cheers,
Davy

Budge1 - 45% cheated not defeated - absolutely   ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:46:18 PM by davy1234 »

Dougie Digs

• http://www.beachdetecting.co.uk/
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »
Hi Davy ,

Like you Im better located for beach detecting than travelling to digs many miles from me ..that said Im hoping to attend some turf digs

this year ( probably the Glasgow area ones being closest ) ...if allowed after this post   :)  to encompass all spheres of detecting  !!!

Its quite obvious that "beach detecting"  in general is somewhat dismissed in numerous turf forums and groups ...understandably so

....our finds pale into comparison to turf finds , but if the beach is readily and more accessible to you " then get out there" ... its

the same buzz ....finding something that makes the day worthwhile , or finding nothing but enjoying being out , swinging and hoping

" Learn your craft inland "   as posted and urged towards the turf ??  If beach detecting...speak to the surf peeps  ...Go wherever it

suits you , enjoy detecting whatever , many gold,

silvers and other nice finds to be had on the beach  !!!!  GL and HH
F/Book beach detecting group    https://www.facebook.com/groups/240516389460641/

You Tube channel    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAAdFZKRZhKTv4Rr1DV8qzw

Facebook    https://www.facebook.com/dougie.shaw.94

ctx3030

garrett euroace

minelab go-find 60

prestwick

retired n luvin it

davy1234

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 12:30:04 AM »
Absolutely Dougie,

I mean the love of the coast and beach combined with ease of getting to is a big
plus for me but having said that, I'm watching dig videos of the land finds people
are making and some of them are great.

I absolutely get it - the idea of digging up a coin from a Scottish field which was last
handled by a Roman nearly 2,000 years ago and now you are holding it in your hand
is just amazing - not that this happens very often but you get what I'm saying.
Land detecting is certainly on my radar.

So, some think beach detectorists aren't 'real' detectorists eh ? - being a newb, I wasn't
aware of this demarcation /hierarchy - I hate bullshit like that.

As you say, the searching finding buzz is still the same.

Well, when the AT Pro arrives and I've sussed it out a bit, I'll head down to the beach
and hopefully find a detectorist who will give me a few pointers - or is there a beach
detectorist hierarchy which you haven't told me about ?  lol

Maybe see you on the sandy stuff Dougie

Cheers,
Davy

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:04:23 AM by davy1234 »

harbinger

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »
I don't think there is a beach detecting hierarchy and i don't think land detectorists look down on beach detecorists.From what i can gather its just that peoples interests are different.Most of the land detectorists are either coin collectors,button collectors or collectors of militaria etc,of which there will quite simply be more of inland.For example markets and military barrracks etc are not normally built on the beach.Beach detectorists will have different interests,again with a broad range amongst themselves eg there will be maritime collectors,coin collectors,ring and tourist drop hunters and probably even fishermen looking for fishing weights.I personally have only been detecting on the beach once and plenty of people asked how i got on.There is a beach detecting section on this forum which doesn't seem to get used too much,however somewhere in that section there is a link to a beach detecting group on facebook which is quite interesting if you want to look at examples of finds.

So remember its chicken soup,tomato soup or oxtail soup but we are all having soup!

davy1234

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 02:37:57 PM »
Good points Harbinger,

Managed to get my first farm permission - man, it was nerve wracking but I got it.  I walked some of it today.
Pastureland mostly and some swampy peat boggy areas.  There are the remnants of 2 farms there, just a few
moss covered foundation stones there now but they go back about 200 years or so.
I can now have tomato and oxtail soup :)

harbinger

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 11:54:38 PM »
And chicken soup when you get home

davy1234

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:39 PM »
 ;)