March 24, 2019, 11:39:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » THE Denarius

Author Topic: THE Denarius  (Read 7662 times)

shug100

• Dig Attendee
  • Ctx3030
Re: THE Denarius
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
See most times I've had silver it's black but a few times they have came up spotless but my only hammered was pure black it still is lol

Marcos1

• Dig Attendee
  • Team At Pro
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:54 AM »
The thing is, if I found a Roman coin I would be shouting ROMAN whoo hoo and jumping for joy plus showing everyone and not keeping it secret, he only has himself to blame.
Marcos1 I'e  Mark Urquhart

Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
CP3 TT Headphones

2014 Hammys x 1
2015 Hammys x 7 ,Silver Ring x 1
2016 Hammys x 3
2017 Hammys 5
2018 Hammys 18

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2016, 12:41:15 PM »
See most times I've had silver it's black but a few times they have came up spotless but my only hammered was pure black it still is lol
Think its down to the amount of time silver is in the ground Shug and the roman silver has been buried a looooong time  :) plus all the crap they put in the soil as well
Alba Gu Bra'th

shug

• Dig Attendee
    • Up yer kilt Magazine
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
Think its down to the amount of time silver is in the ground Shug and the roman silver has been buried a looooong time  :) plus all the crap they put in the soil as well
i have been lucky in finding a few denari over the years and while some are blackened some have come out as clean as the day they were dropped i think it must depend on the purity of the silver.
Jack The Ripper would be a great name for a fitness trainer.

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »
Yes the Roman denarii that I found were in very good condition.  Some were shining clean.  They were about 1" deep and at the edge of a river so in 1900 years there had never been any chemicals or fertiliser put into the soil where I found them.  Very tempted to go back again as I have not been there for a few years.
Howard.
xp deus.

foundit

• Rising Member
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2016, 04:24:46 PM »
Why would you take a coin to a dig and claim to have found it during the dig.... what a daft thing to do I just don`t get it..Iv`e found one Roman coin, a silver denarius of Hadrian about eighteen months ago and you couldnt fake the excitement I felt, I was showing it to everybody in the street I live on when I arrived back home.
Some strange people going about..... ???

Alan

alexio

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2016, 05:07:23 PM »
One of the big issues with incidents like these is it doesnt do our hobby any good.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 05:31:16 PM by alexio »

shug100

• Dig Attendee
  • Ctx3030
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
Yes the Roman denarii that I found were in very good condition.  Some were shining clean.  They were about 1" deep and at the edge of a river so in 1900 years there had never been any chemicals or fertiliser put into the soil where I found them.  Very tempted to go back again as I have not been there for a few years.
Howard.
xp deus.
Defo mate if I had found silver denari you'd need riot police to get me off that field lol

Sword@Sceptre

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »

i have been lucky in finding a few denari over the years and while some are blackened some have come out as clean as the day they were dropped i think it must depend on the purity of the silver.
[/quote]

I have been lucky to be with Shug when he has recovered several silver roman coins, denarius, and silique, and have recovered a number myself, almost all the coins came out the ground , only needing a wash in warm soapy water, with one or two stained black.

Bill

shug100

• Dig Attendee
  • Ctx3030
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 08:09:31 PM »

I have been lucky to be with Shug when he has recovered several silver roman coins, denarius, and silique, and have recovered a number myself, almost all the coins came out the ground , only needing a wash in warm soapy water, with one or two stained black.
I hope I find one some day I bet you feel amazing your first one

Bill
[/quote]

shug

• Dig Attendee
    • Up yer kilt Magazine
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 08:18:16 PM »

Bill
[/quote]
your first roman is like your first hammy one you will never forget
Jack The Ripper would be a great name for a fitness trainer.

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 08:31:10 PM »
Now you're all just showing off ;)
4 coin hoards.

shug100

• Dig Attendee
  • Ctx3030
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 08:33:57 PM »

Bill
your first roman is like your first hammy one you will never forget
[/quote]
 Well I can only hope lol one day

General......Waste

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 08:37:03 PM »
Im just uploading to utube the denarius hammy ( extremely rare) I found today it was a surface find I couldn't be bothered to dig a 4 inch hole  ;D ;D ;D
CTX
Wader pointer
Evolution river scoop.
Gold rings.2016. 4
 Silver rings.2016. 5
 if pull tabs were worth a penny I'd be rich.

Glenfiddich

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 08:37:32 PM »
Well done Grant for nipping it in the bud while it was in the early stages  :o  :police:

I remember reading things like this before on a different forum where this total numpty tried to say that he had found a hoard of Ancient Greek coins on one of his local permissions somewhere in middle England   :o :o :o except for that the Greeks NEVER EVER invaded Britain and so he was very quickly found out and laughed off the forum  :o  :police: :police:

Serves him bloody well right for trying to make himself look like he was some kind of a hero  :laugh: :laugh:

Glen  ???
XP Deus, Blisstool V3, Tesoro Cibola, and a few more.........beers please
Best finds in 2014 and 2015
decorated Viking silver
Saxon Brooch
Papal Bulla
several different hammies both UK and foreign too
Gold Bracelet
45 Roman Silver Denarius