September 22, 2019, 09:58:23 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Eyes only finds » quern stone ?

Author Topic: quern stone ?  (Read 4896 times)

foundit

• Rising Member
quern stone ?
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
Out today in a biting wind, found two cartwheel pennys thats four in just over a week and some odds and sods.
This stone was sticking out of the side of a drainage ditch, im no expert but it looks like a quern stone, but is it ??? :) :)

Alan

chris3030

Re: quern stone ?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:33:21 PM »
Mill stone??

Or maybe Barney rubbles spare  8)

I can't find one with the drive noch like yours but  a mill stone in my book. Definitely a good find 8)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:42:44 PM by chris3030 »

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »
Great find mate  :) Think you should send a wee pic to TT
Alba Gu Bra'th

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »
Yup, I'd say it was a quern stone for use by hand as it's quite small for a mill stone isn't it? ???. It seems to be made from soft sandstone, not ideal... Maybe a cheap one. Cheers for posting :)

chris3030

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
You probably already found this but  8)
quern (upper stone) with slot for handle
artefact

MANU unknown Amdernach Germany

Materials: lava, Andernach,
Dimensions: 0.35m (diameter)
Locality: Bar Hill fort, Twechar, Strathkelvin, Strathclyde, Scotland
Context: Bar Hill fort, AD 142-180 Roman, Antonine
References: PUBL MACDONALD,G. and PARK, A. 1906 p.89, fig.32, PUBL ROBERTSON, A., SCOTT, M. & KEPPIE, L. 1975 p.45, no.39
Keywords: ROMAN : ANTONINE : FOOD : AWIC_CASE4 : ROMANS IN SCOTLAND DISPLAY :

P0k3Rman

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »
...that is a superb spot and find. It is indeed a quern stone and a very early one (Iron Age), which would indicate a settlement nearby, perhaps a round house?

...if this was found in Scotland it needs reported and would be worth a few quid, as I'm sure it would be claimed. Also, the fields round the area should be searched carefully and any finds instantly reported. If the archaeologists do an excavation, then anything they find would be classed as part of your find, due to it being part of the original assemblage - so worth reporting. I don't think they will do a dig on the strength of this alone, and you need to find more things and accurately plot them.

...it is like this type from the Hunterian museum: http://www.huntsearch.gla.ac.uk/cgi-bin/foxweb/huntsearch/DetailedResults.fwx?collection=all&SearchTerm=F.1936.63&mdaCode=GLAHM

...and below are some sketches of some very early British varieties, which are described as such:

Early British querns. A, pre-Roman Wessex type ; note method of mounting upper stone by means of a peg. B, pre-Roman ,from the Trundle ,. Sussex , from before 50 B.C. C, probably from Iver, first century A. D, D from Hassocks,Sussex ( second century A.D) ; note separate hopper . E,from Thundersbilrrow Hill, Sussex (fourth century A.D.); note device for tentering the upper stone.

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »
Looks like you've got a great find on your hands there Alan. Well found indeed. 8)

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
Well done on a unusual but fantastic find. Let us know what TT say.

Indiana.

foundit

• Rising Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 06:01:35 PM »
...that is a superb spot and find. It is indeed a quern stone and a very early one (Iron Age), which would indicate a settlement nearby, perhaps a round house?

...if this was found in Scotland it needs reported and would be worth a few quid, as I'm sure it would be claimed. Also, the fields round the area should be searched carefully and any finds instantly reported. If the archaeologists do an excavation, then anything they find would be classed as part of your find, due to it being part of the original assemblage - so worth reporting. I don't think they will do a dig on the strength of this alone, and you need to find more things and accurately plot them.

...it is like this type from the Hunterian museum: http://www.huntsearch.gla.ac.uk/cgi-bin/foxweb/huntsearch/DetailedResults.fwx?collection=all&SearchTerm=F.1936.63&mdaCode=GLAHM

...and below are some sketches of some very early British varieties, which are described as such:

Early British querns. A, pre-Roman Wessex type ; note method of mounting upper stone by means of a peg. B, pre-Roman ,from the Trundle ,. Sussex , from before 50 B.C. C, probably from Iver, first century A. D, D from Hassocks,Sussex ( second century A.D) ; note separate hopper . E,from Thundersbilrrow Hill, Sussex (fourth century A.D.); note device for tentering the upper stone.

Hi Pok3Rman
It was found on a river valley below an ancient hill fort, I found my one and only Hadrian Denarius in this area a couple of years ago. Ive sent in a couple of pics to TT to see what they think.
Cheers
Alan

chris3030

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
At the bottom of pokermans link page ther is an email too foundit you could email that guy too it might save you a long wait .

P0k3Rman

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:15 PM »

Hi Pok3Rman
It was found on a river valley below an ancient hill fort, I found my one and only Hadrian Denarius in this area a couple of years ago. Ive sent in a couple of pics to TT to see what they think.
Cheers
Alan

...great stuff, as there were settlements around hill forts. Looking at those drawings, I think your one is 'D' which is roughly from 2nd century!

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 08:17:41 PM »
Very interesting
Good luck with TT  :laugh:
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

DartmoorRanger

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • TEAM MINELAB, TEAM XP
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 08:35:46 PM »
Very nice find mate and good luck with TT. :)
Minelab Etrac, RNB Innovations ML3100, SEF 15x12 Coil, GOG Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, JR Stainless 'V' Blade, JR Stainless Ultimate Digger.
XP Deus

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »
Really interesting find, good luck!
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Haggy

• Dig Attendee
  • Niall
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:45 PM »
What signal did you get on your machine from it? ;)
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
2015 3 Silvers
2016 1 Silver watch case. 4 coins