September 21, 2019, 12:45:52 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Eyes only finds » quern stone ?

Author Topic: quern stone ?  (Read 4890 times)

Maolachy

Re: quern stone ?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2016, 10:21:20 AM »
Definitely the upper stone of a quern - the handle fitted in the horizontal groove, which is unusual; normally a hole was made at the outer rim & a vertical peg fitted. I'm sure the local museum would appreciate it but if you wish to sell I would be happy to buy! Or I can email you more info on querns if you wish.
Maolachy

Oldblue110

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
Haven't seen this thread before now. I'd just like to say what a truly amazing find, well done and if this is the sort of finds your getting I suggest you get a bigger finds bag or a wheelbarrow.

John. :)

Shug100

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »
Well done mate great find

foundit

• Rising Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
Thanks for the comments folks.
Spoke to Natasha Ferguson two weeks ago as the stone is still with the farmer, I agreed to have the stone delivered to my local museum as it was proving difficult to get it picked up. Popped up to the farm yesterday and spoke to the farmer about it and he is more than happy to drop it off....he said it`s in his utility room and he shows it to all his visitors.
Cheers
Alan

Maolachy

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2016, 11:45:24 AM »

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »
I've seen reproductions being used at various historical events I've attended but this is the first real one I've seen being uncovered in the field. Well spotted and good luck with the outcome.
Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Nokta RS Pinpointer

Greusaich

• Rising Member
  • Wadayetalkinabeet
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 03:32:56 AM »
Wow, amazing find!
Sassy! Let the coil.....meet the soil!!!.....”wadeyetalkinabeet”?

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »
I thought this was summin a bit special when you first posted it. What did Natasha have to say? Do you think it could end up being displayed somewhere? Good luck an cheers :).

foundit

• Rising Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
I thought this was summin a bit special when you first posted it. What did Natasha have to say? Do you think it could end up being displayed somewhere? Good luck an cheers :).

Spoke to Natasha about the stone a couple of months ago Sam, I was handing in a brooch for her to have a look at. She said that it was proving difficult getting the stone picked up so I went up and spoke to the farmer who was looking after it, I gave him the TT paperwork and he was going to hand the Quern stone into the local museum, Not heard if its been handed in yet...have to have a run out to speak to the farmer again, he loved it and was showing it to everyone visiting the farm. :) :)

Happy hunting
Alan

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 03:12:08 PM »
Ach well, I'm sure it's in good hands. You can imagine a museum would like it tho, use it for some sort of display or other. There's got to be some decent finds from that area still, good luck.
 Anyway thanks for the update :)