July 18, 2019, 08:10:42 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » gaining permissions

Author Topic: gaining permissions  (Read 2356 times)

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
gaining permissions
« on: March 22, 2016, 12:15:59 AM »
gaining permissions from landowners to search their property, is it the norm to to agree 50 / 50 on any valuable finds and what would be classed as valuable, say you found a silver hammered or a gold coin would you be expected to sell these and split the sale, what if its just really old copper coins do you keep these and dont worry about declaring to landowner, just want some advice on what the normal procedure is ::) is it usually just a gentlemans agreement.

cheers alan ;)
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
Re: gaining permissions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »
TT rules would apply (as usual) and a split with any resulting pay out . For anything not claimed, or not applicable, would really be up to you to decide to sell and give landowner share, or keep, and give him/her something anyway. Everyone will be different in the agreements they have in place, mine are very informal. All smaller, lesser value items are often covered by a nice bottle of whisky or hamper occasionally throughout the year, you dont get your knickers in a twist about the wee fun finds (although I have a farmers wife who enjoys hearing about everything from historical perspective) ;D ;D

This is only my (limited) experience, others on forum will be different. I try to keep my couple of permissions sweet    :-* lol...
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Tommy

• Dig Attendee
  • if in doubt dig it out
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:53:17 AM »
Hope this helps.
XP Deus
Garrett carrot pointer

Sinky

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
I only have 1 farm permission and the terms were thrashed out ( so to speak ) prior to me detecting. It was kept purely verbal and relaxed in nature.
The farmer requested that I visit the farm house to let him know I was there and which field I'd like to dig on that day. That I return to farm house, before leaving, to let them know I'd finished and to show them my finds ( if any ). That I would not be on land with cattle, close gates and not climb over walls. I let him know I was a member of NCMD so had liability insurance and being a member of a club which could be accessed online if they were interested.
It was also discussed that any items of significant historical interest would be reported to TTU. Also that anything of monitory value the normal rule of thumb would be a 50/50 split.
Not that I've found any gold coins or anything claimed by TTU so money so far hasn't been an issue. However I'm sure if you found a gold coin, for example, and gave the farmer half the market value, in cash, he would be more than happy with that. I also take pictures and type up the information about the finds ( find date, location, item details etc ) which I hand in to the farmer when I next visit --- he keeps a file, for his own interest, of the finds which he also shows to friends / family that visit.
I should also add that the farmer has never asked to have any of the items I've found even though I've offered and he would be well within his rights to take.
In the meantime like Eleanor says a wee bottle of the good stuff or hamper from time to time keeps the goodwill flowing and remember most importantly that farmers speak to each other ! so your more likely to gain other permissions when neighbouring farmers hear about the kind detectorist who isn't just there to take and actually gives them something back  ;D It may take a lot of patience waiting for a neighbouring farmer to come around and let you on their land but your patience could be well rewarded by way of finds. I'm slowly getting in with a neighbouring farmer who always talks to me and shows huge interest but so far hasn't succumbed after 1½ years --- hopefully my patience will not be in vain  ;D

2017 :-  Hammered x 10, Milled silver x 18, Roman Brooch x 1, Saxon stirrup mount x 1, silver thimble x 1

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »
All good advice

chris3030

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »
Interesting posts.
I think it's an unwritten rule that the land owner gets 50%. Of course the farmer is trusting the detectorests to be 100% up front with what they find also kind enough to let us on their land .I find farmers are very interested in what we find even if it's scrap or a rusty old nail esp if the land has been in the family for generations even a nail or penny tells a story.
As a rule I give a box or a bottle every few trips and if the  farmer is around wen I'm heading home he always comes over for a chat and likes to see what I've dug and often asks about the stuff I took home to id so they are definitely interested in our finds.

Stan67

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 12:38:32 PM »
Cant add much more to whats already been said I have contracts in place with a couple of my farmers
i have also verbal agreements some are interested in what i find others just say plod away Stan go where you like :)
Cases that have went through treasure trove with me i always copy the email with the value of the find on it laminate it and give it to the farmer :)
 As Eleanor says a nice bottle or hamper at Christmas time goes a long way to a healthy relationship with the farmer :)
The job im in (Livestock Auction Market ) also helps ,I always give the farmers a hand sorting out there stock to the best selling advantage for them :)

Good luck on your new permission :)
Teknetiks T2 se :D
Sef 12x10 coil silver sniffer :)
Garrett Pinpoint Probe :)
Garrett Pinpoint ll Probe :D
Makro Pointer  :/

2014  Hammy x 4  Gold Ring x 1
2015   Hammy x 11 (wooooo)
2016  Hammy x 9

Quest-- to get more hammies than Fergal  :D this year again best of 3 wins ;) 1-0 Fergal :)

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »
thanks for all the good advice, straight forward and common sense. ;)
everyone seems to be on the same wavelength :o
pretty much what i had in mind,
will stick to verbal agreement if i can but the print out contract looks great if i ever need it.

cheers alan. ;)

ps. chris3030  do you gift wrap the box for extra disappointment so when the
      farmer opens it, its just a box :o :laugh: :laugh:
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

chris3030

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 07:44:30 PM »
Ha no  :D but sometimes I do just open it and munch away and then have to get aanother for him  8)

Xcav80R

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »
IMHO I would build a relationship with the landowner. I contact him if I see any damaged fences, injured livestock etc, it is much appreciated I am on first name terms with most now. Found a David II groat in January, my first Scottish hammy in great nick to. Obviously wanted to keep it so gave the landowner half of the highest book price, goes a long way to build up a relationship for the years ahead.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 10:59:58 PM »
IMHO I would build a relationship with the landowner. I contact him if I see any damaged fences, injured livestock etc, it is much appreciated I am on first name terms with most now. Found a David II groat in January, my first Scottish hammy in great nick to. Obviously wanted to keep it so gave the landowner half of the highest book price, goes a long way to build up a relationship for the years ahead.

My second ever Scottish hammy was a David (East Kilbride) which I have to the farmers wife as she had a wee coin collection
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Xcav80R

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »
Grant yer a good man, just couldnae let mines go...  :)