July 18, 2019, 08:13:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » ace 250

Author Topic: ace 250  (Read 1286 times)

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
ace 250
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:32:55 PM »
ive got a field just now with lots of signals, some signals are coke, lots of iron and quite a few goodsignals although nothing great so far apart from my wee religios pendant that pok3rman id for me cheers again. ive tended to ignore the iron signals just not digging them, some of the decent signals turn out to be iron anyway, should i be digging everything on the off chance the iron signal being actually a coin or a good find. still new to this as ive only been detecting around 24 hrs overall so still getting my bearings any advice on ace 250 or detecting in general would be helpfull.

2 hrs today and got a donkey (hee-haw).

cheers alan. ;)
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

Tommy

• Dig Attendee
  • if in doubt dig it out
Re: ace 250
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »
Hi mate if you send Danny465 a message I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction. Been plenty of good finds with the 250 so stick with it mate and good luck.
XP Deus
Garrett carrot pointer

alexio

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:06:31 PM »
Hi Woodwynd, I used an Ace250 for a long time and I think all you need to do is ignore the iron signals, put it on all metal, notch out only the first bar on the grid, dont notch out the second and so on, cos they might be hammies, by leaving it on the all metal mode you can hear all your signals and like i said just ignore the ones that are iron, if it bounces all over the place, theres either interference nearby, a hot rock, heavy mineralised soil or a good find next to iron, but unfortuantely that decsion is up to you, the more you dig the more you get used to it, good luck

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
cheers alexio, yes i usually dont notch any out just choose to ignore, i didn't know hammys could reg quite a low tone, so i will try notching out the first iron bar and like you said sometimes jumps all over the place, should i turn down the sensitivity another notch, im usually down one or two already but dont want to lose too much depth. all metal mode all the time so farfor me. ;) :)

im not scunnered, i knew it wasn't going to be a walk in the park :laugh: :laugh:.
im pretty pleased with the few finds ive had and i know more will come just looking for tips from experienced 250 users
so i can apply tips to help me by not making too many rookie mistakes. 
alan. ;)
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

Haggy

• Dig Attendee
  • Niall
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 08:42:21 PM »
Being a 250 user at the moment can't really add anything to the good info you've been given, above, already.
Low and slow and the goodies will come.
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
2015 3 Silvers
2016 1 Silver watch case. 4 coins

alexio

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 09:14:30 PM »
yeah I agree, youre right dont need to turn the sensiivity down, unless its only for a moment going through a trashy area, but remember the Ace250 is a cracking machine and im glad it was my first one, it absolutely loves coins and will find you good stuff, I got my first hammy with it and my first gold half sovereign as well as a gold ring and a bunch of silver etc, a lot of crap in between but hey thats part of the hobby no matter what machine you have, cheers

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 09:42:38 PM »
You probably do this already, but when you get a signal, make sure you slowly narrow your swing so that the swing is getting narrower and you are only swinging centimetres. Turn your body 90degrees and start the process over again on the same spot.
Happy hunting  :laugh:
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

harbinger

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 10:09:23 PM »
One other thing,Try not to think of things as rookie mistakes(its more a case of things that you are not aware of)that at some point you become aware of.Most of us are new to this hobby,and are constantly learning(and quite often forgetting stuff).Its just a matter of repeated trial and error and it gets better and more enjoyable as you start feeling more confident both with your machine and what you are doing.