May 27, 2019, 03:06:34 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » First detector

Author Topic: First detector  (Read 2984 times)

Reaper

• My photography page
First detector
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
Does anyone use a 300i or know if this is good for a beginner?

Tommy

• Dig Attendee
  • if in doubt dig it out
Re: First detector
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
The 300i is a new version of the euro ace all these machines the 150 up to the 300 or euro ace are a great first time machine as many will agree. There's been many great finds made with that range. People usually move onto the at pro after those and some stick with that range as it works for them. There's plenty garrett users on the forum and at digs so if you need any pointers just ask. You could also borrow the loan machine which is a euro ace if you'd like to try it.
XP Deus
Garrett carrot pointer

Dougie Digs

• http://www.beachdetecting.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »
Hi Reaper ,
I commented on your introduction post to the group regards your intentions to try the beaches as follows

Hi Reaper ,
You are in the right neck of the woods to join these experienced turf guys on their digs and they will be happy to see you and help out with your
choice of machine .
If starting on a local beach with either of the Garrett,s its a switch on and go machine , ideal for the dry sand and with summer season nearly upon us
plenty of  recent losses to be found .
The older stuff is out in the wet sand and generally quite deep , depending on beach conditions .  Possibly something to try once you are acquainted
with your choice of detector . Enjoy the buzz of finding recent stuff  and head to the beach of a summers evening ( once the jakies ) have left
and no doubt you will meet other detectorists in their quest for cash   lol
If attempting the wet sand.....All metal mode , drop the sensitivity down to 2-3 bars maximum and dig everything .GL and HH , enjoy  this fantastic pursuit and get along to a dig when possible .

In furtherance and response to your quest for a starting machine the Ace 150 , 250 , 350 etc are tried and tested  "starter " machines for both turf and surf (dry sand) within your budget , only my personal opinion but new innovations of these models incur new innovated costs , higher budget etc    lol   and to be fair I doubt the difference in performance would be arguably noticeable .

Stick to an affordable budget , try to ignore the manufactureres implied bells and whistles , listen to those that use or have used said machines foremost...always a tricky dilemma for anyone starting out ...which one...we have all been there

Best wishes and hope you can work through the minefield  (pardon the pun )  of info , manage to purchase a suitable machine and get out and enjoy the buzz of detecting  !!!!!
F/Book beach detecting group    https://www.facebook.com/groups/240516389460641/

You Tube channel    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAAdFZKRZhKTv4Rr1DV8qzw

Facebook    https://www.facebook.com/dougie.shaw.94

ctx3030

garrett euroace

minelab go-find 60

prestwick

retired n luvin it

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:02:38 PM »
Hi Reaper, as said the 300i is a new machine but being from garrett you can't go wrong.
Welcome to the forum.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

Stoney

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
Hi reaper I am also a newbie started in Feb this year I use a 250 so far it's been a great machine I don't use it on beaches but so far I've found heaps of coins the best so far are William the third silver and James the 1st hammy so it's doing me well at the moment.

Reaper

• My photography page
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the messages. How do I borrow the loan machine? 

Tommy

• Dig Attendee
  • if in doubt dig it out
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
Hi guys thanks for the messages. How do I borrow the loan machine?

If you are attending one of our digs add your name to the dig list and request the loan machine. Its on a first come first served basis so you need to get your name down asap. There is no charge for the loan gear. You will get the detector pinpointer spade and finds bag. Hope this helps and hopefully see you at a dig. (you'll also get a demo on the easiest way to use it and help during the day so you won't be left to it)
XP Deus
Garrett carrot pointer

Reaper

• My photography page
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 12:33:48 PM »
Brilliant thanks, I will try to make it to a dig soon.

harbinger

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 12:23:00 AM »
If you do get a detector,i may well come up and do a beach hunt with you later in the year.I like Arbroath and ussually stay at "Harbour lights" b&b the blue building in the harbour,good ice cream and chips nextdoor too!
gold coins       0
silver coins    5
hammies         0
roman coins  0
gold rings       2
silver rings    0
silver jewellery 1 earing
spendables  £30.80

Reaper

• My photography page
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »
That would be cool Harbinger, I got the 300i, been out a few times with it but only found junk

harbinger

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »
If your finding junk at least its working,most likely be october before i can get up there for a bling hunt.If you've been on the beach detecting site on facebook you will have seen the sort stuff the dedicated beach guys find.It may well take a while but keep hunting the good days are the exception but when you have one,you will feel like king of the world(and you can tell the non believers to shut it).It won't take many gold rings etc to pay for your machine and after that its sport and pleasure!!!!!! Your day WILL come.
gold coins       0
silver coins    5
hammies         0
roman coins  0
gold rings       2
silver rings    0
silver jewellery 1 earing
spendables  £30.80

Greusaich

• Rising Member
  • Wadayetalkinabeet
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 07:25:07 AM »
I bought the Euro Ace, great wee machine, very user friendly to set up. On wet sand it takes a lot more figuring out due to falsing so you have to set it up better on the sand.
It would be nice if it had numbers on the screen but it's got a bar so you just break them down and place a value on them. I think the newer machines are numbered though.
I would agree you might be better off borrowing first and seeing if you get on with it.

Have fun!
Sassy! Let the coil.....meet the soil!!!.....”wadeyetalkinabeet”?

Wetony290515

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
I bought the ace 300i for my first machine about 3 months ago and its brilliant. Its very easy to get used to and ive found some amazing stuff with it. This is what i found in the first 3 weeks with mine and im still finding loads with it everytime im out.
Garrett Ace 300i

Oldblue110

• Dig Attendee
  • If it beeps,dig it.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 11:09:18 AM »
Welcome reaper, I've got an ace 250 and an AT Pro, can't go wrong with a Garrett, good luck and happy hunting.

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »
Good luck Reaper with whatever detector you decide to get... I'm liking the finds pic :) HH...