August 22, 2019, 07:14:17 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Roman Road

Author Topic: Roman Road  (Read 2200 times)

DaveBB

Roman Road
« on: July 16, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »
Hello,
I'm pretty new and have a question about older artifacts. I have the opportunity to detect on an old roman road that goes from marching camp to marching camp, obviously the camps are scheduled but the road is not. I am thinking you might find a coin or spear head, but recently I've found a few 1860 ish half pennies/pennies and they are so corroded that you need a magnifying glass to see any detail. So knowing that a coin is 120 years old is very corroded will roman metal artifacts even be worth looking for?

They pulled a few spear heads out in 1968 out of one of the camps and they were described as 'lumps of iron'. 

Thanks  :D

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Re: Roman Road
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 09:56:58 AM »
You never know what you may find and always worth a days detecting, good luck and welcome to the forum.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »
Always worth a try  :) you never know what might turn up  :)
Alba Gu Bra'th

tommylee

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 12:17:47 PM »
if you'll find some silver or bronze artefact, it will be probably in not so terrible condition, even if the ground is bad

axb77938

• Dig Attendee
  • THE AIRTH TERRET(100BC off iron age chariot)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 01:57:49 PM »
Worth it found lots stuff near roman road dere street
Falkirk Museum on display : Iron Age Hoard biggest find in Falkirk District since 1933
Linlithgow Annet House Museum on display : Bronze Age Axe/ Papal Bulla/Toy Hammer
National Museum : Roman Mounts/Medieval pendents 28 x TT claimed cert
Finest Medieval Sliver Fede Ring Ever Found In Scotland

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »
Well, here's one that was in the ground for 1900 + years.
Believe me, it was well worth it, the detail is amazing and the feeling tremendous  :laugh:

Any excuse to show it off again  :laugh: :laugh:
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 05:04:23 PM »
Well worth a bash! Good luck and let us know how you get on!    :D
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Stevie777

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »
Detect left and right of the road as well. Loads of stuff would have ended up in the ditches. Including bodies..lol

Oldblue110

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 04:56:48 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, hope you do well on your Roman Road. Looking forward to seeing all of your finds, good luck.

John.

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 02:24:44 AM »
the roads will have been in use long after the romans left so there could be any number of things to be found, good luck :) ;)
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

northernlite

• Etrac & SovereignXS
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Hi Dave,
I have a permission here locally that includes a Roman marching camp. Having done a fair amount research I,m not sure if the northern marching camps are actually linked by engineered Roman roads. Certainly as you get into the forts etc and the Gask ridge area there are roman roads shown linking them. This must be as they they must be traceable or visible as marks in the ground.
I,m not convinced that beyond the last forts ( beyond Stracathro and north) they built engineered roads as we know them. But 20,000 men on the move would have to have had decent routes to follow.
However there is a Normandykes to Fochabers Roman road recorded in Canmore. No trace apparently..but it is also shown on 1700's maps. So did it exist and get continued use?
All very confusing.
The area i would concentrate on would be the entrance and exit areas ( South and North/North East sides) Also they were allowed to stop and have a 10 min rest per hour. So by looking at geographic features you maybe able to work out where they may have stopped to cross fords, burns etc)

pse feel free to pm me here if u want to chat or compare notes on this subject :)

usefull info on this : http://www.bandaarcgeophysics.co.uk/arch/roman_marching_camps_uk.html
http://www.bandaarcgeophysics.co.uk/arch/roman_legionary_marching.pdf

"Just get over It"

DaveBB

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »
Thanks for all the info, I gave it a good go! I found mostly agricultural items, still interesting! I did find a George 4th coin, very exciting. Will keep up the hunt, thanks again for all that info!