December 11, 2018, 07:21:28 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detecting Stories » Question of the day.. ever encountered a dodgy situation while detecting?

Author Topic: Question of the day.. ever encountered a dodgy situation while detecting?  (Read 3358 times)

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
Last night while out at farm a little later than normal, getting dark,  I came across a van having a slow prowl about farm. Once seen by me, (mexican standoff for a second..)  it took another route through a back road (still on farm, which is NOT  a thru road) Alerted farmer immed obvs (we have our uses..) . He has had bother with "lost" vans on his land, had items stolen, quad bike nicked, and strangers in his courtyard etc.  So anyway, despite regularly traipsing about fields & woods on my own, it was the first time I felt properly vulnerable, and wee bit nervous.
Have any of you ever come across anything iffy or strange while on your wanderings? Or am I just being a big girls blouse?  ;D  ;D
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Kirstycat

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
Sounds scary Eleanor. I do get nervous if I'm detecting alone 
Silver anything 22
Hammies 0
Gold - wee bit rose
Learning to post pics - Hit and miss

Argosdan

• Dig Attendee
I'm always cautious when out on my own.....too many yobs hanging around asking what I've found when on my way home.....tell them only junk lol
But can't help thinking that they could try and have my detector.........that's why I have my spade and garret edge digger lol
Just be careful

General......Waste

• Dig Attendee
Not scary but
Was lying down enjoying  sea views when a couple of fox cubs came out to play ruff n tumble not 10 feet from me. they saw me but they carried on playing regardless that's probably my scariest metaldetecting story  :)
CTX
Wader pointer
Evolution river scoop.
Gold rings.2016. 4
 Silver rings.2016. 5
 if pull tabs were worth a penny I'd be rich.

Tommy

• Dig Attendee
  • if in doubt dig it out
I was out for a drive last night visiting farms when I encountered a right dodgy looking person with a pink camo hat on needless to say I didn't hang around lol.
XP Deus
Garrett carrot pointer

Dirt digger

• Dig Attendee
I was out the other week in a field when from nowhere a herd of around 40 bullocks gathered around me. I tried to keep calm and started walking towards them. They all ran off while I about turned and made my way to the edge of the field and jumped into another field.

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
I was out for a drive last night visiting farms when I encountered a right dodgy looking person with a pink camo hat on needless to say I didn't hang around lol.

Beat it you...  ;D ;D
Well if youre looking for club permissions crawling about in the dark in a manky transit van with fake reggy plates, DS is DOOMED haha.. ;D ;D
But if youre taking "orders" id like a pink quad bike...  ;D

Thanks for replies folks, Chris yours is deffo more of an Aawwww moment than an Eeekkkk moment ... :D
I will "man up" and make sure I have my digging knife to hand in future, never know what you might come across..
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

tommylee

• Dig Attendee
some time ago bunch of young cows been trying to be a little too friendly for me, running at me. I managed to escape by jumping through electrict fence. Just.
no weird stories with people though, maybe I'm scary enough for strangers :D

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
Not wanting to be a scaremonger, but you were right to be suspicious and cautious.  More nowadays than ever before.  Sounds like you had a close encounter of the nefarious kind. Check you have your phone with you, it's charged up, and that you can get a signal wherever you are especially if you are on your own.

If you come across that kind of situation again, act like you don't care, don't stare, don't communicate unless you have to, and if you get a chance, take a sneaky pic of the vehicle and its Reg No/occupants.

Also make sure someone knows the area you're going to be detecting in.

That said, it IS an unusual situation so don't let it put you off!

Good post by the way ...

Bob.

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
That is scary Eleanor. Like uncle bob says, make sure you have your phone handy just in case.
I've not experienced anything like that but have felt quite vulnerable in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere.
Be alert and stay safe
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

Oldblue110

• Dig Attendee
  • If it beeps,dig it.
Definately scary Eleanor , take care when out there are too many thefts from farms these days. You don't want to stumble across some crooks at work.

Stevie777

Just a winged creature.....

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Once was in long grass and stumbled upon sleeping baby deer! I nearly filled my shorts when they sprang up in front of me  :o

Similarly
Another time whilst leaving a unnamed salmon river at night I disturbed a deer in the undergrowth which ran right into the deer fence by the road not 12' away getting its head and one leg through and tangled in brambles.

I did what any Good Samaritan would do and skelped it on the napper with my priest before giving it a lift to Glasgow and converting it to venison, result as I failed to get any salmon or Sea trout that night.
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

DartmoorRanger

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • TEAM MINELAB, TEAM XP
Once was in long grass and stumbled upon sleeping baby deer! I nearly filled my shorts when they sprang up in front of me  :o

Similarly
Another time whilst leaving a unnamed salmon river at night I disturbed a deer in the undergrowth which ran right into the deer fence by the road not 12' away getting its head and one leg through and tangled in brambles.

I did what any Good Samaritan would do and skelped it on the napper with my priest before giving it a lift to Glasgow and converting it to venison, result as I failed to get any salmon or Sea trout that night.
;D ;D ;D Brilliant.
Minelab Etrac, RNB Innovations ML3100, SEF 15x12 Coil, GOG Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, JR Stainless 'V' Blade, JR Stainless Ultimate Digger.
XP Deus

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant

Similarly

;D ;D ;D Brilliant.

I'll tell you something else it's while I was at faslane living in the block, it's skull will be in the big bushes right by my old accom block 😂 I gralloched it on the grass there and hung it in the shower till morning and took it to my friendly butcher in Glasgow in the morn
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:00:54 AM by Grant »
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)