July 18, 2019, 08:11:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Beach Detecting » Argyll beaches

Author Topic: Argyll beaches  (Read 1260 times)

Reaper

Argyll beaches
« on: August 30, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »
Hi guys, I am thinking about moving to Campeltown and was wondering what the beaches in Argyll are like for detecting?

Caberfeidh

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
Re: Argyll beaches
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
In the 19th Century and early 20th, steamships took passengers in their thousands "doon the watter" to various port towns in Argyll for a day at the seaside. I reckon the beaches will be productive and little-scanned by detectorists. Then you have medieval and Norse treasures (well, you never know)... Good luck!

alexio

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »
I tried the Macrahanish beach last year and it was very quiet, hardly any trash.

The best thing though was asking farmers down there to get a bit of digging on which I managed but it was mostly viccy stuff.

I plan to do the beaches again, hopefuully this year, try and stick to the ones that tourists go though if your after trinkets and modern stuff, but you'll be lucky to get yourself a pint with the coins at the end of the day by the looks of things, but good luck, I might see you down there if you move.

Reaper

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:58:03 PM »
Thanks guys, it can't be any worse than my track record up here just junk  and no coins... Ever haha.

flabby1234

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »
Hi im looking to buy a detector that will work on the beach, does anyone have any tips to what i should be trying to get.

Mr WhiteLab

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
I went detecting there years ago but found nothing really worth writing home about. Hope you get on well anyway and have more luck than I have up here in the NE. Just nails, nails and more nails with the occasional old pre-decimal penny thrown in. As for a decent beach machine, I have heard of people using a C-Scope CS4Pi on beaches which go for around the £200-£300 mark. I personally use a Whites Surfmaster PI which is a demon on the wet sand and the depth is unreal (well over a foot deep for a nail easily)  but mostly nails are all I have found! However, I am starting to know what are nails and what are not. I don't get out much with this machine but I will persevere as the beaches I go on up here are well historical. DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU HAVE A BACK PROBLEM! Good luck on the beach.