May 24, 2019, 02:25:58 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Recommendation for beginner with budget of about £250

Author Topic: Recommendation for beginner with budget of about £250  (Read 1551 times)

croggy

Recommendation for beginner with budget of about £250
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »
Hello Everyone

I originally posted this is "Equipment Reviews" and then realised it was probably the wrong thread, so apologies for that.

I've been considering taking up metal detecting as a hobby for a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge.  I have a budget of around £250 to spend on a detector and after a small amount of research, I'm currently considering buying a Garrett Euro Ace from Leisure Promotions, who are currently selling it for £245.
Please could you let me know if you think this detector is a good choice for my budget and also if you consider Leisure Promotions to be a good company to deal with?

Thanks very much
Guy

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
Re: Recommendation for beginner with budget of about £250
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 06:08:48 PM »
euro ace is a good machine with a good coil, great starter machine, i dont think you will regret getting one  :) leisure promotions is a good company, have a look at regtons who are the main dealer for garrett, checkout their price as you are a member of detecting scotland they give you a 10% discount  :) :) and free next day delivery, i would callthem to get the discount, welcome to  ds. :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:44:32 PM by woodwynd »
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »
had a look about, thats a pretty good deal  :) would ask if it comes with a coil cover, if not could they through one in  ;D
you dont ask you dont get :) ;)
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »
Good advice there.  If you check out Garrett's web site you'll see a series of videos about the EuroAce done by Ian Hughes (well known Cumbrian detectorist who often detects in Scotland) which are very good indeed.

All the best,

Bob.

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:31:57 PM »
Great starter machine  :) go for it
Alba Gu Bra'th

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:38:27 PM »
Hi Croggy and welcome to DetectingScotland. You see plenty of people out with their Euro aces at DS digs, so I'm sure they're good machines. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 07:50:20 PM »
Hey Croggy, EuroAce great machine to start with, as prev said Regtons do a discount for DS forum members if you call. Im sure the DS loan machine is currently a EuroAce, so you could attend a dig and try before you buy?
Good luck with your purchase.  :)
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

DartmoorRanger

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • TEAM MINELAB, TEAM XP
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:03:12 PM »
Hello mate great advice from woodwynd there, as the euroace seems to be a very good and popular detector. :)
Minelab Etrac, RNB Innovations ML3100, SEF 15x12 Coil, GOG Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, JR Stainless 'V' Blade, JR Stainless Ultimate Digger.
XP Deus

paul and kiero

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:07:53 PM »
I agree with everyone as I have the Garrett too as no long started myself and found some braw finds.... Welcome to the forum ;)

Mark_M

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 11:19:42 PM »
Hi,

This is useful for myself also as someone from my work is asking for a recommendation, based on the preference for Garrett's as a starter machine on the forum I was thinking of suggesting the new 300 or 400? How do the newer machines compare against the EuroAce?

Thanks

Mark
Fisher F44 + Mars Tiger coil

Greusaich

• Rising Member
  • Wadayetalkinabeet
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 01:15:23 AM »
Hi there, the EuroAce in my personal opinion is easy for a beginner. There are instructional videos that can be found on YouTube which are handy.
The double D coil covers a wide area, also the machine has a pinpoint function to locate target with relative ease.
The EuroAce is great inland and goes deep, if you get feedback just turn the sensitivity down a little.

The only gripes I have with this machine is that is terrible on wet sand. It works great on dry. Wet sand or minieralised black sand it's no good, always ghosting, giving you a false signal to dig and nothing there lol, but you will still find stuff with it on the wet sand, its just very labouring.

If you think you will be doing a lot of sand then why not look at the Minelab Go Find 60.
Do your research on both machines, think what type of land you are most likely to do and decide from there.

Weight wise the EuroAce is fairly light (though ive nothing to compare it to) and it only takes 4 AA batteries. I use Panasonic eneloop PRO  rechargeable batteries and they are fantastic, they last donkies! Overall theres the issue with wet sand, you wind the sensitivity down and keep trying, also if you get interference in a field wind it down a few notches.
If you want to buy a good pinpointer probe I would recommend detekniks X pointer, you can get them at detectorbits uk. Mines has been brilliant! Just take a spare battery!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:17:07 AM by Greusaich »
Sassy! Let the coil.....meet the soil!!!.....”wadeyetalkinabeet”?