May 22, 2019, 06:07:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Keeping coins good

Author Topic: Keeping coins good  (Read 1458 times)

Wetony290515

Keeping coins good
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
Hi i am still very new to this hobby and was wondering if there was any good ways to keep coins good from the field until i get them home. The coins always look worse when i get them home. Has anybody got any tips or tricks to preserve them better ??
Garrett Ace 300i

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
Re: Keeping coins good
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
I keep an airtight box with a damp cloth in it, the cloth is great for cleaning finds on the field and if you want to keep anything decent until you get home then simply wrap it in the cloth and keep it in the tub.

Once I get home the objects usually always dry out and it if something like an old penny etc then it is bound to crumble on exposure to the air..... the joys of being in the ground for so long.
4 coin hoards.

Wetony290515

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »
Thanks alot , thats what ill start doing, do you think that putting a coat of vaseline or something on them when i get them home would keep them in better condition ?
Garrett Ace 300i

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:41:31 PM »
I know you can get something called renaissance wax..... I'm sure others in the forum can give you more info as I don't coat my finds with anything. I did however use Vaseline years ago to bring out the details on badly corroded coins.
Obviously it should only be used on non significant finds.

Hope you have success in saving some of your finds but remember that all these things will eventually dry out and have its fall off.

All the best
Marty
4 coin hoards.

Oldblue110

• Dig Attendee
  • If it beeps,dig it.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:31:09 AM »
All the museums coat them with a little amount of microcrystalline wax, there are a few different brands on the market . The more popular brands are Renaissance wax,and the one I use is microcrystalline wax from the chestnut range of products. The best way I think to keep them until you get home is put them in small individual zip lock bags to seal in the moisture and keep out the air, or put them in a small sealed plastic tub with a wet piece of cloth in it to preserve the moisture until you clean them and coat them in wax to preserve the patina. Some people like the patina and others like then clean and shiny. Hope this helps.

Wetony290515

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:16:12 PM »
Cheers oldblue i think ill try the both of them, ill definately start taking a sealed container with a wet cloth to keep them good until i get home. Thanks again.
Garrett Ace 300i

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »
Old copper pennies etc often deteriorate when washed under the tap and I wonder if this could be due to the chlorine that is added to tap water to kill bacteria.  If my theory is correct then maybe distilled water or water bought from Halfords etc for battery top up could give better results when washing.
Howard.

DaveBB

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »
Old copper pennies etc often deteriorate when washed under the tap and I wonder if this could be due to the chlorine that is added to tap water to kill bacteria.  If my theory is correct then maybe distilled water or water bought from Halfords etc for battery top up could give better results when washing.
Howard.
I have RO/DI water from my fish tank seemed to work well on the few coins I have. I store in an air tight display case, I can't see any deterioration yet!