August 23, 2019, 01:01:14 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Beat the Doc - Identify your finds here » Trade Weights?

Author Topic: Trade Weights?  (Read 732 times)

Mitchell

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
Trade Weights?
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:47:59 PM »
Hi guys

Been finding these over a couple of years on the same 3 adjoining fields.  They seem to be either lead or a lead based alloy with no distinguishable markings on any of them, the darker coloured one was one of the first I found and I (stupidly) coated it with show polish to see if it would show up any details.   

The fields throw up a lot of Victorian/Edwardian stuff and with the exception of an Edward I/II penny nothing of any great age.  If it was just a one off find wouldn't be that bothered but it's the fact that almost every time I visit these fields one pops up.

Anyone any idea's?  I have written the weight in grams under each one, I'm thinking they are just unofficial/unmarked trade weights but if anyone has any other suggestions I would be interested to know. 
AT Pro
Ace 250
Pro-Pointer

hughatno6

• Dig Attendee
Re: Trade Weights?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:59:20 PM »
Hi Mitchell
I have found 7 of these discs in two fields that i detect, also finding Viccy and Edwardian pennies and halfpennies
The lead discs are around 5 mm thick and between 45 mm to 50 mm in diameter turns out there was a mine shaft next to the fields and the miners used to play quoits in front of the bing from the mine, and I have a book with a picture of the quoits which look the same as the discs I have, I havent mastered putting pics up on the forum, but i will email them to you and you can post them if you like if you pm me your email.

Mitchell

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
Thanks Hugh

PM sent, very interesting no mines direct nearby my fields but defiantly within a mining area.  I know from the farmer there was a Victorian/Edwardian dump on one of the fields and this is where most of the finds come from so it would tie in with your theory. 

AT Pro
Ace 250
Pro-Pointer

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »
Now THAT's an interesting piece of historical info  -  I'm sure others will find that very helpful.

Well done mate!

Bob.

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
  • Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
Interesting - I have found a few of these too in my short time detecting. I keep thinking I have found a large silver coin when I first see them but no, they are just the ones you describe - lead and with no markings on them at all.

Muddy
XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!

hughatno6

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:35:39 PM »
Anyone want the info pm an email address i will send the pictures and the extract

martin cdo

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 11:07:15 PM »
I have about 75 of these from august last year, there all over east ayrshire, some of mine have been marked or scored ;D ;D

Mitchell

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
Got your email Hugh, very interesting cheers
AT Pro
Ace 250
Pro-Pointer

Mitchell

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »
I'm in East Ayrshire as well, seems to be all tying in and makes more sense than just trade weights.
AT Pro
Ace 250
Pro-Pointer