April 18, 2019, 03:56:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Metal Detectors » Garrett » Newbie - Garrett AT Pro - A good start?

Author Topic: Newbie - Garrett AT Pro - A good start?  (Read 1202 times)

Cal

• Abide!
Newbie - Garrett AT Pro - A good start?
« on: February 22, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »
Hi, I am new to this but have been doing some research online. I wondered if there was a better way of spending £600 on a new machine other than the AT Pro? I am smitten with the ATX but I need to find a hoard first! Will the AT Pro be a good start for my retired leisure time? I want a decent machine that can operate to a reasonable level on beaches, river sides and mainland.

Thank You in advance - I am very excited to get going!

Cal

fraxis1985

• Dig Attendee
  • TEAM AT PRO
Re: Newbie - Garrett AT Pro - A good start?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
It will be the best start for you. You wont ever need to upgrade if you dont want to i swear by the garrett its awsome :)
You have to be over it to find it

MarkRS

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
Without a doubt.

Great machine - waterproof also. Good choice

Mark
You Tube Channel - http://tinyurl.com/zup45c9

Kyt2016

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 08:57:39 PM »
Yip definitely, then if you feel it's not for you then just sell it to me for half price   8) jokes aside.. Go for it  :)

Cal

• Abide!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:19:47 PM »
Well thanks for the replies. I've also spent a few hours trawling this terrific online resource that is Detecting Scotland! I will make the AT my retirement gift to myself and get moving now the nights are lighter.

Thanks again for the replies. Appreciate that my question has been asked a million times already but it is reassuring to see the replies.

Many Thanks

Cal
newb!

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
Hi Cal. Glad you finally settled on the AT Pro! As Fraxis said, you won't regret it as it's a superb all rounder. Like any detector, you have to invest some time learning the tones it produces and initially, it can seem confusing but stick with it! Try burying some coins or scraps of different metals in the garden, mark the locations and have a swing over them as a trial. A lot of the guys on the forum including myself use the Pro so if you need any help with it, just post up your query. Good luck and happy hunting!
Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Nokta RS Pinpointer

Martym1982

• Dig Attendee
  • 8 silvers in 8 digs 1 x Hammy
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
ive got the at pro and it has done me great. its only machine ive ever owned and i cant say a bad thing about it works very well and not to hard to pick up its a great bit of kit

Greusaich

• Rising Member
  • Wadayetalkinabeet
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 06:06:12 PM »
I would also suggest that you look at the Makro Racer. From what I researched the AT pro is not so great on the wet sand however there were other reports saying it's user error.
The Makro Racer is great on field and wet sand but is not submersible (if that's what you require) the coil and shaft are but not the control box.

I honestly can't comment from a personal point of view on the AT pro but they certainly have a following.
I can comment on the Original Red Racer which is great. It did have some issues being new to the market (the at pro did too apparently) but Makro have outstanding customer service I have found.
Issues were the lugs on the coil breaking. They replaced with a new updated coil.
Wireless headphone dongle on the red Racer has a bit of lag depending on what gear you use.
The Makro Racer 2 has ironed out the kinks of the red Racer and I believe a new submersible version is being made/planned.

I've 3 coils for mine. One little sniper coil, the standard and the big one, all have been fantastic although I do find the big one a bit of a handful in longer grass.
If I could afford a Racer 2 then I would take it due to the slightly better features.

This is probably not much use but I like to waffle on  ;D ;D ;D
Sassy! Let the coil.....meet the soil!!!.....”wadeyetalkinabeet”?