June 25, 2019, 01:18:34 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Ye Old Digger Bar » General Non Detecting Blethering » Beware buying coins from Ebay ** UPDATE**

Author Topic: Beware buying coins from Ebay ** UPDATE**  (Read 2790 times)

Sinky

• Dig Attendee
Beware buying coins from Ebay ** UPDATE**
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:30:28 PM »
I recently purchased a Henry 3rd hammered coin from ebay. No problems you would think and fully expect to receive the coin pictured in the advert ?
Well the coin that arrived was not the one pictured in the advert but the seller is maintaining that it is !?!? ( picture below so you can judge for yourselves ). Coin on left picture taken from the advert --- coin on the right is the one that arrived.
This person now is not accepting my return request and is telling me that I need to return it funded from my own pocket. This goes against Ebay policy but I'm now stuck in limbo waiting for the resolution time to end so that I can ask Ebay to step in and make a decision.

Thoughts welcome guys and gals  ;)

Ebay policy :- 

If the buyer changes their mind about a purchase and wants to return an item, they may need to pay return postage costs, depending on the seller's return policy. Sellers can provide a return postage address and additional return postage information for the buyer in My eBay.

Sellers pay for return postage if there's a problem with the item. For example, if the item doesn't match the listing description, is damaged or defective or is counterfeit.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:08:41 PM by Sinky »
2017 :-  Hammered x 10, Milled silver x 18, Roman Brooch x 1, Saxon stirrup mount x 1, silver thimble x 1

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
Re: Beware buying coins from Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »
Apart from the colour difference, it looks like a completely different coin.

Good luck Brian.

Tommy

• Dig Attendee
  • if in doubt dig it out
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:46:06 PM »
Not a chance that's the same coin who was the seller?  Stevie wonder.....
XP Deus
Garrett carrot pointer

Sinky

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:58:56 PM »
Cheers for the comments guys ...... thought I was imagining things here as he is adamant and is messaging me telling me I'm ripping him off !?!?!?

2017 :-  Hammered x 10, Milled silver x 18, Roman Brooch x 1, Saxon stirrup mount x 1, silver thimble x 1

kerr

• Dig Attendee
  • There can be only Wan
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »
Quite clearly a different coin as the one you thought you were getting they are holding a staff and the the one you got there is no staff... O0
Minelab Safari
X-pointer wader Li

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
Not good Brian, hope you get it sorted.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:03:33 PM »
Start a dispute with eBay, that's 100% NOT the coin advertised.
4 coin hoards.

Sinky

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 05:25:21 AM »
Start a dispute with eBay, that's 100% NOT the coin advertised.

Opened a return request to start with but can't open a dispute  / escalate the dispute until the 8th. I will make sure that I do that as soon as possible on the 8th as trying to deal with character via messages is a complete nightmare !

Xcav80R

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 07:57:10 AM »
Definitely  not the same coin mate, you will get you're money back for sure.

NiceNicNac

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »
Did you use PayPal to pay? If you did you can open a dispute which the seller has to resolve. If they don't resolve it, PayPal will get the money back for you.

Bounty Hunter

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • To find the past you have to loss the present.
    • Went and forgot ma probe.
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
Sorry to hear that Sinky ,the coin in the picture is a completely different coin altogether, the coin in the picture is VF to Ef grade and the coin they have deliberately sent you is about FAIR  TO GOOD condition, and worth a great deal less than the one that you paid for. I luckily havent had any bad issues with ebay coins as yet lol. You will get your money back in the end as Ebay 99% of the time side with the purchaser. I would send the cion back recorded delivery to prove ive sent it, or even not at all and just say that you did,as you will get your money back once the time expires anyway. The seller will probabaly say that he has not recived the coin just to be on the nasty side anyway to slow down or delay your refund. Its up to you Sink but I know what I would be doing lol.
BW Gerard.
When detecting always expect the unexpected, if in doubt, prepare to be disappointed, then dig it.If you don't know what a coin is chances are it's not that common and could be worth more than you think.Minelab X-Terra 70,Explorer XS.CSCOPE Newforce R1 ,X-Terra 30,Tesoro Hawkeye.Ace250,TrackerIV,GM4

Molly1

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
Your pic is much better than the sellers which is quite blurred but even I can see it is not the same coin, and that's only counting the pips round the inner edge.
Go with the dispute, return the coin (as I would certainly expect you to do with the moral standards you display on this forum :) ) and you'll get your money back.
Good luck :)
My lovely Minelab X-Terra 705 :-)
Garrett Ace 250
Makro Pointer

Sinky

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »
Just an update to let you know what the latest is  :D EBay decided in my favour - no real surprise and have asked me to return the coin. I've printed off the pre paid label which I assume my seller friend will be charged for. Once he receives the return I will get a full refund which is all I asked him for in the first place.
I only see one more possible issue and that is if he doesn't accept delivery when it arrives ? should this happen then I would need to contact EBay again to sort it out.
Given his stance and abusive nature of his messages I'm thinking this is the likely outcome  :(

Why can't people just do the right thing is beyond me although I do get that he may not have been happy with the final bid price so tried to palm me off with a poor alternative !!

I'm well aware of eBay rules / policy so his attempt to palm me off will ultimately fail and I will ensure that appropriate feedback is left when it's over  :D

Sinky

• Dig Attendee
Re: Beware buying coins from Ebay ** UPDATE**
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
Well Ebay decided in my favour and I did as they asked. The seller took delivery today and is still being abusive --- part of the message he sent me :-

" i will be up your way soon "

Very kind of him to let me know his travel plans ( a 6oo mile round trip from Birmingham ) and hope he enjoys his holiday in Scotland. Needless to say that I didn't invite him for tea and a biscuit or reply in kind.

I just don't get the mentality !? it was him trying to rip me off and because I went through Ebay's protocol he's resorted to veiled threats.  ??? 

Hoops McCann

Re: Beware buying coins from Ebay ** UPDATE**
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 09:47:06 PM »
Have you given feedback yet? I think most people when they catch dodgy sellers and get their money back give neutral feedback when they know it really should be negative. Good that you got your money back.