May 23, 2019, 12:31:24 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » A QUESTION REGARDING UPLOADING PHOTOS ONTO DETECTINGSCOTLAND

Author Topic: A QUESTION REGARDING UPLOADING PHOTOS ONTO DETECTINGSCOTLAND  (Read 1631 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Hi all

Right, with Photobucket deciding to use extortion basically holding people photos to ransom I'm looking to find ways of making it easier for you guys to safely put your photos on the forum without the risk of losing them.

Photobuckets actions without warning are particularly sad as on numerous forums and blogs pictures and information has been lost forever as many of the authors/uploaders are sadly no longer with us.

I would urge ALL Photobucket users to harvest all of your photobuckets images to an external drive or back up disc before you lose them and are held to ransom.
Some people can still use their accounts normally but for how long?
I would also urge ALL Photobucket account holders to flood them with complaints and NOT AGREE TO PAY ANYTHING TO THEM.
I've already complained and gave them grief on twitter lol

There is still a free photo hosting site out there called Imgur but you never know they may suddenly want £400 a year from you and history repeats itself!

As most of you are aware there is a add attachments or images link when your writing a post just underneath the main body of it however it's limited to 300k per image which is a piddling amount in 2017 and certainly not enough for any sort of Smartphone image so I'm looking at making the photo uploader system allow the upload of larger images.

The trouble with raising the photo upload size is the full memory of the photo is then held on our server rather than a link to make it appear on the forum but the memory is held at the other site, we don't have a massive amount of capacity left at present and we are already on a business package as we kept burning through our storage space in the past having to upgrade twice in a year at one point.

At the time it wasn't really a big deal as digs were doing well (we made a net loss in 2 of the last 3 digs) and Adverts on the site bringing in a few pence with each click would mount up over some months which offset the annual bill but now adverts are only making a 1/5 of what they did 18 months ago it's not going to be too easy. Some people use adblocking software even though I've NEVER allowed pop ups or interruption ads and very few can be bothered to click the ads even though it costs nothing so that can't be relied on.

If I can up the maximum memory size to something a bit better we will still have to resize images from smart phones etc as they are several Mb each!

Software such as formati11 if still around was a free and easy way or cropping and resizing images to post on forums for a fair few years, I used it exclusively when I was posting on the fishing site maggotdrowning throughout the noughties.

So the question is if I'm willing to open up the server to full memory photos etc and see the bill rise sharply are you the members willing to dispense with the ad locker programmes and click on an ad each time you upload a photo?  ??? You don't need to sit and read the ad just click and it opens in a separate page, you then go right back to the page your on and pay no heed to the advert.

Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Re: A QUESTION REGARDING UPLOADING PHOTOS ONTO DETECTINGSCOTLAND
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:20:48 PM »
Test picture upload of a screenshot taken on an IPhone 7
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:58:31 PM by Grant »
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Kyt2016

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:27:11 PM »
Grant is there a way you can control ads on the forum? I'd have no problem clicking ads and funding server costs if they ads weren't dating sites and lovehoney, these certainly aren't appearing due to my browsing history, that may be the case for others  ;D but not mine, I clear my cookies regularly  :P
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:42:36 PM by Kyt2016 »

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:02:56 AM »
Grant is there a way you can control ads on the forum? I'd have no problem clicking ads and funding server costs if they ads weren't dating sites and lovehoney, these certainly aren't appearing due to my browsing history, that may be the case for others  ;D but not mine, I clear my cookies regularly  :P

I have absolutely 0 control over what ads you see, suppose you were in Tesco today and your phone on their wifi, you could then get targeted ads on subjects searched through that IP that same day so it's not just if someone accessed similar from your home IP and certainly not just linked to the searches you did with your phone.

Because of my interests the ads it shows me are coins, shooting and things to do with chickens lol but when I've been using free wifi somewhere or other I sometimes get dating nonsense too.

There are a few on the site that never change for van signs and magnetic signs amongst others

Kyt2016

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 12:19:52 AM »
I hear you but at the moment I've currently got 2 of the exact same dating site ads down the left hand side and before there was an ad for gym equipment, none of which will ever have been looked at on my Ip, well I hope not lol, and I've seen similar comments from a few on here when the topic on ads was discussed previously. It doesn't bother me seeing them but obviously not being able to click on any is a pain in the ass if its the same for others also. Have you tried ProBoards?

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »
I don't see the problem if you have "paint" on your PC , right click on the photo and click "open with" then click "paint",
now in paint at the top left click on "resize" and change the 100 in the horizontal box to 15 (this is on photos from my phone and if I remember correctly needs changing for photos from my camera) and then click "ok", if the size looks too big or small click the blue undo arrow at the top of the page and try a different number, once you are happy with the size then click on "file" and save or if you want to keep the original photo save as.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:47:10 AM by budge1 »
45%, Cheated not defeated.

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »
I use an app called minima.. seems to work fine on here

dash

• Dig Attendee
    • You Tube Videos
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
Theres a few photshop type freebies out their were you can amend and downsize your pics for free
7 x Milled Silver
1 x Hammered John "Wiltshire"
1 Stater "Wiltshire"
1 x Complete Croatal Bell
1 x Silver anything but Coinage

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
I use Picassa (free) to organise my photos on the hard drive and to resize my photos I use Picresize (also free).  Picresize in particular is very good.  Someone said recently that Picassa may not now be available to download.  Think it's owned by Google.  Using these I have never had any trouble puting photos onto DS.
Howard.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 11:08:28 PM »
I've raised the image size from 300kb to 50,000kb (50mb)

An ad a day keep bankruptcy at bay   ;D

Clicking an ad when you upload photos is hopefully not too
Much to ask  ???

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »
WOW!  Clickety boo ...

Bob.

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 12:47:37 AM »
Wow!!!

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 12:49:57 AM »
Sorry but had to give it a go ;D ;D ;D and clicked on two adds. :police:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:51:33 AM by budge1 »

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Testing (ring found at brechin dig) I promise ill click on the durty russian ladies 😂👍
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty