October 16, 2019, 08:51:06 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » Newsflash

Author Topic: Newsflash  (Read 2947 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
Newsflash
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »
When I took over DS 4 1/2 years ago just after 'Bangate'when it was in an even worse state than now! 4-6 people online everyone at Ts or Robs lol

And with help from various staff members through time made it the premier site.

However in recent times I've not had the time to spend all day on a Sunday enjoying a dig, I assumed that even if I couldn't spend the day at least if we got a dig organised and everyone digging then it was better than not bothering at all! Seems i was wrong, so if I can't stay all day no-one wants to dig?? Amazed it's all about me  ???

My fiancée works pretty much 12 hour shifts every day except Sunday and rather than stay in bed Sunday morn have a cooked breakfast and relax I'm up early and off to Perth Stirling etc etc but I always assumed it'd be appreciated as we got something organised....

So apart from the problems with my spinal injury and tennis elbow limiting my detecting time there's also domestic things...

The first question she asks in the morning when I'm getting dressed is "what time will you be back" so I found myself telling her I'd be back early so we could still do something together on her one day off. If this makes me a bad guy then I apologise and take it on the chin.

It has never been about money, as I've said in the past if people don't really want it arent bothered about attending I don't mind not organising any as I am pretty busy at the weekends now. DS was never intended to be a digs organiser site, it's an online forum some seem to not grasp that no matter how many times it's pointed out or we'd be called 'detecting Scotland Digs'

People say they want choice yet last time I said I'd stand down if anyone wanted to buy the site the only person who wanted to buy it was another digs organiser who I didn't deal with as it'd take away your CHOICE....silly me

We will always go through staff, believe me after a couple of years of being unappreciated by many, unable to please many more and damned if you do and damned if you don't you'd want a break too , I know I do!!

Back when I thought I could run DS better than the person down south who owned it, I put my money where my mouth is and bought it to run and improve.

If anyone thinks they can do better get in touch by pm or email

It's put up or shut up time while the empty vessels make the noise.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:21:31 PM by Grant »
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
Re: Newsflash
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »
Shame on us all, if the digs had been good with lots of good finds no one would have given a Oi! no swearing (F.U.C.K) if Grand was there or not.
I am a lucky guy as I have Billy as a detecting buddy (with loads of land) and have only been going to digs that Billy has got the land for, admittedly some have been shit (sorry Billy) but he has tried his best to get good ground for us but nothing is guaranteed when we go detecting, Grant, you have let the forum go a bit and I think you should have a mod just to keep an eye on the site and keep everything up to date,  you do have a life outside of DS and I wish you well with your forthcoming wedding. I can't say what DS was like before you took it over as I have only been detecting for about 4 years. Good luck to us all where ever we detect.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:25:47 PM by budge1 »
45%, Cheated not defeated.

budge1

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
Ps, thank you Billy and all the land finders past, present and future for all your hard work.
45%, Cheated not defeated.

fdefano

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
I go to a dig because it is very worthwhile, You and the DS staff do an excellent Job, you cant foresee what is under the ground ,
I for one pay to dig whether you dig or not , you and the team are supplying a brilliant service, finding land is not easy ,I cant always make the digs due to work commitments but when I do I enjoy them,so I hope that you and the team carry on your hard work on behalf of us all,and I thank you all for what you have done.
HH

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »
Shame on us all, if the digs had been good with lots of good finds no one would have given a Oi! no swearing (F.U.C.K) if Grand was there or not.
I am a lucky guy as I have Billy as a detecting buddy (with lodes of land) and have only been going to digs that Billy has got the land for, admittedly some have been shit (sorry Billy) but he has tried his best to get good ground for us but nothing is guaranteed when we go detecting, Grant, you have let the forum go a bit and I think you should have a mod just to keep an eye on the site and keep everything up to date,  you do have a life outside of DS and I wish you well with your forthcoming wedding. I can't say what DS was like before you took it over as I have only been detecting for about 4 years. Good luck to us all where ever we detect.

Your right mate, since we bought this place I've not put the massive amounts of time into the forum I used to. I knew when we got this place there would be tons of work and I wasn't wrong, you know the state of much of it when we got it as you had to deal with the kitchen lol

For long periods it was painting and scraping wallpaper from dawn to late and it's still not finished and I feel like it never will be!

With the hours Marta works she comes home and rightly expects to see sufficient progress not excuses like I had to sit on my laptop for hours doing the forum but the forum is my responsibility so yes I have failed there. Then on Sunday when she finally has a day off I'm off "enjoying myself" in her eyes as she wants to spend time with me and yes I've tried numerous times to get her interested in the hobby but she's a total girly girl and doesn't like to get dirt.

When it reverted back to just me from being myself and mark It never entered my head that I'd have such a large place to renovate the plan was to quit my job and full time run the digs and the site and see where that took me and yet it's referred to as 'greed' if I arrange or delegate running a dig and leave early... I also never realised  that I'd neglect not only the forum but my friends, family hobbies and health. It was through friends and Marta worrying I was packed off to France for a week fishing and to be fair after moping around the first two days I did start to enjoy the rest but we all know what happens when I go away.....

I truly believe some people think I should be online 24 hours a day though 7 days a week and answer all queries questions and emails instantaneously because I've nothing better to do.

When I first took over it was to build not neglect but over the last year life started to get in the way, and although it sounds like bolting the barn door after the horse has bolted I had recently come to a realisation that rather than burying my head and was putting things in place to return to giving things the attention they deserve.

So where to go from now, firstly I apologise unreservedly to anyone who has been unhappy or I satisfied with the admitted decline in standards both on the forum and in my not spending more time detecting with people if they have taken the time to come to a dig if that's why they attended.

If DS is to be under new stewardship new bro and all that then he/she/they would get my full support and assistance till not needed.

If that doesn't happen then we will no longer offer weekly digs as I think as has been demonstrated north of the border these ideas though nice were unrealistic if the actual quality of land is to be sufficiently high, that said we have never had a dig on land we didn't think had potential.

Digs would be maybe 2 per month tops subject to interest.

Also I'd try to foster a culture of speaking about issues among the staff rather than waiting, gossiping  and saying nothing then throwing toys etc
We have been lucky enough to have some great staff in the last few years and we have had staff who didn't do much at all but one thing I would have liked if ALL  was honesty, by that I mean if there's an issue ask and discuss not go off half cocked on wrong information but hey at the end of the day I chose all staff since 2012 so ultimately that's my fault too.

So basically I hold myself responsible for the recent decline and you have a choice to disappear or allow me the chance to get us back where we belong.

I welcome your feedback but any abuse or name calling won't be tolerated only reasoned calm debate on how DS can improve.
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:59:55 PM »
I go to a dig because it is very worthwhile, You and the DS staff do an excellent Job, you cant foresee what is under the ground ,
I for one pay to dig whether you dig or not , you and the team are supplying a brilliant service, finding land is not easy ,I cant always make the digs due to work commitments but when I do I enjoy them,so I hope that you and the team carry on your hard work on behalf of us all,and I thank you all for what you have done.
HH

You know stephen that's the way my mind worked but there's a minority's who aren't happy if I arrange things welcome them to the dig and don't detect myself, although I suspect this is an excuse to complain as it's not like I dig finds for them.

When I get a fishing permit or pay a green fee I don't have a strop if the bailiff doesn't fish with me or the club pro play with me, I accept they provided the service and I make my own enjoyment.

Running a dig is driving about knocking on doors A LOT, sending newsletters, updating threads and information where available, liasing with the landowner, final visits to check parking, getting the final list printed off getting there early to ensure any necessary signage etc is in place, making sure all parking is done properly and everyone briefed and warned as appropriate and set off onto the fields we have hired for the day to get you digging, then going to pay the landowner and any expenses to staff members ensuring there are staff members there to advise. If an organiser wishes to detect himself then he can, sadly it seems some think that if he doesn't detect then that's a problem which is logic I'll never understand however hard I try.

When we run a rally we would be quite busy and not get much time to actually detect ourselves no one complains then as long as they can bomb burst into their own personal quest.

In retrospect though if I'd known that some would get narked by me having other responsibilities and injuries that meant I couldn't stay long then maybe I'd have done things differently.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:01:27 PM by Grant »

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 07:23:37 PM »
A fullsome explanation which I'm sure will be welcomed and appreciated. Fair or not, it was needed to clear the air.

Lets hope things pick up from here...

Bob.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:42:50 PM by Uncle Bob »

Bounty Hunter

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • To find the past you have to loss the present.
    • Went and forgot ma probe.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »
Hello All
I just want to take this opportunity to say thanks and well done to Grant and everyone else who runs DS both now and in the past. I also think that everyone needs reminding that great field's and areas for detecting are getting harder to find all the time and it is only a bonus if we are lucky enough for DS to get us fields that produce the hammies and the goodies. It is impossible to get these kind of field's week in week out given one, the popularity of detecting and other clubs looking for the same as DS and two the good stuff is not getting any easier to find as it just gets deeper year on year ploughing or not. I have been detecting with DS for a long time now and I have to say that the guy's do a great job finding land and organising digs and events , it takes a lot of time and effort and when you have other commitments like we all do ,that can never be an easy task with all the c-ordinating, traveling and communicating that goes into organising any dig. I have said it before on here and I will say it again we are lucky to have DS here in Scotland and we are lucky to have so many digs given the many  different detrimental variables that will or will not effect a dig taking place and given the short window of opportunity we get in Scotland with our unpredictable weather.  I have met loads of decent folk over the years with DS and still do.So well done Grant and all the guys and gals as you are all  doing a great job and should be proud.  :D :D :D
BW Gerard ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:59:38 PM by Bounty Hunter »
When detecting always expect the unexpected, if in doubt, prepare to be disappointed, then dig it.If you don't know what a coin is chances are it's not that common and could be worth more than you think.Minelab X-Terra 70,Explorer XS.CSCOPE Newforce R1 ,X-Terra 30,Tesoro Hawkeye.Ace250,TrackerIV,GM4

Halfloaf

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »
I would also like to say a big thanks to Grant and the rest of the Staff and landfinders ..
I for one appreciate the time and effort and know only too well that Real Life gets in the way ..
Work and Family have kept me away from the digs for longer than i'd like , but i keep hoping to hit a dig when time allows , and to someone like me , who doesn't have any dig buddies near by , the likes of DS is sometimes (outwith Beaches) the only place that i can come dig .
Thanks again for the hard work guys .
Mike  AKA Halfloaf

Rikki

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 08:10:59 AM »
As someone who is fairly new to the activity I much appreciated the recent welcome and assistance I received both through the forum and at the rallies.  I would love to attend every week but my job involves a lot of driving and if the rally is a wee distance away then inevitably I may choose not to go or go to an alternative closer dig. 

The way we communicate has changed significantly in recent years and quite often people will email or post something on the spur of the moment without thinking in a manner that you would if you were sending a letter or speaking to someone face to face.  It's all too easy to make a remark purely because a situation causes you some inconvenience, and it's difficult to take back such a remark unless you personally apologise. 

I think you are doing an amazing job in running the forum and the digs.  I know how difficult it can be in just getting to talk to a farmer or landowner, never mind getting the person to agree to having people turn up on his land and leave holes in his fields.  Personally I feel that people's expectations nowadays can sometimes be too high due to the explosion of social media and consumer programs.  We are all human beings and none of us are perfect.  We are very lucky to have people like you who put in so much effort and give up so much time so that people like me can get though their mid life crisis without needing to buy an open top sports car.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
As someone who is fairly new to the activity I much appreciated the recent welcome and assistance I received both through the forum and at the rallies.  I would love to attend every week but my job involves a lot of driving and if the rally is a wee distance away then inevitably I may choose not to go or go to an alternative closer dig. 

The way we communicate has changed significantly in recent years and quite often people will email or post something on the spur of the moment without thinking in a manner that you would if you were sending a letter or speaking to someone face to face.  It's all too easy to make a remark purely because a situation causes you some inconvenience, and it's difficult to take back such a remark unless you personally apologise. 

I think you are doing an amazing job in running the forum and the digs.  I know how difficult it can be in just getting to talk to a farmer or landowner, never mind getting the person to agree to having people turn up on his land and leave holes in his fields.  Personally I feel that people's expectations nowadays can sometimes be too high due to the explosion of social media and consumer programs.  We are all human beings and none of us are perfect.  We are very lucky to have people like you who put in so much effort and give up so much time so that people like me can get though their mid life crisis without needing to buy an open top sports car.

Not smiled much today with one thing and another but your post made me smile Rikki  ;D tried to post this yesterday but the forum wouldn't let me  :o

admin

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 11:36:27 PM »
I think this post has said what needed to be said, and hopefully we can all move on from here in harmonious fashion. Onward and upwards only! LOCKED

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 03:12:56 PM »
Cheers Dave  :)