May 20, 2019, 04:02:28 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Share Your Knowledge Your Top 7 Ground Hunting Tips, Stacking the Odds

Author Topic: Share Your Knowledge Your Top 7 Ground Hunting Tips, Stacking the Odds  (Read 1764 times)

spectra

• Dig Attendee
  • its there , just go get it
 Here's the Idea for prospecting
what's the best Y got for detecting
May well help make a great find ,

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:16:07 AM by spectra »

spectra

• Dig Attendee
Re: Share Your Knowledge Your Top 7 Ground Hunting Tips, Stacking the Odds
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 03:51:28 AM »
  1. Tracks or Hedgelines merge ( older rounded bending  pre Vic preferred)
  2 Water at source (Spring  or Well )
  3. if poss Near to religious site or Gathering point (Inn ,  Dovecoate ) ect,
  4  Work a South West or  South East slope as   Earth is warmest for longer periods , (Most Sunshine  :)
  5   Clay in an area of Natural  Earth 👍 ,   Rich  Black    Soil ,   both are  worthy of Slow  Detecting ,
  6  Waterfalls or Natural pools
  7    If there's been a find in the past or present ,  there's usualy more in the area ,

ps . Expect To find no matter who says there's Nothing There 🙌
Google Earth must get a mention , make sure you tic Experimental Tools , rubbish Version of LiDar , but better than nothing , when Vewing past Imagary of Target area  going back usualy 15 years , plus  covarage of Scotland,  drought 1944  ( black and white )

tailgate

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 09:06:23 PM »
This is brilliant night classes for detecting for dummies i read in 1 post, facebook has killed off some forums
this doesn't have to be. Winter is long in Scotland why don't we all learn from the more experienced detectors and
beginners who have a wealth of knowledge and advice to pass on tips and tricks.
Why not share your experiences without giving away your fields location. Even some stupid funny things that has
happened to you.

spectra

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 10:07:42 PM »
 Coudnt  agree more ,  :) It's a Win  Win for all  :)

foundit

• Rising Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
Have a look at the National Library of Scotland digital maps, 6inch to the mile from 1843-1882, found a few sites of buildings long gone on a couple of permissions. The detail is amazing.

Alan

Bounty Hunter

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • To find the past you have to loss the present.
    • Went and forgot ma probe.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 10:25:17 AM »
 :) :) :)Well Done to you Spectra for posting those great tips, here is some of mine.
1. Always beware of Live stock in any field you enter. I had a total nightmare with a large heard of Bulls that were hearded around the other side of large hill in the middle of a field, so always remember just because you cant see any live stock at your end of the field where you enter it, doesn't mean to say there isn't any around the end you cant see as 9 times out of 10  field's have valleys, hills and bends where who knows what can be lurking.
2. Research everything from conversations with folk you come across walking their dogs when your detecting especially older people to nls maps, google earth, local historical forums, ramblers forums and old photo's and history books, older people are great to talk to  as the very often are happy to disclose to you  a vast wealth of knowledge of the history of the area your in, you would be very surprised at the great tips of 'where to look' I have picked up over the years from the 'unassuming dog walker' very often these people have had info passed onto them from 'old folk' when they themselves were young about old mills. old right of ways, big old houses and their out houses and summer houses where parties were held in the 18th century attended by only the wealthy.
3. Take your time and keep your detector as low as possible to the soil but always beware and keep your eyes open for bolders and bricks and big bits of wood as these can destroy any good search coil and that's your day goosed, also always try and take with you spare search coil plastic holding wing nuts and also bolt it screws onto as these can often snap with constant searching eventually. Always take some cable ties and tape with you as well as these  always come in handy along with spare batteries, there is nothing worse than your batteries going flat when your having a good day.
4.Never disregard a coin that looks to far gone and resembles just 'another old done in viccy copper' as I have had many a green and black copper looking con turning out to be an old silver shilling even hammered silver coins found in our acidic Scottish soil can look like old black and green blankers until you take time to examine their 3rd face 'the rim edge' of them to discover that excellent silver lining between the green and black layers an quick easy check is hold the coin on its side and give it a very gentle scrape on a brick or concrete surface you will know instantly then if it is copper or silver lurking under the corroded crust and is worth cleaning more or not.
5.The wet soil after the rain may be hellish and dirty to walk in and to look at however you will get more finds in wet soil than dry as your detectors frequency can penetrate a lot easier meaning deeper and quicker r recovery of items.
6. Always talk to the farmer who has gave you the permission as they can give you excellent knowledge of their land you will not find on the net or in a book and it is always good to keep in with them as you are using their feild's to enjoy your own hobby.
7. If you are out detecting and the rain comes on and you walk to shelter, always have a good hunt around the area you have went for shelter like under the old tree or behind that big old wall as you can bet your bottom dollar people have been sheltering there that exact same way as you for hundreds of years before you and this increases your chances of a good find tenfold.
8. Always look for slopes in fields as these could highly likely had witnessed horses bouncing down in years gone back with riders on top of them bouncing as well with coins flying out their pockets, as it was mainly only the wealthy who rode about on their own land and estate field's back in the day.
9 .When you go to a detecting dig or rally don't fly off the starting line like a jockey pulling out in the Derby with the rest of' 'the riders' slow down and take your time as many a good coin has been found where the cars are parked.
10. Always prepare to be disappointed and always expect the unexpected, and if you don't recognise something when you dig it chances are you have never saw it before as it is from another era entirely and could be worth a lot more than the scrap you first took it for.
Always do your best to enjoy yourself ,life's too short as it wont be too long before someone in the future is out looking for the coins you and all your friends you know now have dropped along the way..., I wonder what kind of machines they'll be using ..lol ;) ;)
All the best Guys and of course Galls.
BW Gerard.aka Bounty Hunter.
When detecting always expect the unexpected, if in doubt, prepare to be disappointed, then dig it.If you don't know what a coin is chances are it's not that common and could be worth more than you think.Minelab X-Terra 70,Explorer XS.CSCOPE Newforce R1 ,X-Terra 30,Tesoro Hawkeye.Ace250,TrackerIV,GM4

diggit65

• Dig Attendee
  • Team T2
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
Very good tips Bounty Hunter,really enjoyed reading your post :D
Teknetics T2 classic green
2016 hammies x 1(cut half)
2015 hammies x 5 , 1 x roman headstud brooch

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
  • Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »
1). Buy a pinpointer! They are not cheap and after laying out for your detector you might balk at the idea of spending another £50 to £100 - but the pay back is very rapid. On one of my first DS digs, up near Scone, a goon number of hammered silvers were found in a particular spot. I joined the throng and got a great signal. I then spent 20 mins digging an ever larger hole trying to find the coin. I never did find it, even though I coud still hear the signal with my detector. I eventually gave up because I was embarrassed at the size of the hole I was making!

2). Hammered silvers can be very small - keep looking if you have a nice signal, and ---- use a pinpointer!

3). If your field is full of rubbish - or giving no signals at all - consider moving on. I'm not sure about this one but there have been times when I have been on grren waste sites and it is not a lot of fun. Moving on at least opens up the possibility for a more productive day.

4). Wrap up warm! I gets bloody cold on a wet winter's day.

5). Stick to fields when possible. On a number of occasions I have detected on really bad terrain just because the old maps suggested there might be something there. The problem is that wading through 12 inches of mud, stinky water and heather soon takes the shine off the day - and I suspect the in the past people would have avoided these areas too.

6).  Look for magpies - they hoard old gold coins in their nests apparently!

7). Remember that your headphones are attached to your detector (unless you have fancy wireless ones). I have lost count of the times I have put my detector down and accidentally yanked my headphones off in to a muddy hole!

Muddy

XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!

tamhem1

• Rising Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »
some great tips , from all the guys above , cant add a lot only to say that a lot of my detecting is on beaches , one of the best things I got was a light harness , although my detector has waterproof covers I don't want to lie it down on a wet beach or even a wet or muddy pasture field , the harness keeps the detector upright whilst I dig, another thing is don't disregard the higher beach areas too many detectorists head out on to the sand nearer the low tide mark ,some of my best finds have come from nearer the high tide mark , don't give up on an area after one excursion , big tides and storms can change the shape of beach areas uncovering areas of clay , stones, sandstone , all good holding areas, try the areas in winter after big tides , also as said above be careful in amongst rocky areas with your coil , move slower it will produce better results , don't be afraid to move rocks or use your pinpointer under rocks to get into gulleys and hard to get areas , you will be surprised what you may find , good points made above about map sites but look out for place names when visiting areas , pier road or jetty rd , there may not be a pier or jetty there now but NLS maps may show ones from a hundred years past , another one is use google images , type in the beach or sea front  or loch areas and look for old black and white photos , it may come up with some areas of interest , bathing areas,  paths , and how the areas would have looked back then ,think most other things have been covered by the guys above  , any more adds ons, to this post  welcome , cheers tam

spectra

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 09:21:41 PM »
  Enjoyed the Read   Thanks   All  ,  Tec food for the Brain  :)
    As for the Warning on Cows or young  Bulls in a Herd it's the closest I've came to Death , it's amazing how little your detector matters when  you can't run no more   And they are a foot or so behind you comin down a hill   :D Solution was jump of a cliff ,   I did an I'm here to post 🙌

The other one that struck a cord and right enough with a caveat. Was if there's no signals leave the field I've spoke to a few Hoard finders over the years and a common denominator seems to be there wasn't much if anything in the field 🙌

Been a while since Detecting Beaches     Enjoyed the Read   Might Give Troon a Bash over the New Year , Old Frank  forgot his username  had a good few Rings out a there  , Think he used a pile of old Post cards for Targeting Areas
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:26:52 AM by spectra »

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 12:42:37 PM »
Apologies if this point has already been mentioned.  Been detecting for 40 years and thought I knew it all. I remember about 4 years ago Jim Ingram said something to me that now seems  obvious but at the time it had never occurred to me.  (Thanks Jim by the way).

You get a good signal.  Dig down and the signal disappears.  Keep in mind that if it's a coin then it could have been lying horizontally but when you have disturbed the soil, the coin has then moved and is now lying at the bottom of the hole but lying vertically so the area of coin for your machine to "see" is now tiny.  In other words the find is still there, just be patient.  It can even be out of the hole but lying at a less "seeable" angle.
Howard.

tailgate

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 08:52:23 PM »
These are brilliant posts from people who have decided to share their funny/experience honest posts.
A lot of this might seem obvious to a lot of people, But to the new and inexperienced detectorist this is what
they want from a club. I have gone out with steelies on but only because i have lived my life in them.
Now i know better these tips are invaluable and funny but educational it would be nice if more people would
share their detecting stories.