August 19, 2019, 06:11:43 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » DS1907 Shotts/Salsburgh dig today 24th Feb some photos

Author Topic: DS1907 Shotts/Salsburgh dig today 24th Feb some photos  (Read 1399 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
DS1907 Shotts/Salsburgh dig today 24th Feb some photos
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »
Many thanks to this who came along today, here are some photos I managed to take. Apologies I’ve I didn’t get a photo of anyone’s finds  :)

Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Sland

Re: DS1907 Shotts/Salsburgh dig today 24th Feb some photos
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:16:54 PM »
I really enjoyed my first ever detecting outing today.

I found an Early Neolithic Irn-Bru can, the silver foil from a chocolate bar (probably late 13th Century) and a James 3rd brass rivet from a pair of jeans.

On a more serious note, I really appreciate the effort that people are making to find fields for us to sweep.  It must take a lot of time out of their days so, from me, thanks very much.

See you next week at Meigle!
Mike
Edinburgh
Garret Ace 400i
CTX 3030

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
Well done all the lucky finders the queen Ann is nice.

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
Well done all ! wish I could have made it  ::)
Alba Gu Bra'th

Greendave

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »
Well done guys, see nice finds there.

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 08:52:36 PM »
 Ooh some lovely finds, well done all! 😀👍
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Firefly73

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »
Wow, well done everyone. My first dig today also. Not much in the way of finds but gained a bit of much needed experience and I really enjoyed it. Great weather and lovely people. Thank you.

Sland

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 09:02:46 PM »
Wow, well done everyone. My first dig today also. Not much in the way of finds but gained a bit of much needed experience and I really enjoyed it. Great weather and lovely people. Thank you.
Asking as a fellow newbie, did you find you took quite a while to "understand" the field?  I felt that it took about 1.5 hours to realise that all the detections at a certain response level was down to "junk".  Looking to learn!
Mike
Edinburgh
Garret Ace 400i
CTX 3030

Mr WhiteLab

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 10:29:27 AM »
Brilliant finds. Wish I could have been at this one.  Can anyone tell me what photo 5 & 6 are as I found something similar on one my own permissions a few months back but in nowhere as good condition as this one.  Also, I fully agree with Shand about the people finding land for us to detect on. Well done. Thanks

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
Mike, it was good to speak with you yesterday (I was parked in front of you).   Did you find the field had loads of coke?  My detector is an XP Deus and it loves coke although with some of its programs you can identify it with 75% accuracy.  I think your Garrett will fall into the same category so I imagine you would have been digging lots of coke yesterday?  Minelabs are good for being able to ignore coke and not give a signal at all.
Howard.

afgingram

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 11:54:48 AM »
Mike, it was good to speak with you yesterday (I was parked in front of you).   Did you find the field had loads of coke?  My detector is an XP Deus and it loves coke although with some of its programs you can identify it with 75% accuracy.  I think your Garrett will fall into the same category so I imagine you would have been digging lots of coke yesterday?  Minelabs are good for being able to ignore coke and not give a signal at all.
Howard.
.  It’s not based on detector make or brand. It’s down to the fact that single frequency machines can’t filter the signal that coke gives. Any multi frequency detector can identify the response of coke. Very occasionally large or really wet pieces of coke will show up on a FBS  or multi frequency detector as a very low response much like a small piece of foil.
The fat pied piper of Basra

TimChilli

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 12:05:13 PM »
The XY axis option screen (as opposed to the standard horseshoe display) on the Deus is really good at showing coke as a straight line. I was going coco-loco until I discovered it.

Really enjoyed yesterday's dig - thanks for organising it.

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 12:13:34 PM »
Belters all. Love the Ludo 4 sol!  Really well dug!  :D

feelau

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 01:08:56 PM »
I had a fab day yesterday, was nice to catch up with folks and to meet some new people.  I was quite pleased with what I found yesterday, the Queen Anne, Cartwheel penny, a trade token of some sort, 3 or 4 coppers, part of a brooch, musket ball and other bits and bobs (I need to check my finds bag properly as I was too tired to check last night lol).

With regards to learning, I found in the beginning I dug everything I thought was a signal, that way you will get to know what sounds and signals your machine gives for each type of thing.  There was a fair amount of coke in that field, which I can tell mostly with my T2, sometimes it gives a cracking signal and you just have to dig though.  Good luck to you all and hopefully see you all again soon  :D
Plenty enthusiasm, plenty rubbish and lots of bits and pieces
Gold Roman Coin

Sland

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 07:46:26 PM »
Howard.
Hi Howard, thanks for taking the time to chat, it makes a newbie feel very welcome.  Yes, I was finding a lot of coke which was giving good signals.  Using the pinpointing facility on the Garrett I eventually realised that it tended to give a rather elliptical response rather than a pinpoint one which lead to me digging less (wonder what I missed?) :)
Mike
Edinburgh
Garret Ace 400i
CTX 3030