March 26, 2019, 09:09:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Research & Books » Historical and site research » Romans in Scotland

Author Topic: Romans in Scotland  (Read 195 times)

TimChilli

Romans in Scotland
« on: March 06, 2019, 02:51:29 PM »
Apologies if this has been talked to death, but a few people I've spoken to recently have said that Roman coins/artefacts are like hen's teeth in Scotland. I wondered if this is true, despite the prominence of the Antonine Wall and related marching stations/forts.

I appreciate the Roman occupation of Scotland was relatively short, but is your experience that Roman finds just don't come to the surface that often - even near the sites of occupation/garrison?

I would've thought that there'd be lots of finds at Roman forts and neighbouring vicus but people who've detected near these areas tell me they rarely find anything.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
Re: Romans in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
I detect a farm with the wall running right through it and have never found anything roman in all the years I have been doing it  :(
Alba Gu Bra'th

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 04:03:36 PM »
Have found more roman silvers in Scotland than I have England

briser_fae_the_broch

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 04:16:55 PM »
There was an excellent documentary on last night about this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p66rv/scotland-romes-final-frontier
It showed all the finds, locations, hoards, forts, encampments and told of Battle sites etc.

Well worth watching.
You dig?

Another one taken over by the Nox!

TimChilli

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 04:38:45 PM »
Have found more roman silvers in Scotland than I have England
Were these finds near site of historical significance or near to known Roman settlements?

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • minelab e-trac
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:14:04 PM »
I have found 4 silver denaris in Scotland and only 1 was anywhere near roman activity

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Chances are very slim to hit anything Roman, I've got multiple sites near/on various Roman remains and have never even seen anything from that time period.

England had settlement whereas Scotland had mainly military stations so we don't have the same variety of goods that would be associated with day to day living
4 coin hoards.

TimChilli

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
There was an excellent documentary on last night about this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01p66rv/scotland-romes-final-frontier
It showed all the finds, locations, hoards, forts, encampments and told of Battle sites etc.

Well worth watching.

Watched it after I read your post, Briser - great documentary. That Roman silver hoard discovered on the pig farm looked incredible. Can only imagine the feeling of uncovering that.