April 23, 2019, 11:27:46 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » Finds from Culross, 7th April

Author Topic: Finds from Culross, 7th April  (Read 427 times)

sasquatch

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
Finds from Culross, 7th April
« on: April 07, 2019, 04:01:29 PM »
Thanks for a great dig - been a while, nice to see some old faces and some new ones too. Nice easy walking and digging despite the cold, plenty signals between the interference. Eilidh had a brilliant time on her first dig detecting but unsurprising the cold got the better of her by lunchtime, but delighted making a couple of finds herself. I ended up with 2 bits of silver - a  wee bit which clutching at straws could be a fragment of a merk - hard to see in photos but I'm sure there is a faint corner of a shield shape. The other bit is paper thin and shaped into a pocket, some sort of chape?

Greendave

• Dig Attendee
Re: Finds from Culross, 7th April
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
Couple of nice finds there buddy, well done..😁

TimChilli

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »
Popped my hammered cherry today!

Thanks for Jim the GasMan & Stuart for identifying it as an Alexander III penny, Berwick mint, circa 1250. Obverse is worn away, unfortunately.

Also found a number of Turners, buttons, a knackered thimble, two George V coins and a brooch with heraldic shield and its pin intact
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:12:22 AM by TimChilli »

sasquatch

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 06:23:12 PM »
Congratulations! I heard about it but had left by that point I'm afraid, would have been great to see.  One you will always remember!

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 08:03:02 PM »
Thanks for a great dig - been a while, nice to see some old faces and some new ones too. Nice easy walking and digging despite the cold, plenty signals between the interference. Eilidh had a brilliant time on her first dig detecting but unsurprising the cold got the better of her by lunchtime, but delighted making a couple of finds herself. I ended up with 2 bits of silver - a  wee bit which clutching at straws could be a fragment of a merk - hard to see in photos but I'm sure there is a faint corner of a shield shape. The other bit is paper thin and shaped into a pocket, some sort of chape?

A fair bit of digging then, well done on the silver. Glad Eilidh enjoyed the day.

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 08:09:57 PM »
Popped my hammered cherry today!

Thanks for Jim the GasMan & Stuart for identifying it as an Alexander III penny, Berwick mint, circa 1249. Obverse is worn away, unfortunately.

Also found a number of Turners, buttons, a knackered thimble, two George V coins and a brooch with heraldic shield and its pin intact

That is a  a lot of targets , well done.
For clarification you thought that coin was a turner I merely wiped away some dirt and notified you it was a hammered coin  your face was a picture.
Stuart done the real identification. You will always remember the first hammy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 08:18:01 PM by gasman »

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »
My finds for today three worn turners, a faceless halfpenny, the usual dross and lead. Best find was a 1921 sixpence donated to Eilidh for braving the cold she was well pleased.

sasquatch

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
My finds for today three worn turners, a faceless halfpenny, the usual dross and lead. Best find was a 1921 sixpence donated to Eilidh for braving the cold she was well pleased.

That really made her day, thanks again  :D

bagolead (Life Member)

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • Wash it before you bin it, cos you never know!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2019, 10:17:05 PM »
Well done on getting your first Hammered. Your face was a picture when told what the coin was. Hope you get many more in the future.

AJS67

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »
Well done on your first hammy .. and a Scottish to boot ! Good day's digging all round .. pity about EMI but still managed 13 turners .. bit of history on that field in the 1600's for sure .

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 11:24:17 AM »
Well done with finding your first hamered silver coin.  We don't find too many Scottish hammered coins so it's a good one to start with.
Howard.

Mudplugger

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 10:35:35 PM »
Well done with the Hammy.  My finds all poor quality - George ll halfpenny, 5 Turners, five buttons one of which is a Livery type with Griffin holding axe under a crown.  Also one musket ball with sprue still attached.  Many small pieces of oxidised lead and the usual mastitis tubes. I enjoyed my day and feels good to be back hoovering the fields and I'm looking forward to next weekend. ;D

Nokta Fors Relic
C-Scope CS1220XD
Techpoint pinpointer

madmanandy27

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 02:45:56 PM »
well done on the hammy :)