May 20, 2019, 06:22:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Rallies Scotland,England,Wales, N I » 2018 Detecting Scotland Digs (Moderator: afgingram) » 28th April Dig Report from a novice

Author Topic: 28th April Dig Report from a novice  (Read 359 times)

Slow Giles

28th April Dig Report from a novice
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »
Thought I would start writing up my days out, as most of you have been doing it for ages and probably can’t remember what it’s like to be a novice at this.
Today, the adventure was all about getting to the dig, rather than the actual dig.
Had the works car all week, so it was back to my own car for the weekend, which I decided to come down to the dig in, rather than the campervan.
Left Aberdeen at 6am, stopping off at the services just south of Dundee to fill up with fuel even though I had enough to get to the dig. I stood there at the pump, watching the price and litres tick over thinking, “my word, fuel prices must have come down”…….
Went in and paid for the fuel and got a Costa coffee for the next part of the drive, knowing I was well ahead and would arrive around 30 mins early, so no need to rush.
Then 3 miles down the road, It dawned on me, the reason fuel was so cheap, was that I had filled up with unleaded, when the car takes Diesel, DOH…..
So the car started spluttering and managed to pull in by “The Horn” café and called the AA. Not a problem, pay us £190 now and we will be with you between 60 and 90 mins. But once you have paid, you are committed to using us to resolve the issue. £190 and 5 mins later, they “fuel recovery department” called me, to let me know, there was an issue and they would not be able to get to me until between 11am heading towards lunchtime. Now, I had run them at 07:30, so even a thicko that puts the wrong fuel in their car could work out that was more like 3 ½ to 4 hours later. Called them back, and they said they will refund me on this occasion. How gracious I thought.
A quick search on the internet and another service was found who turned up with the hour and after taking all the fuel I had just put into the car, out of the car, gave me enough fuel to reach the dig and sent me on my way.
Finally got to the dig at 11am, without stopping for any fuel or anything come to that, to see the cars lined up and everyone out in the fields, swinging like mad. Having texted Grant to let him know my situation and no doubt letting him spend the morning chuckling over my fuel mishap, it was off into the fields.
This was only my second group dig and only my third week of metal detecting (so very much a novice), but having learnt so much last week, I was soon digging up rubbish, just slightly better quality rubbish than the previous week. I put this improvement down to last weeks tips and the books I have spent the week reading. Never have so many words been read to ensure the rusty bits would be a higher quality of rusty bits than the previous week.
Three coins for me this week. The first being a one pence piece, the second being so deteriorated, it could be just classified as a circular plate. The last coin of the week, was not a coin, but a Bovril token!
Before today, I never knew Bovril tokens existed, but now I have found one, I have decided I’m now an avid Bovril Token collector and will be reading up to bore those at work of its importance for the rest of the week.
I also got a few more tips today (mainly telling me I swing too slowly (the clue is in the name I thought), but I will speed up for next week. Not sure if this requires going to the gym, or to swing at such a pace that I can dead head daffodils at arms length!
Thanks to Grant for organising and the rest of you for the tips and advice. Just make sure you are wearing your shin pads next week, as my detector head might be going so fast it will be a blur and liable to cause injury to anyone that gets to close!
Slow Giles

P.S. If someone can tell me how to post pictures, i will add in a group picture of my Bovril collection  :D :D
If everyone treated others how they would like to be treated themselves, the world will be a better place.

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
Re: 28th April Dig Report from a novice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »
Well done for persistence and getting to the dig after your mishap. On the detecting,  it's a learning curve that we have all been there once. I was the one who said you need to speed up I normally tell people to slow down.😂 Bruno.

Sword@Sceptre

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
Well done, what a day for you, I think I would have headed home, after getting the car fixed.

Bill

woodwynd

• Dig Attendee
  • explorer se pro Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett Carrot
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 09:09:03 PM »
good read, at least you made the dig  ::)
bruno only told you to swing faster as you were getting all the bovril tokens  ;D ;D
well dug :) :) ;)
whenever i complained about an ailment growing up my mother used to say "if it's no yer erse it's yer elba" theres compassion for you! ;D ;D
silver race
2018 Alan 39 Norry 29 Sammy 7
2017 Alan 45  Norry 25
2016 Norry 33 Alan 30

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »
What a horror story!  Sorry to hear that, but at least you did manage to get there and find some stuff. Well done mate - You've earned the Bovril Badge of Distinction for all your effort!

I wondered why I hadn't spotted you on the field!

PS - It should be easier next week...

briser_fae_the_broch

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
I made the same mistake calling the AA after my mrs did what you did to our diesel car - they charge way too much.  A local garage would probably have done it far cheaper.
Glad you eventually made it to the dig!
You dig?

Another one taken over by the Nox!

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 08:44:17 PM »
Ooft 😂 id have given up, well done on making to the dig 😊👍
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Bluetoon15

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
Allan

What a day you had on top of the long drive...

Seen your Bovril Token and googled it to see that there are several versions so you have token No 1 and 5 or more to go.... Happy Hunting.

It was good to speak to you as I was going from one field to the next and you were having a well earned coffee break.

Your Bovril Token beats my VAT 69 Miniature bottle..

Hope to speak again at the next dig when I can make it.... or before...

Tony
Tony
Peterhead
Garrett AT Pro International

Slow Giles

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »
Cheers for the tip Bruno, been practicing on the flowers this week.

Tony, took your advice as well, so new coil arrived today, in time for some weekend practice.

If everyone treated others how they would like to be treated themselves, the world will be a better place.

Bluetoon15

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 09:01:02 PM »
Good luck with the new coil....

I won't be able to make the next dig, Shotts, but it was at the Kirk of Shotts that I found my first and only hammered coin this year.

I wish I could be there but have to earn the pennies...

Keep me updated on what you find.

Tony
Tony
Peterhead
Garrett AT Pro International

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 03:44:48 PM »
Like your wee story keep writing them
Mate but no need to
Misfuel your car again  ;D
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)