May 20, 2019, 05:55:17 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detecting Stories » DS1916 Shotts Sunday Review by Slow Giles

Author Topic: DS1916 Shotts Sunday Review by Slow Giles  (Read 420 times)

Slow Giles

DS1916 Shotts Sunday Review by Slow Giles
« on: May 05, 2019, 07:02:48 PM »
I thought I would move my ramble to this location, which is probably where I should have put the last one.
Well, nearly a month of metal detecting and so after some advice last week, it was a new coil head today, a NEL Tornado, which taught me another new lesson in my detecting life. That being, don't coil the cable close to the head, as it gives interference. I should point out, I read that before going today, so it might have had something to do with my finds, that or the speed of my detector head movement was nearly up to the speed of an 80 year fast bowler at cricket.....
First of all, some bad news, the Bovril token collection still sits at one after today. I was very puzzled about this, so came back and did some research. Historically, it seems the Shott area of Glasgow is linked to a higher population of Vegans in the 1940's compared to the rest of the country.
Note to Grant - Can we go somewhere else next time, but only after you have done an internet search on the population to see if they are meat eaters or not!
Nice to see some faces that I remember from the last couple of weeks, and after a short pep talk from Grant, we were let loose into the fields of plenty, with three fields up for grabs.
Today, it was good news and bad news. Loads of responses, which was followed by loads of bottle tops, pull rings and the odd coin. I also got to play with the notch discrimination buttons on my detector in an effort to stop my bottle top collection requiring me hiring a trailer to take them all home with me! Only trouble is, at one point, out of 20 notches on my machine, i had nearly 18 of the switched off! This meant I did not have to dig any bottle tops for a while. In fact, i did not dig anything for a while, before deciding i should put some of them back on again.
By lunchtime, my tally was around 3 coins, 25 bottle tops, a nice selections of different coloured pull rings (really liked the gold coloured ones, NOT).
So, a cup of tea at the van, then off to the fabled bandstand field. Walking into the field, it certainly felt better, as i went at least 40 feet before getting my first pull ring, a really rare green one. But after that, the coin collection started picking up speed, with me actually getting to double figures. I should point out, unlike others I don’t discriminate, in fact, (I have been known to forget anyone’s names very easily), so until I reach the dizzy height of finding a coin that has a date on it before 1870, a coin is a coin!
My tally today?
2 x new 1p
2 x old ½ pennies (1956 to 1964)
3 x three pence (1947 to 1957)
1 x farthing I think
2 x old pennies (1902-1906)
3 x disk like items that you cannot read the date on
I also got a disk bigger than a new 50p, which I think it a pit tag for those going down the mines. It has 1, 6 and the third number is broken off, with a hole in the top to put it on a board or something.
A few other weird bits that I will look into his week. With all the excitement of the gold pull rings, I decided to call it a day and return to the van for a well earned cuppa.
On the way, bumped into (I’m shite at names, but if I say the dirtiest detector I have ever seen, you will probably know who it was 😊). This proved one thing, you don’t need a clean machine to find silver!!!!!
Back at the car park, find of the day, a metal detector with accessories!!!!!!
Now, I did consider.
If I dug a big hole and put it in, covered it up and then swept over the top with my detector, could I class it as a find?
10 seconds later, I realised, I would have probably got a good response, dug down, and found a bloody pull ring and sod all else!
Still, a few more names for me to forget this week (not on purpose I should point out). So next week, if you hear me shouting sister, then it would be Dave’s sister, or Dave’s wife’s sister, or any other female that is with Dave next week!
P.S. As for the found metal detector, dropping it off in Dunfermline on Monday as I drive back to Aberdeen.
Hope to see some of you next week, with my aim being to remember at least 3 names from this week!

Allan

If everyone treated others how they would like to be treated themselves, the world will be a better place.

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
Re: DS1916 Shotts Sunday Review by Slow Giles
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »
Great read Alan a bit of humour is what this hobby is all about.

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 07:39:23 PM »
Another brilliant write up and VERY deserving of a free dig!!

Not just for the write up but for taking care of a members equipment and going the extra mile.
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Uncle Bob

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 10:56:55 PM »
Agreed!  Well done big fella - I enjoyed your tale telling, and well done on helping a fellow detectorist out.

Decent finds too, given the number of signals in the ring pull cemetery!

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:59:43 AM »
Enjoyed your post SG. Keep them coming. ;) ;D

Indiana. :)

Slow Giles

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »
Update.....
Detector and gear dropped off on the way home  :). I also have some rather nice home brew wine (thank you, but you did not have to).  At least, I hope its home brew wine.  :-\

I jest of course.
 Hopefully see you all next week, ideally in an area devoured of Vegans in the 1940's.
If everyone treated others how they would like to be treated themselves, the world will be a better place.

TimChilli

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »
Good to meet you in person, Allan - we had a brief chat about toasted coins and the AT-Pro before I headed off early.

See you again,

Tim

Slow Giles

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 06:14:03 PM »
Nice to meet you as well Tim. Hope the line continues to go from bottom left to top right! (If your the person i think you are, that is going to mean absolutely nothing to you :-[!).

Bluetoon15

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »
Allan

It sounds like you had another good day out... wish I could have been there but have to work sometimes...

Tony
Tony
Peterhead
Garrett AT Pro International

Greendave

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
Brilliant read Allan, glad you managed to reunite the detector with the owner and well done for going the extra mile or 60, don't know which female to bring next week, thinking about giving Angelina Jolie a phone see if she fancies waving a stick about in a field in Scotland, she'd be daft not to, all the best mate..

Slow Giles

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
Hold on a minute, not sure you should be bringing some lass from a foreign land, which lets be honest, does not even have any decent history! No way could I accept her finding a sacred Bovril token!

But hold on, thinking about it, Grant will probably stay for the whole dig if you dig ;D

P.S. I jest Grant, before I get banned from coming along for insulting the organiser.

Greendave

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 11:46:33 PM »
😂😂😂