September 21, 2019, 12:36:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detector Finds » Gold Posy Ring

Author Topic: Gold Posy Ring  (Read 768 times)

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
  • Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!
Gold Posy Ring
« on: May 24, 2019, 05:40:01 PM »
Thought I would post up some pics of what we think is a 17th Century gold posy ring that The Captain found when we were detecting on a new permission over the last 2 days.  He has now pulled up 2 hammies (Voided Long cross quarter and Elisabeth 1 three pence) and the ring.

I found 2 shotties! The field was incredibly quiet otherwise.

Anyway does anyone one here know much about these rings? We will send pics to TT to see if there is interest there but we and the landowner would be interested to find out more about it.

The inscription is a bit unusual reading "Rather die nor change". The design on the outside is also not very like anything we can see on the net, other than one in the British Museum that looks a little similar.

Weight 1.6g

Thoughts?

Muddy
XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
Re: Gold Posy Ring
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:11:53 PM »
Great find and yes TT will be interested in it.

swed49

• Dig Attendee
  • XP ORX
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Very nice 8)

tamhem1

• Rising Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 08:54:25 PM »
lovely find, well done the finder

Sword@Sceptre

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 08:58:57 PM »

SUPERB.... Well found.

erm1969

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
That is very nice indeed. TT are sure to be interested!!

Dirt digger

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
Brilliant find, well done.

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
  • Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 10:15:58 AM »
Well TT have said they are intrerested so now we are just waiting for them to say what to do next.

Feels like this might be quite a drawn out process.

Any tips on moving this forward efficiently? I assume that some level of proactivity will help but not sure what the protocol is now. Do we just wait until they get around to asking us to bring / send it in?

Muddy
XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 10:37:34 PM »
Phwoar, that's a beaut
4 coin hoards.

$cott

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 11:03:21 PM »
amazing. im still to find my first coin lol even a modern day one will make my day at this point.  ;D

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »
A lovely find, well done.

Bounty Hunter

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • To find the past you have to loss the present.
    • Went and forgot ma probe.
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 05:37:16 PM »
Great Find. As regards the TT process it can unfortunately be long and laborious, You will have to fill out a questionnaire that will ask you
Finders name and address, date and location of find and the geographic location  NS NW etc. The questionnaire will also aske you if you gained the land owners permission YES or No.   After you fill that out and send it back to Edinburgh the museum curators will ask you to bring the ring into them and leave it with them for analysis. After that they will value it and then send you a letter from QTR asking you if you agree with the valuation. After that they usually ask the closest museum to the find location if they want to purchase the artefact ? If they agree then TT will inform you of this and ask you if you want to DONATE  the ring to the local museum or receive the full payment ,then all you do is wait on the cheque and split it with the land owner if that is what you both agreed to before you detected  on their land, if not then legally the full payment belongs to you , but at the end of the day that's not really fair play ,but legally if their is no pre signed agreement by you both before hand then  it is solely up to yourself. The staff at TT are really nice anyway and will keep you right.Good Luck BW Gerard aka Bounty Hunter
 :) :) ;) ;)
When detecting always expect the unexpected, if in doubt, prepare to be disappointed, then dig it.If you don't know what a coin is chances are it's not that common and could be worth more than you think.Minelab X-Terra 70,Explorer XS.CSCOPE Newforce R1 ,X-Terra 30,Tesoro Hawkeye.Ace250,TrackerIV,GM4