October 15, 2019, 06:25:19 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Articles Related to Metal Detecting » John Winter's Blog (Moderator: John) » A Contentious Post

Author Topic: A Contentious Post  (Read 535 times)

John

• Scribbler
    • John's Blog
A Contentious Post
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:01:05 PM »
. . . guaranteed to annoy someone, but it’s what I think;
https://www.johnwinter.net/jw/2019/06/a-contentious-post/

Sland

Re: A Contentious Post
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
This could be an interesting discussion :)
Mike
Edinburgh
Garret Ace 400i
CTX 3030

JoeCovenantLamb

• Dig Attendee
  • "There's treasure everywhere!" - Calvin
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »

I feel I *must* take issue...

When I detect (few and far between these days sadly), I *do* wear cammo (just cos it's hard wearing!).

BUT...

...I have never found a crotal bell.

WHERE'S MY CROTAL BELL, EH!?!?!?

Amadeus

• Dig Attendee
  • Am Rockin
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:19:22 PM »
There is a fair bit of joy in getting another gadget. ( Hope springs eternal) especially when leaving the line of cars at the start to charge to the far end of the field where all the good stuff must be.
XP Deus
CTX 3030
AT Pro
Sea Hunter Mk 11
https://youtu.be/XlAUj91QNmo

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
Think we are all guilty of this regardless of the hobby I have a house full of fishing gear and detectors  :laugh: :laugh: And i need them all  :o :o
Alba Gu Bra'th

Rake Aboot

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:28 AM »
Same with any hobby.

getting equipped is part of the hobby and should be part of the joy of the hobby.

Seems to me that some people can't afford new gear or super new high tech and take issue with folk who can.
See it in Stalking and shooting as well.

briser_fae_the_broch

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:37:37 PM »
I get it but oddly enough, when I started out going to DS digs with my conspicuous yellow garret (Euroace), in jeans and an old rip-stop jacket (to fit in), I felt a wee bit awkward and out of place in amongst the Minelabs etc but was never made to feel that way.  I also used to carry a wee bucket around for my iron I kept digging up.
In fact, some people on here were extremely helpful and for the first year I persevered with that detector and a big Nel coil until I felt I had reached the limits with it (not to mention the tennis elbow it gave me) and I bought a Nox.
My reasoning was it was light, wireless and good on the beach, all things the Garret was not.

No, for me the biggest thing I have noticed is not so much the clothing or machine envy (which of course is there), it's the obsession with "hammys" and the sense of failure if there are none at a dig.  No doubt coins, silver, Gold (oh when Lord, when?) and Hammy's are awesome and desirable but for me, so are historical artefacts and I would rather go home with a bronze age axehead than a couple of eddy pennies.

PS - I also have a garage full of fishing gear and have never found a crotal bell!  :D
You dig?

Another one taken over by the Nox!

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
  • Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 07:15:55 AM »

No, for me the biggest thing I have noticed is not so much the clothing or machine envy (which of course is there), it's the obsession with "hammys" and the sense of failure if there are none at a dig.  No doubt coins, silver, Gold (oh when Lord, when?) and Hammy's are awesome and desirable but for me, so are historical artefacts and I would rather go home with a bronze age axehead than a couple of eddy pennies.

PS - I also have a garage full of fishing gear and have never found a crotal bell!  :D

Interesting point. I'll admit to having a bit of an obsession with Hammies for a couple of reasons. First I think it takes a good bit of skill to find the smaller ones as the signals are often not great, so being able to find them amongst all of those iffy signals is for me quite an achievement (I don't speak from much experience as I have only found three - but that might be becuase I have passed over hundreds of iffy signals on fields full of  modern junk!). Second I do think they are very interesting things; rare up here, fun to identify and their age all make for a great metal detecting find. All of that said I'm totally with you on the Bronze age side of things. A Bronze age aze head is top of my wish list.

PS: How the hell you expect to find a crotal bell with fishing gear is beyone me but I admire your style  ;D

Muddy
XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!