December 12, 2019, 10:33:19 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detecting Stories » Culross 4th August - light hearted report

Author Topic: Culross 4th August - light hearted report  (Read 843 times)

Slow Giles

Culross 4th August - light hearted report
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:02:00 AM »
Cinderella dig – AKA as Culross 4th August

First of all, I have been worried about our illustrious leader Grant for some time. The absence of digs, the quietness on the site, reports of him popping up slightly unshaven and with a suntan, all the signs of someone under pressure and going home unhappy after the digs.  :-\

Today I thought I would make sure he would go home happier than the day would start out for him. So, I took it apron myself (plus a few other helpers if I’m honest), to make sure he started off a bit moody, by not listening to anything he said and consequently got stuck in the mud entering the field.
(Its dedication like this to fellow members, that make this group work so well. Always going out of our way to help a fellow in need. :D)

This did seem to have the desired result, the dark stare in the morning >:(, had turned into a much happier look at lunchtime, although he was still not willing to show his thimble to me…….. ::) ::)

Dave and the ladies were there today, although still no sign of the famous Australian Nicole that is known to dabble with the odd bit of metal detecting. Dave, any update? has her visa been delayed again?

So for me, my 6th time of using the CTX machine instead of the Garrett AT Pro.

Q1. Do I know what I’m doing with it?
Not really if I’m honest, but each time I remember a new bit of the manual and things are starting to click. Still have to listen to the sounds and stop looking at the numbers all the time.

Q2. Do I still dig up coke?
No, I have been smokeless for ages now and feeling far better for it.

Q3. Am I still digging up more iron than nice things?
Well, today was the breakthrough, for the first time, I had more shiny things at the end of the day than rusty things :). Was going to have a ciggy in celebration, then remembered, I'm smokeless now since I swapped detectors.

For me, I started off near the Kirk side of the field, as that was as far away from Grant as I could get (he still had that moody look in his eyes). I took 2 hours to get halfway down the field (where the trees stuck out), which had resulted in 1 coin (1600's I think) and a fair few buttons. Then walked back to the car for a natter and a bite to eat. Chatting lunchtime, looking at the weather, I decided to stay in the car park field and have a go down the middle of it. A few more buttons appeared, before a strange signal had me going over the same target for a few minutes, before deciding to get on my knees and pray to the god of Metal Detectorists and have dig.

A few minutes later, having only dug down about 12 inches, a nice shiny hammered short cross coin was in my hand. Had to ask the nearest digger to confirm this (so sorry I cannot name you, I could say for security reasons, but in reality, I’m useless at remembering names) who then gave me some really good advice.

“Don’t annoy Grant, you might end up getting a tree felled on your car". Followed by another useful tip of marking the spot so you can then search around it. We both had a good search, but no more was to be found, before rain stopped play for me and it was a swagger of a walk back to the car to show off something other than a rusty nail.
With the rain still falling, I took the option of leaving early, managing a short 20 seconds of wheel spinning in the entrance (just to show I can easily repeat the feat of the beginning of the day), before slipping up the track to the main road. Then a brave dash to get out of the road (boy, a risky exit at the speed cars were coming round that corner) and a drive back up to Aberdeen for the evening, to open a bottle in celebration.
As per usual, thanks to everyone for the organisation, tips, tricks, company, telling me the world is flat, no one has ever gone to the moon, why we find so many buttons in fields and many other things, many repeatable.
Hopefully will catch up with you again next week, once I have found a place I can hire a tractor to make sure I don’t get stuck entering the dig site………..

Cinderella Dig? Well buttons did seem to be the leading role today.
Slow Giles
If everyone treated others how they would like to be treated themselves, the world will be a better place.

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
Re: Culross 4th August - light hearted report
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »
Haha, brilliant ..
Well done on your hammy, it really is a cracker 😊🙌
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

johnl

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »
well done on your first hammy ,fell flat on my face trying to help folk out ,ended up soaked ,hope the blue van got out  he was probably homr before me got lost again,

TimChilli

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 02:33:13 PM »
Great work, SG.

Can you get a photo of your hammered find onto the forum? Keen to see it.

Cheers,

Tim

Bluetoon15

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »
Great report and would also like to see the hammered coin...

Tony
Tony
Peterhead
Garrett AT Pro International

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »
Love it 😁

I’m gong to write and idiots guide to driving on soft ground 😂
Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »
Im sure this was your hammy SlowGiles? Clearly remember drooling over it in the rain 😂👍 well done again.
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »
Funny report as usual SG. Well done on your first hammy it makes it all worth while

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 09:26:40 PM »
 A really  nice find, what was it I.D. as ?

AJS67

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 07:27:50 AM »
Nice hammy .. well done !

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »
Well found, that's a lovely hammy. ;)

Slow Giles

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »
If I could I would.

But as I have hired Eleanor as my press agent (I would like to make it clear, its an unpaid job), all pictures and details will have t be released via Eleanor, until this thicko reads the hints I have been sent on how to post pictures.
If everyone treated others how they would like to be treated themselves, the world will be a better place.