December 09, 2019, 10:06:35 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Articles Related to Metal Detecting » John Winter's Blog (Moderator: John) » Reasons for Detecting

Author Topic: Reasons for Detecting  (Read 952 times)

John

• Scribbler
    • John's Blog
Reasons for Detecting
« on: October 18, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
I was browsing an American detecting site the other day where the main reason given for buying a machine was that detecting is one of the few hobbies that really pays for itself. Not sure about that.

READ MORE
https://www.johnwinter.net/jw/2019/10/reasons-for-metal-detecting/

Sland

Re: Reasons for Detecting
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »
I am  medically retired Military Veteran aged 57.  I struggle with both physical mental health due to my service.  I know that it is important to get outside but need to be sensible about how much energy I burn up. 
Detecting is the hobby that I identified that could help me get some outside space, meet people without being constrained to talk to them all day (which is mentally draining for me) and chill out as much as possible.
I fell foul of some of the forum rules because I failed to attend several meets I had signed up for, that was my fault because I hadn't let the folks know about my issues, but having apologised to Grant and Jim, and having explained myself to them, I am grateful for the response I received.
I still am wary of signing up for digs because I know things could stop me going again but I have been in contact with a very helpful lady in Crown Estate Scotland who sends me maps of areas where Crown Estate allow Detecting without having to seek permission.  That helps a lot.
I don't care if I never find a hoard but I would absolutely love to find something of historical significance that could be appreciated by everyone.

Well that my piece for the night.
Keep swinging folks.
Mike
Edinburgh
CTX 3030 / Garret Ace 400i

John

• Scribbler
    • John's Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »
Thank you for the comment. What you say is relevant and we all have problems. Give folks the benefit of the doubt. I'm pleased that the hobby is 'working' for you. Good on 'yer! I wish you well.

The blog and being The Searcher Assistant Editor is what keeps me in touch with the hobby. Haven't detected for years. I am confined to a wheelchair (growing old is cruel - I'm 78). My wife has dementia and we care for each other. Could say more, but that's enough.

Sland

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 10:53:42 PM »
Thank you for the comment. What you say is relevant and we all have problems. Give folks the benefit of the doubt. I'm pleased that the hobby is 'working' for you. Good on 'yer! I wish you well.

The blog and being The Searcher Assistant Editor is what keeps me in touch with the hobby. Haven't detected for years. I am confined to a wheelchair (growing old is cruel - I'm 78). My wife has dementia and we care for each other. Could say more, but that's enough.
Bless you John.  Stay strong and best wishes to you and your wife, my wife works in rehab for folks with brain injuries and issues.  Must be hard.  Appreciate all the information you have given to us all over the years..#Respect
Mike
Edinburgh
CTX 3030 / Garret Ace 400i

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 02:37:34 PM »
Looking forward to reading this article when it becomes available.

Sorry to hear of your change in circumstances, all the best.