December 15, 2019, 05:07:46 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Detecting Stories » Collecting Information - Cattle Shoes

Author Topic: Collecting Information - Cattle Shoes  (Read 530 times)

John

• Dig Attendee
  • Scribbler
    • John's Blog
Collecting Information - Cattle Shoes
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »
I hope to be writing and article on Highland Cattle, Dovers and their Trysts. I f anyone has found ox shoes  and suchlike, I'd love to have a pictures and any details, however brief. Thank you.

Caberfeidh

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
Re: Collecting Information - Cattle Shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 11:48:41 AM »
I was disappointed when I dug a signal only to find a half horse shoe on a detecting rally in a muddy, freezing, rain-soaked and gale-lashed potato field in Perthshire. I only discovered some time later that these were from cattle being shod prior to being driven south from the highlands to the great cattle trysts of the south. This may have been from an ox which was part of the great cattle economy of the highlands, it may have been driven by those who told tales of Rob Roy MacGregor around the campfire at night, the ox may have been destined for salt beef and leather to aid the red-coated British Army and Royal Navy in the fight against Napoloen's murderous hordes as they killed and looted their way across Europe. Even though it is just a wee rusty bit of scrap, it has a story to tell.

John

• Dig Attendee
  • Scribbler
    • John's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
Thank you for the picture and write-up. It is appreciated.
Can you supply your real name?

Caberfeidh

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »
Dr Neil Oliver did an interesting programme on the drovers, retracing their routes from the Isle of Skye down through the highlands. I can't find it on BBC  iPlayer or YouTube.