December 07, 2019, 02:23:01 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Hammered coin Identification » I think this is a hammy fragment!

Author Topic: I think this is a hammy fragment!  (Read 466 times)

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
I think this is a hammy fragment!
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:45:23 PM »
I found this fragment of what I think is a hammy, on one of my permissions a couple of weeks ago and it has me stumped as I can't identify it. It's copper alloy, very thin and measures 1.5 cms in diameter. One side has what looks like squares and the reverse side has some feint lettering at the top right and I think I can see a head in the centre but it could be my imagination!
My first guess was a Charles then again it could be a small token or maybe a foreign coin. Any ideas anybody?

Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Deteknix X Pointer

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
Re: I think this is a hammy fragment!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:43:46 PM »
Not at all a coin man, but had a go. Apols if you already know all this. I think your reverse pic needs to be rotated 90° clockwise; you can then see the finial at the top of the shield; it doesn't seem to have one at the side or bottom. The obverse seems to have a have a II (for 2d?) at the right, so the pic needs to be rotated another 15° or so clockwise (unless the value goes at the left per James I.) The coin has the look of a James I or Charles II hammered half-groat, but I cant find a match either. And I  cant make out CAROLUS, JACOBUS or FRA ET HIB near the II. Possible forgery? Well that's my tuppenceworth... Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:47:28 PM by Seagoon »

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:09:25 AM »
Many thanks for that Seagoon. I am not a coin man either and my first thought when I unearthed it was Charles. Don't you just hate it when you can see some detail but not enough to make a positive identification and the more you look at it, you begin to see all sorts of things! I think you could be right about it being a forgery as there is a tiny wee bit of what looks like silver gilt on one edge. An interesting wee find all the same and all part of the fun of detecting! Many thanks again for your help.
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Deteknix X Pointer

tamhem1

• Rising Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 06:32:12 PM »
Hi there m8 , your coin may be made of billon, or debased silver , as to type of coin I’m not
Knowledgable enough to hazard a guess , but still it’s a nice wee find👍🏻

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 06:49:47 PM »
Nice find Hawkeye, whatever it turns out to be. Looking forward to your next one. Good luck and cheers for posting.

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 09:15:47 PM »
Thanks for the comments fellas. Stuck at home nursing a bad back at present and itching to get back out!
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Deteknix X Pointer

Seagoon

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 12:53:28 AM »
Gave it another go. It looks like a James I half-groat. The obverse pic is upside down. You can make out S P beside the II. The coin looks it's of debased silver, as tamhem says. Sorry for all the pics cluttering up the place. Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 01:01:43 AM by Seagoon »

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 06:03:51 AM »
Spot on Seagoon! I've had another look at it under the loup, using your pic as reference and I can see it all fits. I just wish it had been in better condition but that apart, it's the first one of this type I have found so well chuffed with it! Many thanks for taking the time to check it out for me and coming up with the answer with so little to go on.
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Deteknix X Pointer