December 07, 2019, 01:27:36 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Advice for Beginners » Good beginner detector

Author Topic: Good beginner detector  (Read 364 times)

Al

Good beginner detector
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:16:13 PM »
HI,

I'm looking to buy a new metal detector but unsure what to buy.  I would like a reasonable decent machine preferably sub £1000 better still if its a few hundred cheaper, but I don't mind paying up to £1000 if the extra  is worth while spending.  I was looking at the Garrett AT pro international, but then I've just watched a video on this site showing it rejecting a stack of copper coins, so no I've no idea on what to buy.

I live in a highland village called Lochcarron that is on the west coast of Scotland, and I have no idea yet where I will be using the detector, but I do envisage that some of the time it will be used on wet sandy beaches as well as muddy fields and not so muddy fields.

Any help & advice will be much appreciated

Many thanks in advance

Al

Sland

Re: Good beginner detector
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:34:32 PM »
Mike
Edinburgh
CTX 3030 / Garret Ace 400i

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
Hi Al, and welcome to the forum.

The Equinox series seems to be popular just now, made by Minelab. The 600 model goes for around £680, add another £200 for the 800 model, it comes with wireless headphones and an all gold mode. Both are good for the beach and fully waterproof.
 I wouldn’t spend a fortune on your first detector, you’ll no doubt want to upgrade as you get more into the hobby. I’m sure you’ll have some more replies on here with other recommendations to choose from.

Good luck :)

Sam

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 10:52:44 PM »
You should look into buying a pin pointer as well, Garrett’s are good. That’s another £100+  :(.
They do save a lot of time and effort though...
GL

hawkeye

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »
I have used a Garrett AT Pro for the past four years or so and in my experience, it's a great all rounder. It is really two detectors in one as you can set it to standard mode which gives a consistent bell tone whenever it detects any metal so it's great for beginners. Once you progress, you can switch to pro mode which totally changes the characteristics of the machine. Over time, once you get to grips with the signals it generates,  you won't miss much if you're walking over it! It also ground balances to wet sand and the big bonus is it is totally waterproof. I have used it on pasture, stubble, plough, wet and dry sand and it has produced many nice finds for me over the years. Just my opinion of course and I am sure there will be many others! Good luck.
Garrett AT Pro International
Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Deteknix X Pointer

Al

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 04:10:12 PM »
I've just ordered the Minelab Equinox 800 from Crawfords, now just have to convince the wife why I needed to spend that much  ;D

Sam

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 04:43:04 PM »
Good choice, I’m sure that machine will serve you well.
GL+HH.
 :)

Sland

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 06:59:32 PM »
I've just ordered the Minelab Equinox 800 from Crawfords, now just have to convince the wife why I needed to spend that much  ;D
Ordering is the easy part, good luck with the wife :)
Mike
Edinburgh
CTX 3030 / Garret Ace 400i