July 07, 2020, 03:21:23 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Beach Detecting » Craig Tara caravan park

Author Topic: Craig Tara caravan park  (Read 575 times)

santaclaus

Craig Tara caravan park
« on: December 13, 2019, 05:48:45 PM »
Hi,I have been metal detecting for about 4 months now and have been enjoying detecting the beach with my cscope 4pi. I have just booked a caravan holiday at Easter and was wondering if anyone had detected the beach at Craig Tara caravan park or if anyone knows if this would be allowed or not. I have not called or emailed the park to ask yet as I thought I would ask here first. I thought it might be of interest to others and also allow me to put my first post up on the site and introduce myself .
Many thanks in advance
Paul

Magnas

Re: Craig Tara caravan park
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 07:11:51 PM »
I’ve detected on that beach many times without problems. In fact if you check the map you’ll see Greenan Castle perched on the cliffs just a few hundred yards to the east of your campsite. If you detect the beach just below that you’ll find your own body weight in 18th century bullets and a few musket balls too. Nice place to detect.

santaclaus

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 08:41:42 PM »
Thanks a lot Magnas, I am looking forward to my holiday even more now.

Caberfeidh

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »
The beaches there are all fairly good for detecting, albeit with the usual rubbish. A warning though, that area was used for troop training during the two world wars and some unexploded ordnance occasionally shows up. Just last year someone found a live mortar bomb just lying on the surface amongst bushes. Years ago someone got a great signal on the shore directly under Greenan Castle but instead of ancient treasure they dug up a pile of live anti-aircraft shells! So be carefull with that spade... On a lighter note, the shore was used as a highway before roads were built to any decent standard, there are castles along the coast from Greenan to Culzean and Turnberry, Vikings, Anglo-Saxons and Irish raiders all visited so there may be ancient and interesting stuff to be found. And it's a lovely spot with spectacular views over to Arran and the Mull of Kintyre. I was there with the kid last summer rock-pooling at the Heads of Ayr and we found bullets swept by the tides into a shallow hollow in the rocks, without even using a detector.

Sam

• Dig Attendee
  • Team Minelab! -On ‘Safari’
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 09:35:49 PM »
Hi Santaclaus and welcome to the forum. Good luck with your beach hunt...