July 07, 2020, 03:25:01 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Forum Announcements and News » Forum News » 2019 XMAS MESSAGE

Author Topic: 2019 XMAS MESSAGE  (Read 934 times)

Grant

• Administrator
  • Darth Poster
  • Hola me LLamo Grant
2019 XMAS MESSAGE
« on: December 24, 2019, 10:53:06 AM »
Hi all!
Firstly myself, jim, Ellie and John would like to
Wish you all a Merry Xmas and prosperous 2020.

The year 2020 sees us into our 10th anniversary, and what a 10 years it has been!

Rewind to 2010 and Detectingscotland.com got off the ground and planned it’s first and supposed to be only organised dig! That first venue some of you still here attended at Bannockburn an area no stranger to the history books!

At this time there were no other regular organised open digs taking place, just a few small Clubs like SARG & Antonine as we lagged a little behind england in this respect where central searchers and the like were getting our regularly.
Also we were the only online forum open to all however Sarg did have a little used members only forum.

Anyway it soon transpired that organising Sunday digs was the best way of getting youngsters and newbies out and enjoying the hobby as it’s often a case of no land in those early days!

The following year another digs outfit got started up (toodys digs) and roll forward to the edge of 2020 we have 3 sites/ offering regular digs and that is a good thing as you have choice! We didn’t in those early days and my advice is the same now as it’s always been, think of the organised digs on offer as a buffet to pick from. They aren’t football teams 😂

All talk of ‘loyalty’ and membership fees or raised prices for ‘non members/regulars’ and the like are a cynical ploy to ensure you are giving your money to the same group all the time or worse to make you feel Uncomfortable about attending another groups dig.
Their motivation?

DS never has and never will
Attempt to place it’s attendees in this sort of predicament/discomfort and will continue to charge only one rate of dig fees with non detecting guests and under 16s going free.

Loan gear will continue to always be free as will any help or tuition/guidance.

Many will have noticed I’ve (grant) taken more of a back seat in 2019 doing more admin and less digs with Jim taking that side of things on.

This is for two reasons. 1 jim is very good at selecting and getting land and has always been a massive help to
Me when needed.
2 before I joined the RN I wanted to be some sort of tree surgeon but it wasn’t a viable option at the time, roll on 20 odd years and my wife said to do what makes me happy (probably after I’d spent an hour bitching about dentistry) 😁 so I did! To cut a long story short I work for a tree surgery company part time gaining experience while attending courses for each qualification down south and I do ‘homers’ as well as processing tonnes of firewood logs each month.

In addition I’ve been collecting vintage Stihl chainsaws and have working models from as far back as the early 60s, I’ve also been buying and repairing broken ones and reselling them or fixing saws for friends and currently have around 15!! Which includes 4 climbing (top handle) saws.

For now that means I tend to work about 10-12 days in a row before I take a day off, in addition we are doing the 51 capitals challenge (visiting every capital in Europe) recently we have been to Paris, Amsterdam, Vienna, Bratislava and as I write this I’m sitting on a plane on route to Poland for Xmas. In January it’s Prague, feb I’m on course down south again (climbing and aerial cutting) March it’s Athens, May is back to Amsterdam yep we liked it that much! June is our wedding anniversary and that trip isn’t booked yet but I think it’ll be funchal, the other months aren’t sorted yet apart from October (Madrid) most trips are long weekend city breaks as I’m not a sunbather and get fed up if I’m a place too long (miss the dogs) I suppose I’m long windedly making the point that sundays are kinda tied up be it work rest or play.

However detecting is one of those hobbies you can fall out of and back into just as easily! After all my first spell in the hobby was in the mid 90s then a several year break then back into it late 90s then another break until 2010!

I won’t be out completely, just keeping house while Jim assisted by his lovely fiancée Ellie do the hard work!
Just helping them as and when and also if they are away.

So whether we see you once in 2020 or every week, have a great festive season and hope to see as many of you as possible when I am in attendance at a Sunday dig!

Nearly forgot!
was thinking we haven’t had any DS merchandise for a while (since 2017) so looking at maybe doing some 10th anniversary items, suggestions welcome.

Going from previous experience though it’ll be mail order with free delivery rather than out the boot of the car as you end up carting uncollected stuff around for
Months people
Already paid for etc too much hassle.

Suggestions welcome or if no real interest it’s no problem
Keep smilin, keep diggin and keep keepin up

Oh look! another arsehole ;-) (people watching the professional beggars round central station)

Bruno

• Dig Attendee
Re: 2019 XMAS MESSAGE
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
Well I must say I've really enjoyed this year at ds and have made some great finds. Keep up the good work as it's most appreciated. Bruno.

Indiana

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 10:01:57 PM »
Hope everyone involved with DS has a Merry Christmas, and I hope to squeeze in a few more digs with you in 2020.

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
All the best guys  :) Keep up the good work  :)
Alba Gu Bra'th

gasman

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 01:40:11 PM »
well said and done, keep up the great work  ;)

Dirt digger

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 11:02:16 PM »
Merry Christmas DS team, thanks for organising all the digs every Sunday. Here's to 2020 and all the goodies still to be found.

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »
Yeah, thanks for all the hard work organising the digs. Got my first hammered at the rally. Keep up the good work 👍

William lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »
Cheers for the hard work the DS team

2digornot

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
Well done to all the admin and a big thanks for almost 10 years of digs. I was at the first one at Bannockburn and many more over the years. Long may they continue.

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 01:45:18 PM »
Well done to all the admin and a big thanks for almost 10 years of digs. I was at the first one at Bannockburn and many more over the years. Long may they continue.
Aye you were at the battle anaw  ::) ::)
Alba Gu Bra'th

Granty

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 10:34:09 PM »
Merry Christmas to all involved & look forward to another year with the DS team 👌🏻