August 10, 2020, 07:21:25 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Beginners' Section » Help a Newbie Corner! » Brand new to it all!

Author Topic: Brand new to it all!  (Read 747 times)

eqcons

Brand new to it all!
« on: January 20, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
Hi everyone,

After years of thinking "I'd like to do that", I've bought a metal detector - a used Garrett AT Pro.  I've had a few hours mucking around in our (biggish) garden with it, but I find it really difficult, as the detector bleeps a lot, when there's apparently no repeatable signal!  I've watched the Garrett videos twice, so I have the basics, but I wonder if there's anyone nearby who might give me a bit of instruction...  I'm at Loch Earn, in Perthshire.  If someone familiar with the AT Pro could spare me an hour or two, it would help me a huge amount, and I'd like to come on a dig or two, which I see happens on Sundays.  Before I do that and make a complete *"$^%" of myself by digging at every signal like a homesick Australian, if I could just be a little better at using the AT Pro, I'd be a happy man! Anyone?  Happy to come to you!

Also, I have discovered that you can't detect at designated monument sites, and those seem to be eaasily marked out at https://pastmap.org.uk/map However, there's also, selectable on the map, places with a "Historic Environment Record" - are we allowed to detect there?

Thanks everyone, sorry if I'm asking stupid things!

Jim

Chilgrove

• Dig Attendee
    • www.caltechlifts.co.uk
Re: Brand new to it all!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 05:43:23 PM »
Good choice of machine Eqcons.

eqcons

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 05:58:00 PM »
Thanks Chilgrove, that's reassuring, for when I learn to use it properly, LOL!

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »
Hey , dont be embarrassed to just come to a dig first! Loads of current or former AtPro users would be happy to give you a hand. I had an AtPro previously, and although im no expert, would be happy to help with settings etc for first part of day. Great machine once youve got the hang of it 😊👍  But yes, I remember screaming in a field " this thing is just beeping at meee.." 😂😂   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 08:45:46 PM by EleanorF »
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

eqcons

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 01:16:10 PM »
Thanks Eleanor!  :)   Yes, it certainly beeps at every opportunity, seemingly whether there's anything there or not!  I did find a nail (on the surface) and a large cast iron  thing - like an old drain cover with a 6" hole in the middle, about 8" down.  (The house was burned down by Suffragettes in 1914, and I suspect that an area of the garden was used to dump stuff during the rebuild.)  The signal from that was not at all what I expected, of course!   If anyone is interested in detecting the garden here (about 3 acres in total, though a lot of it is steep, wooded terrain), they'd be welcome.

If I come to a dig, what do I need to bring?   Obviously the detector (!), but I don't have a nice little spade or anything like others all seem to have, and no little pinpointer wand thingy.

Cheers,

Jim

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 08:30:35 AM »
Hey, apart from your detector, you would need a spade, and we ask that you use headphones. Pinpointer not always necessary to start off with, they just make your life easier 😊. A hip or waist pouch or decent large pockets are handy as scrap is to be lifted from the hole.
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »
Ask away mate we all had to do it  :)  Best to come to a dig and people will help you out  :)
Alba Gu Bra'th

eqcons

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 07:23:48 PM »
Going to try to make tomorrow's dig, not sure yet. :-)

Oh, please can someone tell me the answer to "who makes the yellow peril?" - when the question to post is that, I get proper stuck!  :-X

johnl

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 08:01:56 PM »
you will be fine .a great bunch of people who come from all walks of life .they will help you get your machine up and running .rememember loads of newbies  also .then if you want to go on the field on your own plenty space. good luck.

eqcons

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 12:52:41 PM »
Thans Johnl.  Electrician was supposed to arrive early to fix out a problem in the house - still hasn't appeared, so no dig for me today.  :'(

Lil Miss Row

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 03:58:03 PM »
You own one, buddy! Garrett is the yellow peril :)
you will be fine .a great bunch of people who come from all walks of life .they will help you get your machine up and running .rememember loads of newbies  also .then if you want to go on the field on your own plenty space. good luck.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 04:00:13 PM by Lil Miss Row »
Newbie from Ross-shire

Lil Miss Row

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 04:10:34 PM »
JohnL is super helpful. I went to my first dig last week and he spent ages answering questions, and even gave me some cool coins he had found. 

Everyone asked how we were getting on throughout the day, and all were so welcoming.

Another fellow came over when he saw me struggling, and gave me a great tip when you don't have a pointer. Turn detector on its side and hold each fist of earth in front of it (in a hand with no rings or metal sleeve buttons on, of course). Eventually a handful will beep, and your find is in there. Super helpful as my husband and daughter had gone off with our pointer.

Pick up one of the wee fibreglass spades for a tenner from screwfix or toolstation. Or order a trenching spade from Amazon for about £17. A wee towel can be handy too, but a garden metal one will set off your detector, lol. 

Hope you can make next dig. Haven't seen where it is, so not sure if we'll manage down from Highlands. If so, I've a wee spade you can have (that Jim gave me last dig!).
Newbie from Ross-shire

Lil Miss Row

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 04:13:06 PM »
Trowel even! 😂  Although a towel to wipe muddy finds is a good idea too (I got this idea from Doodles' video, made at last week's dig).
Newbie from Ross-shire

eqcons

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
Thanks Lil Miss Row! ;D