March 29, 2020, 07:37:08 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Click here if you
need van signs

Or here if you
need magnetic signs

DetectingScotland.com - Metal Detecting in Scotland, UK » Forum » Detecting Discussions » Treasure Trove Finds and Discussion » Is Treasure Trove Scotland doing anything these days?

Author Topic: Is Treasure Trove Scotland doing anything these days?  (Read 571 times)

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
  • Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!
Is Treasure Trove Scotland doing anything these days?
« on: January 31, 2020, 10:51:54 AM »
Might be the wrong place for this post but maybe the mods will move it if necessary.

So, has anyone had any meaningful interaction with TTS recently?

I ask because my detecting buddy found a really nice Elizabethan gold posy ring mid last year and he obviously reported it to TT after showing the landowner.

He got a reply from TT saying yes they were interested and they would be in touch. Since then nothing - despite a good few reminder emails from him.

We found the ring on a brand new permission.  The landowner, who is a friend of my wife, got very excited and has been waiting for us the hear back from TT. My worry is that she will begin to wonder if we are telling porkie pies and have not reported it at all. This puts us in a much more difficult position than we would be had we not reported it!

The ring has some reasonable value we think, and of course the landowner is entitled to half of this should the ring be bought by a museum. In the absence of anything happening the landowner could well be getting a bit cheesed off.

I know the TTS department is very stretched just now but surely this becomes massively self defeating at some point.

If you report stuff and then nothing ever happens eventually people will simply not bother reporting it. They must see that the people who are reporting finds are the good guys and that without them then nothing gets reported.

So, is there anything happening at TTS these days or has it ground to halt due to chronic lack of investment and staff?

XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

Advanced Ring Pull and Scrap Lead Digger!

SteveUrk

Re: Is Treasure Trove Scotland doing anything these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 11:43:52 AM »
That is a great question as i have had the same deal. I sent in a gold ring last April and have had 1 email from them about it.
I found a bronze age Adze last week and sent them a picture about it, lets see how long they take with this to reply

AJS67

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »
TT's Emily and Ella are pretty quick at sending out receipts for stuff  I've sent in to them but who knows what their backlog is .. I've had stuff in for over 9 months .. as long as landowner gets to see a receipt from TT they will know you've done your bit .. it will just take time to process through TT :)

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:05:48 PM »
If you can take the ring into them Thats the best way to speed them up  ;)
Alba Gu Bra'th

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
If you can take the ring into them Thats the best way to speed them up  ;)

Totally agree - I have suggested this but in fairness it is quite a trek to get in to Edinburgh.

If you do take it in I assume you have to arrange an appointment to make sure one of them is around right? Certainly you would want a receipt etc

Anyway, being more proactive is clearly the best way to move this forward.
XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:04:23 PM »
Just a wee note on the TTU. It's job is to report any finds to the Queens and Lord Treasure's Remembrance under the Bona Vacantia law which means the crown has the first claim on any object whose rightful owner cannot be traced. The TTU is allocated it's finance through the Scottish Executive (which is the Scottish government) and their allocation allowance is paltry for their workload. They not only have to deal with metal detector finds but finds from other members of the public and archaeological finds as well. This same Scottish government spent £46.4 million for the building work on the Chamber street museum but cannot bring themselves to give the TTU a decent allowance for their important work to employ more staff and this is why there are long delays processing finds.
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

EleanorF

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »
If an item is TT worthy, its deffo best to just get it into them asap, and get your receipt, that way it is in the system, rather than just emails notifying them of the find.
If Edinburgh not too far for you, the ladies are happy to pop down to the museum reception desk IF they are in the office (call in advance).
TT also operates outreach days, in museums all over Scotland, which are really handy. Drop in sessions, they will have a desk in a museum side room, happy to look at finds, have a chat and issue receipts for anything they take. No dates up for 2020 yet, but usually advertised on twitter and Facebook, and I will post on the forum once dates up. I really recommend these days.
Always let farmers know there are long delays in the Treasure Trove process so they have no quick expectations.
Good luck with the ring 😊👍
Finds - few
Enthusiasm- plenty

Itsthemar

• Dig Attendee
  • 2015 - 33+ Hammered, 1 Dragonesque Brooch
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »
I contacted them a couple weeks ago about handing in several objects and Emily (TT) sent me a message saying she would be in touch....... never happened, that's the 1st reply I've had from TT in a LONG time...... I've always been a believer in handing stuff in but how many times can you chase them before giving up?!
4 coin hoards.

KillieDee

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 02:14:27 AM »
When Anna found her MBA axe head Stuart came through to Dundee to see it and the TT process was pretty quick. I think that since he and Natasha left things have slowed down a little. Maybe pressure of time and volume of submissions have contributed to this. Be patient - your submissions will be adressed.

2digornot

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 10:27:09 AM »
KillieDee
Total opposite. Many of us know about the legacy left by Emily's predecessors. Many months dealing with a backlog of unrecorded and unreturned finds. The current team are under resourced for the volume of finds that now flow through TT. As Grumpy John skas lack of funding is the main issue.

I am meeting Emily this evening and will relay the forum members concerns (again)

Muddy

• Dig Attendee
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »
KillieDee
Total opposite. Many of us know about the legacy left by Emily's predecessors. Many months dealing with a backlog of unrecorded and unreturned finds. The current team are under resourced for the volume of finds that now flow through TT. As Grumpy John skas lack of funding is the main issue.

I am meeting Emily this evening and will relay the forum members concerns (again)

Any feedback from Emily from your meeting?

I imagine the TT team must be under immense pressure so I hope they understand we are not having a go at them directly - rather that we are simply keen for there to be a solution in sight.

Muddy
XP Deus

Garrett Ace 400i

jrmcleod

• Dig Attendee
  • Rising Member
  • TEAM AT PRO
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »
Just a wee note on the TTU. It's job is to report any finds to the Queens and Lord Treasure's Remembrance under the Bona Vacantia law which means the crown has the first claim on any object whose rightful owner cannot be traced. The TTU is allocated it's finance through the Scottish Executive (which is the Scottish government) and their allocation allowance is paltry for their workload. They not only have to deal with metal detector finds but finds from other members of the public and archaeological finds as well. This same Scottish government spent £46.4 million for the building work on the Chamber street museum but cannot bring themselves to give the TTU a decent allowance for their important work to employ more staff and this is why there are long delays processing finds.

Interesting that the "SNP bad" stories follow through even onto metal detecting forums too...tiresome!
TEAM AT PRO

Garrett AT Pro International
Garret Pro Pointer

grumpyjohn

• Deputy Admin
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 04:17:25 PM »
There was no mention of the SNP. This goes back to devolution and has just been carried forward by successive governments since then!!! Get off your high horse!!! :(
Better to live a rich life and die poor ,than live a poor life and die rich
English by birth, Scots by choice !

TheJim

• Dig Attendee
  • Exalted Poster
  • Team Minelab
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
There was no mention of the SNP. This goes back to devolution and has just been carried forward by successive governments since then!!! Get off your high horse!!! :(
Spot on John !
Alba Gu Bra'th